Affiliation: Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Study of Optimal Replacement of Thyroxine in the ElDerly (SORTED): protocol for a mixed methods feasibility study to assess the clinical utility of lower dose thyroxine in elderly hypothyroid patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trialScott Wilkes
Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4AX, UK
Trials 14:83. 2013..We report the protocol of a feasibility study working towards a full-scale randomized controlled trial to test whether lower dose levothyroxine has beneficial cardiovascular outcomes in the oldest old...
- Health status in patients with sub-clinical hypothyroidismSalman Razvi
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead NE9 6SX, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 152:713-7. 2005..People with this condition may have symptoms which could affect their perception of health. Therefore, the perceived health status of people with SCH was assessed and compared with population-matched norms...
- Subclinical thyroid disorders: significance and clinical impactSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust, Gateshead, UK
J Clin Pathol 63:379-86. 2010..The causes, effects and outcomes of treatment of both subclinical diseases are described, and the direction of future research in these conditions is outlined...
- The incidence of ischemic heart disease and mortality in people with subclinical hypothyroidism: reanalysis of the Whickham Survey cohortSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Gateshead Health National Health Service Foundation Trust, Gateshead NE9 6SX, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1734-40. 2010..This result appears to be at odds with the findings of other cohort studies...
- The influence of age on the relationship between subclinical hypothyroidism and ischemic heart disease: a metaanalysisSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, NE9 6SX, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:2998-3007. 2008..Subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH) is a common condition that has been associated with ischemic heart disease (IHD) in some, but not all, studies. This may be due to differences in study design and the characteristics of participants...
- The beneficial effect of L-thyroxine on cardiovascular risk factors, endothelial function, and quality of life in subclinical hypothyroidism: randomized, crossover trialSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1715-23. 2007..It is uncertain whether treatment of SCH with L-thyroxine improves cardiovascular (CV) risk factors and quality of life...
- Endothelial progenitor cells in subclinical hypothyroidism: the effect of thyroid hormone replacement therapyS K Abdul Shakoor
Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead NE9 6SX, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:319-22. 2010..However, its management remains controversial. Endothelial progenitor cells (EPC), expressing both endothelial and stem cell markers, are known to offer a novel CV risk marker...
- Study of Optimal Replacement of Thyroxine in the Elderly (SORTED) - results from the feasibility randomised controlled trialSalman Razvi
Institute of Genetic Medicine and Queen Elizabeth Hospital, International Centre for Life, Newcastle University, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ UK Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, NE9 6SX UK
Thyroid Res 9:5. 2016..However, in practice laboratory reference ranges for thyroid function are not age-specific and treatment in older patients aims to achieve a similar target thyroid function level as younger age groups...
- Blood thrombogenicity is independently associated with serum TSH levels in post-non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromeGirish Viswanathan
Institutes of Cellular Medicine G V, K B, S M, A Z and Institute of Genetic Medicine S R, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, United Kingdom Department of Cardiology A Z, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7DN, United Kingdom and Gateshead Health National Health Service Foundation Trust R H, S R, Gateshead NE9 6SX, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E1050-4. 2014....
- Instruments used in measuring symptoms, health status and quality of life in hypothyroidism: a systematic qualitative reviewSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:617-24. 2005..A number of instruments have been used in hypothyroidism, leading to lack of clarity about what exactly is being measured, and the rationale for the inclusion of particular measures is often uncertain...
- The Natural History of Subclinical Hyperthyroidism in Graves' Disease: The Rule of ThirdsSviatlana Zhyzhneuskaya
1 Department of Endocrinology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, United Kingdom
Thyroid 26:765-9. 2016..There is little information regarding the natural history of subclinical hyperthyroidism (SH) due to Graves' disease (GD)...
- Metformin improves circulating endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells in type 1 diabetes: MERIT studyFahad W Ahmed
Department of Diabetes, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead, UK
Cardiovasc Diabetol 15:116. 2016....
- A 52-year-old female with a hoarse voice and tingling in the handSalman Razvi
Endocrine Unit, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 4:e29. 2007
- What is the evidence behind the evidence-base? The premature death of block-replace antithyroid drug regimens for Graves' diseaseSalman Razvi
Department of Endocrinology, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 154:783-6. 2006....
- Evaluation of new measures of the impact of hypothyroidism on quality of life and symptoms: the ThyDQoL and ThySRQCarolyn McMillan
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, UK
Value Health 11:285-94. 2008....
- Psychometric evaluation of a new questionnaire measuring treatment satisfaction in hypothyroidism: the ThyTSQCarolyn McMillan
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, UK
Value Health 9:132-9. 2006....