Affiliation: St George's
- Asymptomatic trichomonas and candida colonization and pregnancy outcomePhillip Hay
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 21:403-9. 2007..This chapter reviews the impact of these common vaginal infections on pregnancy outcome and appraises the recent evidence on the role of treatment during pregnancy...
- HIV transmission and sexually transmitted infectionsPhillip Hay
Courtyard Clinic, St George s Hospital, University of London
Clin Med 8:323-6. 2008
- Recurrent bacterial vaginosisPhillip Hay
Centre for Infection, St George s Hospital, University of London, London, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:82-6. 2009..Bacterial vaginosis is a common condition that recurs frequently, adversely affecting women's lives, and is associated with complications including increased risk of sexually transmitted infections, HIV, and adverse pregnancy outcome...
- Timing of progression from Chlamydia trachomatis infection to pelvic inflammatory disease: a mathematical modelling studySereina A Herzog
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Bern, Bern CH 3012, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 12:187. 2012..This study investigates three hypothetical processes for the timing of progression: at the start, at the end, or throughout the duration of chlamydia infection...
- Natural history of bacterial vaginosis and intermediate flora in pregnancy and effect of oral clindamycinAustin Ugwumadu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Genitourinary Medicine, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 104:114-9. 2004..We sought to describe the natural history of abnormal vaginal flora in pregnancy and estimate the efficacy of oral clindamycin in eradicating it and preventing relapse...
- What is the cost of pelvic inflammatory disease and how much could be prevented by screening for chlamydia trachomatis? Cost analysis of the Prevention of Pelvic Infection (POPI) trialAdamma Aghaizu
Population Health Sciences and Education, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Sex Transm Infect 87:312-7. 2011....
- Oral clindamycin and histologic chorioamnionitis in women with abnormal vaginal floraAustin Ugwumadu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 107:863-8. 2006..We investigated whether clindamycin reduced the incidence of histologic chorioamnionitis as a mechanism for these beneficial effects...
- Is Mycoplasma genitalium in women the "New Chlamydia?" A community-based prospective cohort studyPippa Oakeshott
Division of Population Health Sciences and Education, St George s, University of London, UK
Clin Infect Dis 51:1160-6. 2010..We conducted a cohort study to determine the prevalence and predictors of M. genitalium infection in female students, to explore its role in pelvic inflammatory disease and to estimate its annual incidence and persistence rate...
- Enfurvitide prevents vertical transmission of multidrug-resistant HIV-1 in pregnancy but does not cross the placentaPaul Brennan-Benson
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, St George s Hospital, London, UK
AIDS 20:297-9. 2006..The measurement of maternal and foetal peripheral blood levels of enfurvitide showed no evidence of transplacental transfer...
- Interleukin-8 levels in seminal plasma in chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and nonspecific urethritisAbbas Khadra
Department of Clinical Development Sciences Genitourinary Medicine, St George s, University of London, London
BJU Int 97:1043-6. 2006....
- Randomised controlled trial of screening for Chlamydia trachomatis to prevent pelvic inflammatory disease: the POPI (prevention of pelvic infection) trialPippa Oakeshott
Division of Community Health Sciences, St George s, University of London SW17 0RE
BMJ 340:c1642. 2010..To determine whether screening and treating women for chlamydial infection reduces the incidence of pelvic inflammatory disease over the subsequent 12 months...
- Detecting and treating common sexually transmitted diseasesPhillip Hay
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, St George s University of London, London, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 23:647-60. 2009..It also addresses the current status, and new developments around the syndrome of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which essentially is an STI...
- Drug resistance is uncommon in pregnant women with low viral loads taking zidovudine monotherapy to prevent perinatal HIV transmissionNick Larbalestier
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Virology Section, Guys, Kings and St Thomas School of Medicine, London, UK
AIDS 17:2665-7. 2003....
