- Heparin induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis: a two step process?Jecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Road, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Hematology 13:181-2. 2008..The article describes a two-step process, where a quantitative role for platelet factor 4 in activating monocytes at the tissue injury sites may play a role in the pathogenesis of heparin induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis...
- Should low molecular weight heparin dosing be based on anti-Xa assays in antiphospholipid syndrome?Jecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 24:82-4. 2013..It is however not entirely clear, whether the dose should be altered on the basis of anti-Xa results in asymptomatic individuals...
- Inappropriateness of fresh frozen plasma for abnormal coagulation testsS Pybus
School of Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J R Coll Physicians Edinb 42:294-300. 2012..The aim of the study was to assess compliance with current prophylactic FFP guidelines at a large tertiary centre...
- Clotting screen requests in pediatricsJecko Thachil
Department of Hematology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool, UK, L7 8XP
Indian J Pediatr 79:1233-5. 2012....
- Current concepts in the management of disseminated intravascular coagulationJecko Thachil
Roald Dahl Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Road, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Thromb Res 129:S54-9. 2012..Newer therapeutic modalities have been recently tried with success although the management of DIC still remains a major challenge...
- Recurrent venous thromboembolism while on anticoagulant therapyJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Roald Dahl Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L7 8XP, United Kingdom
Blood Rev 26:175-81. 2012..The clinical approach and management of these patients are complex, and require understanding of the differences in thrombus development in the different clinical circumstances...
- A mystery unravelsJecko V Thachil
Department of Haematology, Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Am J Med 120:669-70. 2007
- Nitric oxide and adverse events of vascular endothelial growth factor inhibitorsJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1503-7. 2011..With their increased use, adverse events, some common and certain rare but characteristic complications, are being recognized. The exact mechanisms for the development of at least some of these side effects are not entirely clear...
- The prothrombotic potential of platelet factor 4Jecko Thachil
University of Liverpool, UK
Eur J Intern Med 21:79-83. 2010..This article explains the important role of PF4 released during platelet activation with the administration of heparin in the pathogenesis of thrombocytopenia and thrombosis in HIT...
- Appropriate use of D-dimer in hospital patientsJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, University of Liverpool, UK
Am J Med 123:17-9. 2010..This article focuses on the available evidence to guide the appropriate use of D-dimer in patients admitted to a hospital...
- Lessons from acute pancreatitis-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpuraJecko Thachil
University of Liverpool, Prescot Road, Liverpool, UK
Eur J Intern Med 20:739-43. 2009..This review focuses on the association of these two conditions which have given insights into the role players and the pathogenic mechanisms leading to the development of either of these conditions...
- The enigma of pulmonary hypertension after splenectomy--does the megakaryocyte provide a clue?J Thachil
University of Liverpool, Prescot Road, Liverpool, L7 8XP, UK
QJM 102:743-5. 2009..The manuscript explains the role of the less recognized 'lung megakaryocytes' in the development of this complication...
- Nitric oxide and the clinical manifestations of acute porphyriaJ Thachil
Hematology Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Intern Med J 38:732-5. 2008..The article describes the possibility of nitric oxide depletion in porphyria contributing to its clinical manifestations...
- The lung megakaryocytes and pulmonary fibrosis in systemic sclerosisJecko Thachil
University of Liverpool, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, United Kingdom
Med Hypotheses 72:291-3. 2009..The article describes available evidence for the presence of lung megakaryocytes and hypothesizes that these cells are responsible for the development of pulmonary fibrosis in SSc based on the myelofibrosis model...
- Management of surgical patients receiving anticoagulation and antiplatelet agentsJ Thachil
Department of Haematology, University of Liverpool, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 95:1437-48. 2008..Continuation of these agents, however, is associated with an increased risk of bleeding. Managing anticoagulation can be a particular challenge in the emergency setting...
- Extreme thrombocytosis--an unusual presentation of inflammatory bowel diseaseJecko Thachil
Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Intern Med 47:1255-7. 2008..The report details a case of extreme thrombocytosis which masked an underlying diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease...
