Robert C Baldwin
Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Prognosis of late life depression: a three-year cohort study of outcome and potential predictorsRobert C Baldwin
Old Age Psychiatry, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:57-63. 2006..Late-onset depression (LOD) has a poor prognosis which may be worsened by the presence of cerebrovascular disease. Few studies have explored prospectively the influence of vascular risk factors on longer term prognosis...
- Recent understandings in geriatric affective disorderRobert C Baldwin
Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Edale House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Curr Opin Psychiatry 20:539-43. 2007..This article focuses on recent research into depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety in older people...
- Predictors of 1-year mortality in patients discharged from hospital following acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAbebaw M Yohannes
Metropolitan University of Manchester, Manchester School of Physiotherapy, Manchester, UK
Age Ageing 34:491-6. 2005..acute exacerbation of COPD (AECOPD) is a major cause of hospital admission, and predicts subsequent medium-term mortality. We aimed to examine mortality predictors in patients discharged from hospital after AECOPD...
- Abnormalities of CSF flow patterns in the cerebral aqueduct in treatment-resistant late-life depression: a potential biomarker of microvascular angiopathyJosephine H Naish
Imaging Science and Biomedical Engineering, University of Manchester, and Education and Research Center, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
Magn Reson Med 56:509-16. 2006..The findings support the hypothesis that MR measurement of CSF flow abnormalities provides a biomarker of MVA, and thus could have application in a wide range of age-related diseases...
- Treatment of psychiatric syndromes due to cerebrovascular diseaseRaghu Paranthaman
Edale House, Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Int Rev Psychiatry 18:453-70. 2006..Future studies might include multi-modal interventions using the principles of active case management and pharmacological studies which target both specific neuropsychiatric symptoms and underlying cerebrovascular disorder...
- Preventing late-life depression: a clinical updateRobert C Baldwin
University of Manchester and Manchester Mental Health Trust, Edale House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Rd, Manchester M13 9BX, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 22:1216-24. 2010..Achieving remission in late-life depressive disorder is difficult; it is far better to prevent depression. In the last ten years there have been a number of clinical studies of the feasibility of prevention...
- Is vascular depression a distinct sub-type of depressive disorder? A review of causal evidenceRobert C Baldwin
Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:1-11. 2005..Vascular depression is an important conceptual and clinical concept...
- Guideline for the management of late-life depression in primary careRobert C Baldwin
Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:829-38. 2003..To develop a guideline for the primary care management of depression in later life based on best practice...
- Vascular basis of late-onset depressive disorderRobert C Baldwin
Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Br J Psychiatry 180:157-60. 2002..Growing evidence suggests that there may be a subtype of depression arising in later life that is characterised by a distinct clinical presentation and an association with cerebrovascular disease. This has been termed 'vascular depression'...
- Prevalence of sub-threshold depression in elderly patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAbebaw M Yohannes
Manchester School of Physiotherapy, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:412-6. 2003..We hypothesized that COPD patients with sub-threshold depression would have levels of disability and impaired quality of life approaching that for major depression and significantly greater than for non-depressed COPD patients...
- Research into depressive disorder in later life: who is doing what? A literature search from 1998-2001Robert C Baldwin
Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust, York House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 14:335-46. 2002..In order to help clarify what progress has been made, the author conducted a literature review of original research subsequent to three recent major reviews...
- Support in the community for people with dementia and their carersRobert C Baldwin
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 18:857. 2003