Michael P Philpott
Affiliation: Queen Mary
- Upregulation of FOXM1 induces genomic instability in human epidermal keratinocytesMuy Teck Teh
Centre for Clinical and Diagnostic Oral Sciences, Institute of Dentistry, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, Turner Street, London E1 2AD, UK
Mol Cancer 9:45. 2010..This indicates that upregulation of FOXM1 may be an early molecular signal required for aberrant cell cycle and cancer initiation...
- Defensins and acneMichael P Philpott
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, 2 Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
Mol Immunol 40:457-62. 2003..The upregulation of beta-defensins expression in acne vulgaris lesions when compared to controls suggests that beta-defensins may be involved in the pathogenesis of acne vulgaris...
- Loss of protein kinase Calpha expression may enhance the tumorigenic potential of Gli1 in basal cell carcinomaGraham W Neill
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, 2 Newark Street, Whitechapel, London E1 2AT, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 63:4692-7. 2003..As BCCs have been proposed to originate from the ORS, loss of PKCalpha expression may be relevant to tumor formation; this may, in part, be because of the predicted increase in Gli1 transcriptional activity...
- Characterization of liver X receptor expression and function in human skin and the pilosebaceous unitLouise E Russell
Centre for Cutaneous Research and Centre for Endocrinology, Bart s and the London Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary College, University of London, London, UK
Exp Dermatol 16:844-52. 2007..In addition, we showed that the synthetic agonist TO901317 significantly reduced hair growth, in vitro...
- Neuronal differentiation in basal cell carcinoma: possible relationship to Hedgehog pathway activation?Sinclair M Gore
Centre for Cutaneous Research, St Bartholomew s and the London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
J Pathol 219:61-8. 2009..Moreover, we suggest that correlation between loss of expression of neuronal markers in infiltrative and morphoeic BCC subtypes reflects dedifferentiation of more aggressive BCC subtypes...
- GLI1 repression of ERK activity correlates with colony formation and impaired migration in human epidermal keratinocytesGraham W Neill
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, 4 Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
Carcinogenesis 29:738-46. 2008..Finally, ERK activity was predominantly negative in 13/14 BCCs (superficial/nodular), indicating that GLI1 does not routinely co-operate with ERK to induce the formation of this common skin tumour...
- Role for WNT16B in human epidermal keratinocyte proliferation and differentiationMuy Teck Teh
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, Blizard Building, 4 Newark Street, London, E1 2AT, UK
J Cell Sci 120:330-9. 2007..This work presents the first evidence that WNT16B activates human keratinocyte proliferation possibly via a beta-catenin-independent non-canonical WNT transduction pathway...
- Genomewide single nucleotide polymorphism microarray mapping in basal cell carcinomas unveils uniparental disomy as a key somatic eventMuy Teck Teh
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, England, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 65:8597-603. 2005..Furthermore, we provide the first evidence that uniparental disomy due to somatic recombination constitutes one of the mechanisms of LOH in basal cell carcinoma tumorigenesis...
- FOXM1 is a downstream target of Gli1 in basal cell carcinomasMuy Teck Teh
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 2AT, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 62:4773-80. 2002....
- Expression of lipogenic factors galectin-12, resistin, SREBP-1, and SCD in human sebaceous glands and cultured sebocytesWesley J Harrison
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 127:1309-17. 2007....
- Epidermal and hair follicle progenitor cells express melanoma-associated chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan core proteinLucy Ghali
Center for Cutaneous Research, Barts, and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 122:433-42. 2004..These data suggest that epithelial compartmentalization of the outer root sheath is more complex than interfollicular epidermis and further supports the hypothesis that more than one hair follicle stem cell compartment may exist...
- Contrasting expression patterns of CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein transcription factors in the hair follicle and at different stages of the hair growth cycleJonathan J Bull
Centre for Cutaneous Research, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 118:17-24. 2002....
- R-spondins in cutaneous biology: nails and cancerDiana C Blaydon
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and The London, Queen Mary, University of London, Whitechapel, London, UK
Cell Cycle 6:895-7. 2007..This review discusses the key roles R-spondins play in embryogenesis, adult tissue maintenance and skin carcinogenesis...
- Selective modulation of Hedgehog/GLI target gene expression by epidermal growth factor signaling in human keratinocytesMaria Kasper
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Mol Cell Biol 26:6283-98. 2006..The results suggest that EGFR signaling modulates GLI target gene profiles which may play an important regulatory role in ORS specification, hair growth, and possibly cancer...
- FOXE1, a new transcriptional target of GLI2 is expressed in human epidermis and basal cell carcinomaThomas Eichberger
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
J Invest Dermatol 122:1180-7. 2004..FOXE1 expression is also found in basal keratinocytes of the human epidermis and basal cell carcinoma (BCC). These data point to a putative role of FOXE1 in mediating Hh signaling in the human epidermis downstream of GLI2...
- Activation of the BCL2 promoter in response to Hedgehog/GLI signal transduction is predominantly mediated by GLI2Gerhard Regl
Department of Molecular Biology, Division of Genomics, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Cancer Res 64:7724-31. 2004..The results reveal a central role for GLI2 in activating the prosurvival factor BCL2, which may represent an important mechanism in the development or maintenance of cancers associated with inappropriate HH signaling...
- Animal and in vitro models for the study of hair folliclesValerie A Randall
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD7 1DP UK
J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 8:39-45. 2003..Each system has advantages and disadvantages for studying particular aspects of follicular function and some are potentially useful for the development of novel treatments for hair disorders...