Genomes and Genes
Georgina M Ellison
Affiliation: Liverpool John Moores University
- Optimizing cardiac repair and regeneration through activation of the endogenous cardiac stem cell compartmentGeorgina M Ellison
Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, RISES, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool, UK
J Cardiovasc Transl Res 5:667-77. 2012....
- c-kitpos GATA-4 high rat cardiac stem cells foster adult cardiomyocyte survival through IGF-1 paracrine signallingNanako Kawaguchi
International Research and Educational Institute for Integrated Medical Sciences IREIIMS, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 5:e14297. 2010..Resident c-kit positive (c-kitpos) cardiac stem cells (CSCs) could be considered the most appropriate cell type for myocardial regeneration therapies. However, much is still unknown regarding their biological properties and potential...
- Physiological cardiac remodelling in response to endurance exercise training: cellular and molecular mechanismsGeorgina M Ellison
Liverpool John Moores University, The Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Room 1 41, Tom Reilly Building, Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK
Heart 98:5-10. 2012..Dissecting the mechanisms for stem/progenitor cell activation with exercise will be instrumental to devise new effective therapies, encompassing myocardial regeneration for a large spectrum of cardiovascular diseases...
- Characterization of long-term cultured c-kit+ cardiac stem cells derived from adult rat heartsShinka Miyamoto
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart Institute of Japan, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Stem Cells Dev 19:105-16. 2010..The present study suggests that c-kit(+) CSCs have great therapeutic potential yet should be further investigated and optimized as a cell source for regenerative therapies prior to transplantation...
- Porcine skeletal muscle-derived multipotent PW1pos/Pax7neg interstitial cells: isolation, characterization, and long-term cultureFiona C Lewis
Centre of Human and Aerospace Physiological Sciences and Centre for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, King s College London, London, United Kingdom Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool JM University, Liverpool, United Kingdom Myology Group, Unité Mixte de Recherche S 787 INSERM, Universite Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Stem Cells Transl Med 3:702-12. 2014..These findings open new avenues for a variety of solid tissue engineering and regeneration using a single multipotent stem cell type isolated from an easily accessible source, such as skeletal muscle. ..
- Endogenous cardiac stem cell activation by insulin-like growth factor-1/hepatocyte growth factor intracoronary injection fosters survival and regeneration of the infarcted pig heartGeorgina M Ellison
The Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, RISES, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:977-86. 2011....
- The adult heart responds to increased workload with physiologic hypertrophy, cardiac stem cell activation, and new myocyte formationCheryl D Waring
Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Tom Reilly Building, Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK
Eur Heart J 35:2722-31. 2014..The role, if any, of adult-resident endogenous cardiac stem/progenitor cells (eCSCs) and new cardiomyocyte formation in physiological cardiac remodelling remains unexplored...
- Adult c-kit(pos) cardiac stem cells are necessary and sufficient for functional cardiac regeneration and repairGeorgina M Ellison
Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology Unit BioStem, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK
Cell 154:827-42. 2013..These data show that c-kit(pos) eCSCs are necessary and sufficient for the regeneration and repair of myocardial damage...
- Cardiac stem and progenitor cell identification: different markers for the same cell?Georgina M Ellison
Stem Cell and Molecular Physiology Laboratory, The Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool JM University, Liverpool, UK
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2:641-52. 2010..A better understanding of the origin, biology and physiology of the myocardial stem and progenitor cells will impact the development of regenerative medicine as an effective therapy for heart disease and failure...
- Relative toxicity of cardiotonic agents: some induce more cardiac and skeletal myocyte apoptosis and necrosis in vivo than othersJatin G Burniston
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Webster Street, Liverpool, England
Cardiovasc Toxicol 5:355-64. 2005..These observations suggest that judicious clinical use of such agents requires careful weighing of potential benefits against the harm via accelerated cumulative loss of myocytes...