Affiliation: Sheffield Children's Hospital
- Acquisition of competence in paediatric ileocolonoscopy with virtual endoscopy trainingMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Endoscopy Training, Sheffield Children s NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:699-701. 2006..0001) in the group with prior exposure to virtual endoscopy...
- Omeprazole for gastroesophageal reflux disease in the first 2 years of life: a dose-finding study with dual-channel pH monitoringJonathan Bishop
Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:50-5. 2007..The aim of the present study was to prospectively determine the dosage of omeprazole required to treat symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux in children younger than 2 years...
- Endoluminal gastroplication in children with significant gastro-oesophageal reflux diseaseM Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH, UK
Gut 53:1745-50. 2004....
- Endoscopic management of acute gastrointestinal bleeding in children: Time for a radical rethinkMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastreonterology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, UK Electronic address
J Pediatr Surg 51:206-10. 2016..It is an urgent problem and is one of the last emergencies in pediatrics that is conducted poorly. This cannot and should not be allowed to continue unchallenged. ..
- Constipation in childrenNadeem A Afzal
Paediatric Department, Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Rd, Southampton, Hants, SO16 6YD, England
Ital J Pediatr 37:28. 2011....
- Graded compression and power Doppler ultrasonography versus endoscopy to assess paediatric Crohn disease activity pre- and posttreatmentMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 54:404-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to assess whether power Doppler ultrasound (PDU) can serve as a reliable replacement for endoscopy in follow-up assessment of disease activity in children with Crohn disease...
- Medium-term outcome of endoluminal gastroplication with the EndoCinch device in childrenMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 46:172-7. 2008..The aim of this study is to evaluate the medium-term outcomes after EG in a pediatric patient population...
- Double balloon enteroscopy in children: diagnosis, treatment, and safetyMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, S10 2TH, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 16:56-62. 2010..To assess the feasibility and utility of double balloon enteroscopy (DBE) in the management of small bowel diseases in children...
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy and gastro-oesophageal reflux in neurologically impaired childrenMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Pond Street, London NW32QG, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 17:191-6. 2011..To investigate the effects of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) feeding on gastro-oesophageal reflux (GOR) in a group of these children using combined intraluminal pH and multiple intraluminal impedance (pH/MII)...
- Polyethylene glycol 3350 plus electrolytes for chronic constipation in children: a double blind, placebo controlled, crossover studyM A Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
Arch Dis Child 92:996-1000. 2007..To assess the efficacy and safety of polyethylene glycol 3350 plus electrolytes (PEG+E) for the treatment of chronic constipation in children...
- Confocal endomicroscopy in ulcerative colitis: differentiating dysplasia-associated lesional mass and adenoma-like massDavid P Hurlstone
Gastroenterology and Liver Unit, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1235-41. 2007..The aim of this study was to prospectively assess the clinical applicability and predictive power of the Pentax EC3870K endomicroscope for the in vivo differentiation of ALM and DALM in CUC during ongoing videocolonoscopy...
- Role of confocal endomicroscopy in the diagnosis of celiac diseaseKrishnappa Venkatesh
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:274-9. 2010..The aims of the present study were to define confocal features of celiac disease (CD) and to evaluate the usefulness of the CLE in the diagnosis of CD in children in comparison to histology...
- A new method in the diagnosis of reflux esophagitis: confocal laser endomicroscopyKrishnappa Venkatesh
Centre for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, UK
Gastrointest Endosc 75:864-9. 2012..In the esophagus, the distance between the surface to papillary (S-P) tip can be measured by using CLE...
- Idiopathic small bowel diaphragm disease identified by laparoscopic-assisted double-balloon enteroscopy in a child: an integrated successful definitive therapeutic methodGiampiero Soccorso
Paediatric Surgical Unit, Sheffield Children s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Pediatr Surg 47:1622-5. 2012..This report describes an integrated successful definitive therapeutic method of double-balloon enteroscopy and minimal invasive bowel surgery for small bowel pathology...
- Clinical application and diagnostic yield of wireless capsule endoscopy in childrenBrice Antao
Pediatric Surgical Unit and Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:364-70. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy and clinical impact of wireless capsule endoscopy (WCE) in children...
- Olympus Lucera high-resolution vascular ectasia mapping in combination with the type V crypt pattern for the invasive depth estimation and nodal disease estimation in Paris type II colorectal cancers: a comparative prospective analysis to 20 MHz ultrasounDavid P Hurlstone
Gastroenterology and Liver Unit at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:178-84. 2007..High-resolution vascular mapping of lesions can show microvascular superficial changes that may predict sm invasive disease...
- Wireless capsule endoscopy in children: a study to assess diagnostic yield in small bowel disease in paediatric patientsMike Thomson
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:192-7. 2007..The aim of our study was to prospectively assess the diagnostic yield of WCE compared with standard investigation in children with suspected small bowel disease...
- Molecular abnormalities in pediatric barrett esophagus: can we test for potential of neoplastic progression?Edna L Maltby
Cytogenetics Department, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Pediatr Dev Pathol 13:310-7. 2010..The importance of this study is that even at the pediatric level, BE can show genetic changes associated with neoplastic progression...
- Acid and nonacid gastro-oesophageal reflux in neurologically impaired children: investigation with the multiple intraluminal impedance procedureRaffaele Del Buono
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:331-5. 2006....
