Affiliation: University of Plymouth
- Generic qualitative research: a design for qualitative research in emergency care?S Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C501 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA, UK
Emerg Med J 24:816-9. 2007..This paper explores qualitative approaches and then focuses on "best practice" for generic qualitative research...
- Collaborative practices in unscheduled emergency care: role and impact of the emergency care practitioner--quantitative findingsSimon Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C503 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 8AA, UK
Emerg Med J 24:630-3. 2007..To identify collaborative instances and hindrances and to produce a model of collaborative practice...
- The emerging role of the emergency care practitionerS Cooper
Westcountry Ambulance Service NHS Trust, UK
Emerg Med J 21:614-8. 2004..Key activities were identified of newly appointed ECPs using qualitative methodology and a qualitative and quantitative comparison of patient treatment was made...
- Contemporary UK paramedical training and education. How do we train? How should we educate?S Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C403, Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA, UK
Emerg Med J 22:375-9. 2005..To develop an understanding of the current system and future development of training and education within a large UK ambulance trust, based upon the experiences, beliefs, and opinions of stakeholders...
- A decade of in-hospital resuscitation: outcomes and prediction of survival?Simon Cooper
Advanced Healthcare Practice, C403 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA, UK
Resuscitation 68:231-7. 2006..To provide survival rates and associated factors from a 10-year study of in-hospital cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)...
- Collaborative practices in unscheduled emergency care: role and impact of the emergency care practitioner--qualitative and summative findingsSimon Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C501 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA, UK
Emerg Med J 24:625-9. 2007..To identify collaborative instances and hindrances and to produce a model of collaborative practice...
- Immediate life support (ILS) training Impact in a primary care setting?Simon Cooper
C501, Portland Square, Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK
Resuscitation 72:92-9. 2007..To evaluate immediate life support (ILS) training in a primary care setting...
- Reliability testing and update of the Resuscitation Predictor Scoring (RPS) ScaleSimon Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C501 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon PL4 8AA, United Kingdom
Resuscitation 74:253-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to test the reliability of the Resuscitation Predictor Scoring (RPS) Scale1 (Appendix A), a survival prediction nomogram designed to aid resuscitation termination decisions during a resuscitation attempt...
- Patient handover: time for a change?Annie Jenkin
Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth, Portland Square Building, Plymouth PL4 8AA, United Kingdom
Accid Emerg Nurs 15:141-7. 2007..Handover has major implications for subsequent patient care but there has been little investigation of the handover process between ambulance and emergency department staff...
- Emergency care practitioners (ECP): practice and performance in the UK West country--a case studySimon Cooper
Faculty of Health and Social Work, C501 Portland Square, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom
Int Emerg Nurs 16:180-4. 2008
- Use of educational games in the health professions: a mixed-methods study of educators' perspectives in the UKGillian Blakely
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, UK
Nurs Health Sci 12:27-32. 2010..Similar constraints might restrict the use of active learning strategies, such as simulation, that are crucial for enabling health professionals to develop competence. These issues require consideration when planning educational methods...
- Change on the horizon: issues and concerns of neophyte advanced healthcare practitionersGraham R Williamson
Adult Nursing, Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth, Devon, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:1091-8. 2006..The objectives were to gain an understanding of their issues and concerns as they looked ahead to their future development and to illuminate issues concerning their experiences as students and as employees...
- Final-year nursing students' ability to assess, detect and act on clinical cues of deterioration in a simulated environmentRuth Endacott
Nursing School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Plymouth, Melbourne, Australia
J Adv Nurs 66:2722-31. 2010..This is a report of a study investigating processes used by final-year nursing students to recognize and act on clinical cues of deterioration in a simulated environment...
- Improving emergency care pathways: an action research approachRuth Endacott
Faculty of Health, University of Plymouth, 8 Portland Villas, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK
Emerg Med J 28:203-7. 2011..This study outlines the processes and outcomes of an action research study conducted to reduce inappropriate attendances and unplanned pressures on Emergency Department (ED) staff in an English hospital during 2006-2008...
- Educational gaming in the health sciences: systematic reviewGillian Blakely
University of Plymouth, UK
J Adv Nurs 65:259-69. 2009..This paper is a report of a review to investigate the use of games to support classroom learning in the health sciences...
- The "4-hour target": emergency nurses' viewsAndy Mortimore
Emergency Department, Torbay Hospital, Lawes Bridge, Torquay, Devon, TQ2 7AA, UK
Emerg Med J 24:402-4. 2007..To explore nurses' views and to identify the perceived advantages and disadvantages of the "4-hour target."..
- Modelling emergency decisions: recognition-primed decision making. The literature in relation to an ophthalmic critical incidentSusan Bond
Theatre Department, Royal Eye Infirmary, Apsley Road, Plymouth, Devon, UK
J Clin Nurs 15:1023-32. 2006....
- Clinical decision-making: midwifery students' recognition of, and response to, post partum haemorrhage in the simulation environmentJulie Scholes
Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Research, University of Brighton, Mayfield House, Village Way, Brighton, UK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12:19. 2012..Although this figure is far higher in developing countries, the risk to maternal wellbeing and child health problem means that all midwives need to remain vigilant and respond appropriately to early signs of maternal deterioration...
- Leadership of resuscitation teams: "Lighthouse Leadership'S Cooper
Resuscitation Training, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Resuscitation 42:27-45. 1999..CONCLUSION: Leaders must build a structure within a resuscitation team in order for them to perform effectively. An emergency leadership training programme is essential to enhance the performance of leaders and their teams...
- Impact of preoperative screening for meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by real-time polymerase chain reaction in patients undergoing cardiac surgeryS Jog
Department of Microbiology and Infection Prevention and Control, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Hosp Infect 69:124-30. 2008..77; 95% confidence interval: 0.056-0.95). PCR screening combined with suppression of MRSA at the time of cardiac surgery is feasible in routine clinical practice and is associated with a significant reduction in subsequent MRSA SSIs...
- Resuscitation Predictor Scoring Scale for inhospital cardiac arrestsS Cooper
Resuscitation Training, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Emerg Med J 20:6-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine the key factors influencing survival from cardiopulmonary resuscitation attempts and to produce a survival predictor scale for use during a resuscitation attempt...
- The reality of clinical learning in critical care settings: a practitioner:student gap?Ruth Endacott
Clinical Nursing, La Trobe University, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Nurs 12:778-85. 2003..The authors discuss the impact this has on supernumerary status, perceptions of learning and opportunities to undertake placements...
- The PUC-CAM-Q: a new questionnaire for delving into the use of complementary and alternative medicinesAnske Robinson
Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Communications and Social Sciences, School of Rural Health, Monash University, Victoria Australia
J Altern Complement Med 13:207-16. 2007..This paper reports on the design and testing of a new questionnaire, "Perspectives on the Use in Communities of CAM" (the PUC-CAM-Q [questionnaire])...