D A Alexander
Affiliation: The Robert Gordon University
- Combat-related disorders: a persistent chimeraD A Alexander
Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, Faculty of Health and Social Care, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
J R Army Med Corps 154:96-101. 2008..We must avoid becoming preoccupied with risk and psychopathology...
- First responders after disasters: a review of stress reactions, at-risk, vulnerability, and resilience factorsDavid A Alexander
Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, The Robert Gordon University, and the Royal Cornhill Hospital, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Prehosp Disaster Med 24:87-94. 2009..This review will explore these themes by highlighting important findings and areas of uncertainty...
- Ambulance personnel and critical incidents: impact of accident and emergency work on mental health and emotional well-beingD A Alexander
Department of Mental Health, Medical School, University of Aberdeen and Centre for Trauma Research, Royal Cornhill Hospital, Aberdeen, UK
Br J Psychiatry 178:76-81. 2001..The association between mental health and occupational factors among ambulance personnel has not been thoroughly investigated in the UK...
- Evaluating the effectiveness of a web-based intervention to promote mental wellbeing in women and partners following miscarriage, using a modified patient preference trial design: an external pilotS Klein
Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, Institute for Health and Welfare Research, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK
BJOG 119:762-7. 2012....
- Psychiatric sequelae and psychosocial adjustment following ocular trauma: a retrospective pilot studyD A Alexander
University of Aberdeen and Centre for Trauma Research, Royal Cornhill Hospital, Aberdeen, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 85:560-2. 2001..To identify the prevalence of psychiatric and adjustment problems after ocular trauma and those factors related to a poor outcome...
- C-reactive protein and interleukin 6 receptor in post-traumatic stress disorder: a pilot studyR J Miller
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, AB9 2ZD, UK
Cytokine 13:253-5. 2001..DISCUSSION: we have demonstrated a relationship between post-traumatic psychological and biological disturbance, which provides the basis for further research on the effects of psychological disturbance on physical recovery after injury...
- Nairobi terrorist bombing: the personal experience of a mental health adviserD A Alexander
Department of Mental Health, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, Royal Cornhill Hospital, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Int J Emerg Ment Health 3:249-57. 2001..The author describes the terrorist incident, how the Kenyans responded to it and his own role. He also highlights important learning points, dilemmas and challenges which an adviser might encounter...
- Disturbance of pro-inflammatory cytokines in post-traumatic psychopathologyA G Sutherland
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, AB9 2ZD, Scotland, Aberdeen, UK
Cytokine 24:219-25. 2003..PTP is associated with a disturbance of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, and may lead to impaired healing. We have investigated the relationship between PTP and pro-inflammatory markers of the metabolic response to trauma...
- Survivors of the Piper Alpha oil platform disaster: long-term follow-up studyAlastair M Hull
Aberdeen Centre for Trauma Research, Royal Cornhill Hospital, UK
Br J Psychiatry 181:433-8. 2002..The long-term psychological effects of surviving a major disaster are poorly understood. We undertook a survey of survivors of the Piper Alpha oil platform disaster (1988)...