- Feasibility of confocal endomicroscopy in the diagnosis of pediatric gastrointestinal disordersKrishnappa Venkatesh
Centre for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TH, United Kingdom
World J Gastroenterol 15:2214-9. 2009..To evaluate the feasibility and utility of confocal laser endomicroscopy (CLE) in the description of normal gastrointestinal (GI) mucosa and in the diagnosis of GI disorders in children, in comparison to histology...
- Investigation of genomic instability in paediatric Barrett's oesophagus using laser microdissection on paraffin-embedded endoscopic biopsiesMarta C Cohen
Department of Histopathology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:44-9. 2007..To investigate the occurrence of microsatellite instability (MSI) in paediatric Barrett's oesophagus (BE) with the aim of identifying a potential marker for patients at risk for developing dysplasia or adenocarcinoma at a later stage...
- Eosinophils in the oesophageal mucosa: clinical, pathological and epidemiological relevance in children: a cohort studyMarta C Cohen
Department of Histopathology, Sheffield Children s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, UK
BMJ Open 2:e000493. 2012..A significant proportion of patients with eosinophilia in the mucosa also have GORD (OS). These patients improve after treating the underlying GORD. The study was registered as a Service Evaluation with the Trust (number SE74)...
- Detection and treatment of early flat and depressed colorectal cancer using high-magnification chromoscopic colonoscopy: a change in paradigm for Western endoscopists?David Paul Hurlstone
Department of Endoscopy, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, 17 Alexandra Gardens, Lyndhurst Road, Nether Edge, Sheffield, UK
Dig Dis Sci 52:1387-93. 2007....
- Pediatric columnar lined esophagus vs Barrett's esophagus: is it the time for a consensus definitionMarta C Cohen
Department of Histopathology, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
Pediatr Dev Pathol 12:116-26. 2009..A consensus definition and further studies to understand the molecular mechanisms involved in the development of BE at this age are needed...
- Endoscopic mucosal resection for flat neoplasia in chronic ulcerative colitis: can we change the endoscopic management paradigm?David P Hurlstone
Gastroenterology and Liver Unit at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Gut 56:838-46. 2007..Historically, such lesions were referred for colectomy. Furthermore, there are only limited data to support endoscopic resection of exophytic adenoma-like mass (ALM) lesions in colitis...
- Duodenal bulb histological analysis should be standard of care when evaluating celiac disease in childrenSonja Mansfield-Smith
1 Department of Histopathology, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Pediatr Dev Pathol 17:339-43. 2014..The severity of CD, as assessed by the Marsh-Oberhuber classification, did not increase distally; on the contrary, in 39/60 (65%) of the cohort, the features of CD were either more severe or only present in D1...
- 20 mm lithium button battery causing an oesophageal perforation in a toddler: lessons in diagnosis and treatmentGiampiero Soccorso
Paediatric Surgery Unit, Sheffield Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S10 2TH, UK
Arch Dis Child 97:746-7. 2012..BBs (20 mm) in children should be removed quickly and close observation is required as the damage initiated by the battery can lead to a significant injury within a few hours...
- Intestinal metabolism and transport of drugs in children: the effects of age and diseaseTrevor N Johnson
Pharmacy Department, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:3-10. 2008..In addition to developmental changes, the influence of gastrointestinal disease and nutrition are additional covariates in the intestinal metabolism of drugs...
- Long polar fimbriae and tissue tropism in Escherichia coli O157:H7Robert Fitzhenry
Centre for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Microbes Infect 8:1741-9. 2006..LP fimbrial genes are the first genes to be identified outside the locus of enterocyte effacement pathogenicity island that influence O157:H7 human intestinal tissue tropism...
- Pediatric ileocolonoscopy training: acquisition of endoscopic skill must be nurtured and objectively assessed within a formalized pediatric frameworkRupert Hinds
Department of Child Health King s College Hospital London, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 45:1-2. 2007
- Esophageal pH monitoring and impedance measurement: a comparison of two diagnostic tests for gastroesophageal refluxTobias G Wenzl
Kinderklinik, Rheinisch Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 34:519-23. 2002....
- Diarrhoea and gastroenteritis in the infant and young childNadeem Afzal
Royal Free Hospital, London
J Fam Health Care 12:146-50. 2002..This article highlights basic principles of management of gastroenteritis in children. The aim is to produce easily understandable, usable and reproducible evidence-based guidelines...
- Reflux: causes and treatmentsMike Thomson
Royal Free Hospital, London
J Fam Health Care 12:6. 2002..GOR symptoms can resolve using agents or special infant formulae that thicken the gastric contents. It is important to try and avoid invasive procedures in children with GOR...
- Improved nutritional recovery on an elemental diet in Zambian children with persistent diarrhoea and malnutritionBeatrice Amadi
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia
J Trop Pediatr 51:5-10. 2005..6, -1.6; p=0.04). Diarrhoea frequency and global recovery scores improved equally in both treatment groups and mortality did not differ. A diet of reduced molecular complexity was associated with significantly improved weight gain...
- Chromoscopic endomicroscopy: in vivo cellular resolution imaging of the colorectumLesley Ann Smith
The General Infirmary, Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1009-23. 2008..Endomicroscopy will be key to this immuno-imaging interface. Within the present review, we discuss the current clinical evidence in support of confocal endomicroscopy and explore the new diagnostic possibilities for this technology...