Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Cognitive rehabilitation for spatial neglect following strokeA Bowen
University of Manchester, HCD, School of Psychological Sciences, Humanities Devas Street, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK, M13 9PL
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2007..Unilateral spatial neglect causes difficulty attending to one side of space. Various rehabilitation strategies have been used but evidence of their benefit is lacking...
- Cognitive rehabilitation for spatial neglect following strokeAudrey Bowen
Stroke and Vascular Research Centre, Clinical Sciences Building, University of Manchester, Salford, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2013..Unilateral spatial neglect causes difficulty attending to one side of space. Various rehabilitation interventions have been used but evidence of their benefit is lacking...
- Effectiveness of enhanced communication therapy in the first four months after stroke for aphasia and dysarthria: a randomised controlled trialAudrey Bowen
HCD, Ellen Wilkinson Building, University of Manchester MAHSC, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
BMJ 345:e4407. 2012..To assess the effectiveness of enhanced communication therapy in the first four months after stroke compared with an attention control (unstructured social contact)...
- Clinical effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and service users' perceptions of early, well-resourced communication therapy following a stroke: a randomised controlled trial (the ACT NoW Study)A Bowen
University of Manchester MAHSC Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK
Health Technol Assess 16:1-160. 2012..To determine the clinical effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and service users' views of enhanced early communication therapy by speech and language (SL) therapists compared with attention control (AC)...
- Psychological services for people with stroke: compliance with the U.K. National Clinical GuidelinesAudrey Bowen
Humanities, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL, UK
Clin Rehabil 19:323-30. 2005..The UK National Clinical Guidelines for Stroke (2000) include recommendations on psychological services. The third National Sentinel Audit of Stroke was completed in 2001-2002...
- Trial participants' experiences of early enhanced speech and language therapy after stroke compared with employed visitor support: a qualitative study nested within a randomized controlled trialAlys Young
School of Nursing Midwifery and Social Work, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, UK
Clin Rehabil 27:174-82. 2013..To explore trial participants' experiences of the process and outcomes of early, enhanced speech and language therapy after stroke with support from an employed visitor...
- Developing functional outcome measures for unilateral neglect: a pilot studyAudrey Bowen
Human Communication and Deafness, Faculty of Education, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Neuropsychol Rehabil 15:97-113. 2005..However, the validity of Face and Tray themselves is currently inadequate. A longitudinal study is proposed to modify the measures, increase their sensitivity and evaluate their ability to monitor change over time...
- PRECiS (Patient Reported Evaluation of Cognitive State): psychometric evaluation of a new patient reported outcome measure of the impact of strokeEmma Patchick
Stroke Research, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester MAHSC, Manchester UK
Clin Rehabil 30:1229-1241. 2016....
- Spatial neglect: is rehabilitation effective?Audrey Bowen
Human Communication and Deafness Group, University of Manchester, UK
Stroke 33:2728-9. 2002
- Memory impairment following right hemisphere stroke: a comparative meta-analytic and narrative reviewDavid C Gillespie
University of Manchester, Human Communication and Deafness Group, Manchester, UK
Clin Neuropsychol 20:59-75. 2006..The relative strengths of both types of review are discussed...
- Non-pharmacological interventions for perceptual disorders following stroke and other adult-acquired, non-progressive brain injuryAudrey Bowen
HCD, School of Psychological Sciences, Ellen Wilkinson Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK, M13 9PL
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD007039. 2011..Stroke and other adult-acquired brain injury may impair perception leading to distress and increased dependence on others. Perceptual rehabilitation includes functional training, sensory stimulation, strategy training and task repetition...
- Development of a patient-centred, patient-reported outcome measure (PROM) for post-stroke cognitive rehabilitation: qualitative interviews with stroke survivors to inform design and contentEmma L Patchick
School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, UK
Health Expect 18:3213-24. 2015..Patient perspectives on outcomes are collected using patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs). There is currently no patient-centred PROM specific for cognitive rehabilitation trials...
- Awareness of dysphagia by patients following stroke predicts swallowing performanceClaire Parker
Speech and Language Therapy Department, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester, UK
Dysphagia 19:28-35. 2004..These findings may have implications for longer-term outcome, patient compliance, and treatment of dysphagia after stroke...
- Apraxia of speech: how reliable are speech and language therapists' diagnoses?Katharyn Mumby
Central Cheshire PCT
Clin Rehabil 21:760-7. 2007....