A R Butler
Affiliation: University of St Andrews
- Nineteenth century exercise clinics for the treatment of scoliosisS Elsaesser
AR Butler, Purdie Building, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9ST, UK Email
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 44:240-6. 2014..Whether it is effective remains debatable, but even if progression is not prevented the patient's general health will benefit from an exercise regimen. ..
- The 1918-19 influenza pandemic revisitedN Jivraj
AR Butler Medical School University of St Andrews KY16 9TS, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 43:347-52. 2013..Such a response is possible only with appropriate funding and a comprehensive medical infrastructure, making the potential outbreak of severe influenza in a poor part of the world a matter of grave concern. ..
- The role of scurvy in Scott's return from the South PoleA R Butler
Medical School, University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 43:175-81. 2013..Because of this, any advice given to Scott during his preparations would probably not have helped him minimise the effect of scurvy on the members of his party...
- Old herbal remedies and modern combination therapyA Butler
Bute Medical School, University of St Andrews, St Andrews KY16 9TF, Scotland, UK
Scott Med J 56:170-3. 2011..It is suggested that, in the development of these therapies, it might be possible to learn from the drug 'cocktails' found in plants...
- A brief history of malaria chemotherapyA R Butler
Bute Medical School, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 40:172-7. 2010..The use of a combination therapy including artemisinin has made it possible to contemplate the eradication of malaria. Efforts to produce a stable and inexpensive supply of artemisinin are under way...
- Exploring Scotland's influenza pandemic of 1918-19: lest we forgetA R Butler
Bute Medical School, St Andrews, Scotland, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 37:362-6. 2007..Such information could now be valuable as we plan a response to a pandemic of avian flu. This article aims to initiate study of an important episode in healthcare in Scotland...
- Therapeutic uses of inorganic nitrite and nitrate: from the past to the futureAnthony R Butler
Bute Medical School, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9ST, Scotland
Circulation 117:2151-9. 2008....
- 'The heart less bounding': treating angina pectorisA R Butler
Bute Medical School, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 36:185-9. 2006..Recently, however, interest in its therapeutic use has been revived. The medical uses of saltpetre (potassium nitrate) may be due to the presence of nitrite as an impurity...
- Application of chemically induced dynamic nuclear polarization to the nitration of N-acetyltyrosine and to some reactions of peroxynitriteA R Butler
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, University of St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9ST, Scotland
Nitric Oxide 4:472-82. 2000..It is suggested that tyrosine catalyzes the production of NO(*)(2) and HO(*) from peroxynitrite...
- Diffusion of nitric oxide and scavenging by blood in the vasculatureA R Butler
School of Chemistry, University of St Andrews, Fife, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1425:168-76. 1998..The view that locally produced NO is not responsible for vascular dilation has not been sustained...
- Novel S-nitrosothiols do not engender vascular tolerance and remain effective in glyceryl trinitrate-tolerant rat femoral arteriesM R Miller
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, EH4 2LH, Scotland, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 403:111-9. 2000..Resistance to tolerance is an attractive property of our novel compounds, particularly in view of their sustained activity in arteries with damaged endothelium...
- Novel S-nitrosothiols do not engender vascular tolerance and remain effective in glyceryltrinitrate-tolerant rat femoral arteriesM R Miller
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Edinburgh, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Western General Hospital, EH4 2LH, Scotland, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 408:335-43. 2000..Resistance to tolerance is an attractive property of our novel compounds, particularly in view of their sustained activity in arteries with damaged endothelium...
- Chemical synthesis and microvascular effects of new nitric oxide donors in humansFaisel Khan
Vascular Diseases Research Unit, University Department of Medicine, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 105:577-84. 2003..Since such compounds release NO in a non-enzymic manner following topical application, they might produce an attractive therapeutic source of localized NO delivery without inducing systemic side effects...