Affiliation: University of the West of England
- Does home based medication review keep older people out of hospital? The HOMER randomised controlled trialRichard Holland
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ
BMJ 330:293. 2005..To determine whether home based medication review by pharmacists affects hospital readmission rates among older people...
- Rhetoric or reality? A systematic review of the impact of participatory approaches by UK public health units on health and social outcomesD Evans
School of Health and Social Care, University of the West of England, Bristol, Glenside Campus, Blackberry Hill, Bristol BS16 1DD, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 32:418-26. 2010..UK policy rhetoric on participation in public health has been particularly marked since 1997. It is less clear that participatory approaches have been pursued by UK public health units in practice...
- The role of schools of public health: learning from history, looking to the futureDavid Evans
School of Health and Social Care, University of the West of England, Bristol, Glenside Campus Blackberry Hill, Bristol BS16 1DD, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 31:446-50. 2009..Schools of public health have the potential to make a central contribution to progress in public health practice in the twenty-first century...
- Patient Advice and Liaison Services: results of an audit survey in EnglandDavid Evans
Reader in Applied Health Policy Research, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, UWE Bristol, Glenside Campus, Blackberry Hill, Bristol, UK
Health Expect 11:304-16. 2008..To assess the extent national standards for Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) were achieved across England...
- Through the glass ceiling - and back again: the experiences of two of the first non-medical directors of public health in EnglandDavid Evans
University of the West of England, Bristol Glenside Campus, Blackberry Hill, Bristol BS16 1DD, UK
Public Health 121:426-31. 2007..The paper reflects on both the degree of change this opening represented and the limitations and tensions such appointments exposed...
- The impact of a quasi-market on sexually transmitted disease services in the UKD Evans
Faculty of Health and Social Care, University of the West of England, Blackberry Hill, Bristol, UK
Soc Sci Med 49:1287-98. 1999..The study concludes that the commissioning of STD services is likely to remain a low priority in the new NHS structures based on primary care groups...
- Developing a multi-disciplinary public health specialist workforce: training implications of current UK policyD Evans
Bristol North Primary Care Trust, Bristol, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 56:744-7. 2002
- Exemplar status for NHS trustDavid Evans
Health Estate 60:41-3. 2006
- History of multidisciplinary public health mini-symposiumTeri Knight
Public Health 121:401-3. 2007
- The effectiveness of music as an intervention for hospital patients: a systematic reviewDavid Evans
The Joanna Briggs Institute for Evidence Based Nursing and Midwifery, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
J Adv Nurs 37:8-18. 2002..This systematic review was conducted to investigate the effectiveness of music as an intervention for hospital patients...
- The challenge of preventing environmentally related disease in young children: community-based research in New York CityFrederica P Perera
Columbia Center for Children s Environmental Health, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, 60 Haven Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:197-204. 2002..In turn, communities become better equipped to relay environmental health concerns to policy makers. In this paper we describe the center's research and its academic-community partnership and present some preliminary findings...
- Feasibility and impact of a school-based intervention for families of urban adolescents with asthma: results from a randomized pilot trialJean Marie Bruzzese
NYU Child Study Center, New York University School of Medicine, 215 Lexington Ave, 13th Floor, New York, NY 10016, USA
Fam Process 47:95-113. 2008..The intervention resulted in positive short-term changes in family relations, asthma management by students, and health status...
- Developing mathematical proficiency in the Australian context: implications for students with learning difficultiesDavid Evans
Faculty of Education and Social Work, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Learn Disabil 40:420-6. 2007..The research literature is also examined to propose ways in which these fragilities can be addressed...
- Replication of genome-wide association signals in UK samples reveals risk loci for type 2 diabetesEleftheria Zeggini
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, OX3 7LJ, UK
Science 316:1336-41. 2007..The regions identified underscore the importance of pathways influencing pancreatic beta cell development and function in the etiology of type 2 diabetes...
- Contracting and healthDavid Evans
Bull World Health Organ 84:850-1. 2006
- Use of contracting in public healthDavid Evans
Bull World Health Organ 84:842. 2006
- A review of physical restraint minimization in the acute and residential care settingsDavid Evans
Department of Clinical Nursing, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Adv Nurs 40:616-25. 2002..The first aim was to determine the effectiveness of attempts to minimize the use of physical restraint, and the second was to generate a description of the characteristics of restraint minimization programmes...
- Using school staff to establish a preventive network of care to improve elementary school students' control of asthmaJean Marie Bruzzese
New York University Child Study Center, 215 Lexington Avenue, 13th Floor, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Sch Health 76:307-12. 2006..We present these challenges, describe how we coped with them, and discuss the lessons we learned...
- Oral beta2-agonist use by preschool children with asthma in East and Central Harlem, New YorkSebastian Bonner
Center for Urban Epidemiologic Studies, The New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 5293
J Asthma 43:31-5. 2006..Use of oral ss(2)-agonist was associated with more severe symptoms. This study documents the continued widespread use of oral ss(2)-agonist for treatment of children in a low-income community with high prevalence of asthma...
- Integration of salvage research into existing networks and structuresDavid Evans
Res Initiat Treat Action 10:22-3. 2004
- Hypertension in a primary care settingDavid Evans
Fam Pract 20:733. 2003
- 'Taking public health out of the ghetto': the policy and practice of multi-disciplinary public health in the United KingdomDavid Evans
Bristol North Primary Care Trust, King Square House, King Square, BS2 8EE Bristol, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:959-67. 2003..The concept of manipulated emergence helps explain why, having expressed a commitment towards multi-disciplinary public health, the government has not supported its policy more fully...