Affiliation: University of Southampton
- Doctors working in prisonsLuke Birmingham
BMJ 324:440. 2002
- Providing treatment to prisoners with mental disorders: development of a policy. Selective literature review and expert consultation exerciseMark Earthrowl
University of Southampton, Knowle, UK
Br J Psychiatry 182:299-302. 2003..Prisoners who require transfer to psychiatric hospitals for treatment face long delays. Doctors working in prisons regularly face ethical and legal dilemmas posed by prisoners with mental illness...
- Prison medicine: ethics and equivalenceLuke Birmingham
Senior Lecturer in Forensic Psychiatry, University of Southampton, Ravenswood House, Knowle, Fareham, Hampshire PO17 5NA, UK
Br J Psychiatry 188:4-6. 2006..Perhaps the best a doctor working in prison can do is realise that there are ethical dilemmas everywhere, try to recognise them and feel the tension...
- Detaining dangerous people with mental disordersLuke Birmingham
BMJ 325:2-3. 2002
- Prison mental health inreach servicesJulie Steel
Br J Psychiatry 190:373-4. 2007..This paper summarises the policy content and what has been achieved thus far, and poses challenges that these teams face if they are to become a clear and effective component in the overall system of forensic mental healthcare...