J K Cleal
Affiliation: University of Southampton
- The mechanisms and regulation of placental amino acid transport to the human foetusJ K Cleal
The Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 20:419-26. 2008..Understanding the mechanisms and regulation of amino acid transport is necessary to understand the causes of intrauterine growth restriction in human pregnancy...
- Facilitated transporters mediate net efflux of amino acids to the fetus across the basal membrane of the placental syncytiotrophoblastJ K Cleal
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Mail point 887, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
J Physiol 589:987-97. 2011..Consistent with a role in placental amino acid transfer capacity and fetal growth TAT1 and LAT3 mRNA expression showed positive associations with infant size at birth...
- Relationship between placental expression of the imprinted PHLDA2 gene, intrauterine skeletal growth and childhood bone massR M Lewis
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton and Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Bone 50:337-42. 2012..The results suggest that placental PHLDA2 may provide a biomarker for suboptimal skeletal growth in pregnancies uncomplicated by overt fetal growth restriction...
- Relation of FTO gene variants to fetal growth trajectories: Findings from the Southampton Women's surveyS J Barton
MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK Electronic address
Placenta 38:100-6. 2016..Here we investigated how FTO and MC4R gene variants linked with obesity relate to patterns of fetal growth and to placental FTO expression...
- Placental amino acid transport may be regulated by maternal vitamin D and vitamin D-binding protein: results from the Southampton Women's SurveyJ K Cleal
Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Tremona Road, SouthamptonSO16 6YD, UK
Br J Nutr 113:1903-10. 2015..This exploratory study identifies placental amino acid transporters which may be altered in response to modifiable maternal factors and provides a basis for further studies. ..
- What factors determine placental glucose transfer kinetics?P E Day
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Faculty of Medicine, Southampton SO16 6YD, United Kingdom
Placenta 34:953-8. 2013..This study investigates the relationship between maternal and fetal glucose concentrations and transfer across the placenta...
- Review: Placenta, evolution and lifelong healthR M Lewis
University of Southampton, Faculty of Medicine, Southampton, UK
Placenta 33:S28-32. 2012....
- Maternal muscle mass may influence system A activity in human placentaR M Lewis
Institute of Developmental Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, UK
Placenta 31:418-22. 2010..This alteration may affect fetal development, altering fetal body composition, with long-term consequences...
- Noninvasive fetal electrocardiography following intermittent umbilical cord occlusion in the preterm ovine fetusJ K Cleal
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, UK
BJOG 117:438-44. 2010..To investigate whether a noninvasive fetal electrocardiography (fECG) system can identify cardiovascular responses to fetal hypoxaemia and validate the results using standard invasive fECG monitoring techniques...