Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Aberdeen
- Disruption of the striated muscle glycogen targeting subunit PPP1R3A of protein phosphatase 1 leads to increased weight gain, fat deposition, and development of insulin resistanceMirela Delibegovic
Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
Diabetes 52:596-604. 2003..Our results suggest that dysfunction of PP1-G(M) may contribute to the pathophysiology of human type 2 diabetes...
- Serum levels of RBP4 and adipose tissue levels of PTP1B are increased in obese men resident in northeast Scotland without associated changes in ER stress response genesNigel Hoggard
Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Int J Gen Med 5:403-11. 2012..In this study we investigated if serum and/or adipose tissue RBP4 protein levels and expression levels of PTP1B and other ER stress-response genes are altered in obese and obese/diabetic men resident in northeast Scotland...
- Improved glucose homeostasis in mice with muscle-specific deletion of protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1BMirela Delibegovic
Cancer Biology Program, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Cell Biol 27:7727-34. 2007..Therefore, combining PTP1B inhibition with thiazolidinediones should be more effective than either alone for treating insulin-resistant states...
- Liver-specific deletion of protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B) improves metabolic syndrome and attenuates diet-induced endoplasmic reticulum stressMirela Delibegovic
Cancer Biology Program, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 58:590-9. 2009..Here we studied the role of liver PTP1B in glucose homeostasis and lipid metabolism...
- Liver-specific deletion of protein tyrosine phosphatase (PTP) 1B improves obesity- and pharmacologically induced endoplasmic reticulum stressAbdelali Agouni
Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, UK
Biochem J 438:369-78. 2011....
- Myeloid-cell protein tyrosine phosphatase-1B deficiency in mice protects against high-fat diet and lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation, hyperinsulinemia, and endotoxemia through an IL-10 STAT3-dependent mechanismLouise Grant
Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, Foresterhill Health Campus, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Diabetes 63:456-70. 2014..Our studies implicate myeloid PTP1B in negative regulation of STAT3/IL-10-mediated signaling, highlighting its inhibition as a potential anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic target in obesity. ..
- Fenretinide treatment prevents diet-induced obesity in association with major alterations in retinoid homeostatic gene expression in adipose, liver, and hypothalamusGeorge D McIlroy
University of Aberdeen, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Diabetes 62:825-36. 2013..We show that FEN-mediated beneficial effects are through alterations in retinoid homeostasis genes, and these are strong candidates as therapeutic targets for the treatment of obesity and insulin resistance...
- In vivo differential effects of fasting, re-feeding, insulin and insulin stimulation time course on insulin signaling pathway components in peripheral tissuesAbdelali Agouni
IBES, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, Integrative Physiology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB242TZ, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 401:104-11. 2010....
- Adipocyte-specific protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B deletion increases lipogenesis, adipocyte cell size and is a minor regulator of glucose homeostasisCarl Owen
Integrative Physiology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e32700. 2012..Moreover, PTP1B does not appear to be the major negative regulator of the IR in adipocytes...
- Neuronal protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B deficiency results in inhibition of hypothalamic AMPK and isoform-specific activation of AMPK in peripheral tissuesBingzhong Xue
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Mol Cell Biol 29:4563-73. 2009..Therefore, the mechanism by which PTP1B regulates adiposity and leptin sensitivity likely involves the coordinated regulation of AMPK in hypothalamus and peripheral tissues...
- Neuronal PTP1B regulates body weight, adiposity and leptin actionKendra K Bence
Cancer Biology Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, NRB 1030, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Med 12:917-24. 2006..Thus, PTP1B regulates body mass and adiposity primarily through actions in the brain. Furthermore, neuronal PTP1B regulates adipocyte leptin production and probably is essential for the development of leptin resistance...
- Fenretinide prevents obesity in aged female mice in association with increased retinoid and estrogen signalingKirsty D Shearer
Institute of Medical Sciences, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill Health Campus, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Obesity (Silver Spring) 23:1655-62. 2015..We, therefore, investigated whether FEN also influences adiposity in aged female mice differing in parity and whether such effects are mediated by retinoid and estrogen signaling...
- Effects of hepatic protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B and methionine restriction on hepatic and whole-body glucose and lipid metabolism in miceEmma Katherine Lees
Institute of Medical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK Electronic address
Metabolism 64:305-14. 2015..We hypothesized that a combined approach of hepatic PTP1B inhibition and methionine restriction could lead to a synergistic effect on improvements in glucose homeostasis and lipid metabolism...
- Fenretinide mediated retinoic acid receptor signalling and inhibition of ceramide biosynthesis regulates adipogenesis, lipid accumulation, mitochondrial function and nutrient stress signalling in adipocytes and adipose tissueGeorge D McIlroy
Institute of Medical Sciences, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK Electronic address
Biochem Pharmacol 100:86-97. 2016..Overall our data reveals FEN utilises both RAR-dependent and -independent pathways to regulate adipocyte biology, both of which may be required for FEN to prevent obesity and insulin resistance in vivo. ..
- Methionine restriction restores a younger metabolic phenotype in adult mice with alterations in fibroblast growth factor 21Emma K Lees
Institute of Medical Sciences, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD, UK
Aging Cell 13:817-27. 2014..These findings implicate MR dietary intervention as a viable therapy for age-induced metabolic syndrome in adult humans...
- A key role for PTP1B in dendritic cell maturation, migration, and T cell activationCristina Martin-Granados
Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1PD, UK
J Mol Cell Biol 7:517-28. 2015..These data provide first evidence for a key regulatory role for PTP1B in mediating a central DC function of initiating adaptive immune responses in response to innate immune cell activation. ..
- Assay of protein phosphatase 1 complexesPatricia T Cohen
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, MSI WTB complex, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Methods Enzymol 366:135-44. 2003