- The possible role of reticulocytes in sickle cell disease associated thromboembolismJecko Thachil
Haematology Department, Royal, Liverpool University Hospital, UK
Hematology 13:68-70. 2008..This article discusses the possible role of reticulocytes in promoting thrombus formation in individuals with SCD and suggests a similar pathogenetic mechanism in thromboembolism associated with other hemolytic states...
- Nitric oxide in immune thrombocytopenic purpuraJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, University of Liverpool, Prescot Road, Liverpool L78XP, UK
Hematology 14:59-62. 2009..At the same time, some of the treatment modalities for ITP may be exerting their beneficial effects by increasing the levels of NO and thus improving platelet production...
- Relevance of clotting tests in liver diseaseJ Thachil
University of Liverpool, Prescot Road, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Postgrad Med J 84:177-81. 2008..Most importantly, it stresses the need for more trials to help us guide the management of bleeding in patients with liver impairment...
- Granulocytic sarcoma - a rare presentation of a breast lumpJecko Thachil
Haematology Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89:W7-9. 2007..This report describes a woman who presented with a breast lump, which was initially misdiagnosed as lymphoma, but later turned out to be granulocytic sarcoma of the breast...
- Myelodysplastic syndrome with trisomy 8 associated with Behçet syndrome: an immunologic link to a karyotypic abnormalityJecko V Thachil
Department of Haematology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:649-51. 2008..We present a female with a similar association and explain the importance of identifying the coexisting conditions. The immunological abnormalities, which may be observed in MDS and their possible mechanisms, are also discussed...
- Dispelling myths about coagulation abnormalities in internal medicineJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Clin Med (Lond) 14:239-44. 2014..Some of these are discussed with considerations of appropriate management in those situations. ..
- The newer direct oral anticoagulants: a practical guideJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Manchester Royal Infirmary
Clin Med (Lond) 14:165-75. 2014..Being relatively newer drugs, physicians need to be familiar with the various practical issues that may be encountered with the prescription of these drugs, which are summarised in this review. ..
- Providing accurate information to patients who develop deep vein thrombosisJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
Clin Med (Lond) 13:449-51. 2013..Some of these issues are discussed in this paper, with considerations for changes in management. ..
- The clinical and functional relevance of microparticles induced by activated protein C treatment in sepsisMargarita Pérez-Casal
Roald Dahl Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Crit Care 15:R195. 2011..We hypothesised that APC on these circulating MPs activate endothelial protease-activated receptor 1 (PAR1) to induce anti-apoptotic and anti-inflammatory properties that can improve patient outcome...
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation in obstetric disorders and its acute haematological managementJecko Thachil
School of Clinical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Blood Rev 23:167-76. 2009..It also discusses the latest developments in our understanding of haemostatic mechanisms within the placenta and how these may have relevance to new diagnostic approaches as well as novel therapeutic modalities...
- Antiplatelet therapy - a summary for the general physiciansJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
Clin Med (Lond) 16:152-60. 2016..This review summarises the different agents available and some practical considerations for their use from a general physician's perspective. ..
- Human CRP defends against the toxicity of circulating histonesSimon T Abrams
Department of Blood Sciences, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals National Health Service Trust, Liverpool L7 8XP, United Kingdom
J Immunol 191:2495-502. 2013..Because histone elevation occurs in the acute phase of numerous critical illnesses associated with extensive cell death, CRP detoxification of circulating histones would be a generic host defense mechanism in humans. ..
- Prognostic implications of leg ulcers from hydroxycarbamide therapy in patients with essential thrombocythaemiaSebastian Francis
Department of Haematology, Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley, UK
Leuk Res 36:488-90. 2012....
- Phenotypic implications of a co-existent haemorrhagic and thrombotic genotypeJecko Thachil
Department of Haematology, Roald Dahl Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 23:232-4. 2012..Genetic mutations have been noted in persons with haemophilia to be contributing to a milder bleeding phenotype. This report describes the clinical implications of a similar mixed haemorrhagic-thrombotic genotype...
- Is this immune thrombocytopenic purpura?Jecko Thachil
Haematology Department, Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:76-81. 2008