- Lessons learned from recruiting young female students to a randomised controlled trial of chlamydia screeningStella Ivaz
Community Health Sciences, St George s, University of London, London SW17 0RE, UK
Fam Pract 23:188-91. 2006..We need to recruit 2500 sexually active female students and ask them to provide a self-taken low vaginal swab and complete a questionnaire with follow-up after a year...
- A randomized comparative 96-week trial of boosted atazanavir versus continued boosted protease inhibitor in HIV-1 patients with abdominal adiposityGraeme J Moyle
St Stephens Centre, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
Antivir Ther 17:689-700. 2012..Lipoatrophy is associated with long-term thymidine analogue therapy. Individual protease inhibitors (PIs) differ in their effects on lipids and insulin resistance...
- Current perspectives on the management and prevention of antiretroviral-associated lipoatrophyDavid Richard Phillips
Courtyard Clinic, St George s Hospital NHS Trust, Blackshaw Road, Tooting, London SW17 0QT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:866-71. 2008..In this article, we review the evidence underlying the current perspectives on the development of LA and the strategies employed to manage or avoid it...
- Best practice in primary carePippa Oakeshott
St George s Hospital, University of London, London SW17 ORE
BMJ 333:173-4. 2006
- Should HIV patients be considered a high risk group for the development of prostate cancer?Nadine Quatan
Department of Urology, St George s Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 87:437-8. 2005..Only very few case reports exist regarding the incidence of prostate cancer in younger HIV-infected patients...
- Effect of early oral clindamycin on late miscarriage and preterm delivery in asymptomatic women with abnormal vaginal flora and bacterial vaginosis: a randomised controlled trialAustin Ugwumadu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, SW17 0QT, London, UK
Lancet 361:983-8. 2003..We aimed to establish whether antibiotic treatment early in the second trimester might reduce these risks in a general obstetric population...
- Prevalence of Mycoplasma genitalium in early pregnancy and relationship between its presence and pregnancy outcomePippa Oakeshott
Community Health Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, London SW17 ORE, UK
BJOG 111:1464-7. 2004..The low prevalence of M. genitalium infection suggests it is unlikely to be an important risk factor in adverse pregnancy outcome in healthy women in the community...
- Association between bacterial vaginosis or chlamydial infection and miscarriage before 16 weeks' gestation: prospective community based cohort studyPippa Oakeshott
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, St George s Hospital Medical School, London SW17 0RE
BMJ 325:1334. 2002..To assess whether bacterial vaginosis or chlamydial infection before 10 weeks' gestation is associated with miscarriage before 16 weeks...
- HLA-B*5701 screening for hypersensitivity to abacavirSimon Mallal
Royal Perth Hospital and Murdoch University, Perth, Australia
N Engl J Med 358:568-79. 2008..This study was designed to establish the effectiveness of prospective HLA-B*5701 screening to prevent the hypersensitivity reaction to abacavir...
- Performance of the automated Abbott RealTime HIV-1 assay on a genetically diverse panel of specimens from London: comparison to VERSANT HIV-1 RNA 3.0, AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR v1.5, and LCx HIV RNA Quantitative assaysPriscilla Swanson
Abbott Laboratories, AIDS Research and Retrovirus Discovery, D 09NG, Bldg AP20, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6015, USA
J Virol Methods 137:184-92. 2006..The automated m2000 system and RealTime HIV-1 assay can increase laboratory throughput, enhance overall efficiency and reduce operator-associated errors while providing reliable quantitation of genetically diverse strains of HIV-1...
- Detection of Chlamydia trachomatis infection in early pregnancy using self-administered vaginal swabs and first pass urines: a cross-sectional community-based surveyPippa Oakeshott
Department of General Practice, St George s Hospital Medical School, London
Br J Gen Pract 52:830-2. 2002..This is the first study to show that non-invasive screening in early pregnancy is feasible in the community. Although swabs detected 10% more infections, nearly half the women preferred providing urine specimens...