D A Scott
Affiliation: King's College London
- Serum concentration of total soluble CD44 is elevated in smokersD A Scott
Dental Clinical Research, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, SE1 9RT, UK E mail
Biomarkers 5:240-4. 2000..The effect of smoking on sCD44 concentrations should be considered when assessing the role of sCD44 as a marker of inflammatory disease, cancer, or other disease processes. ..
- Dramatic decline in circulating intercellular adhesion molecule-1 concentration on quitting tobacco smokingD A Scott
Dental Clinical Research, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
Blood Cells Mol Dis 26:255-8. 2000..Soluble ICAM-1 remains bioactive and may contribute to pathogenic processes; therefore, reduction in the concentration of circulating ICAM-1 molecules may directly contribute to the health benefits associated with smoking cessation...
- The acute influence of tobacco smoking on adhesion molecule expression on monocytes and neutrophils and on circulating adhesion molecule levels in vivoD A Scott
Dental Clinical Research, Guy s, King s and St Thomas s Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Addict Biol 5:195-205. 2000..These data suggest that the elevated concentration of sICAM-1 in smokers is not due to an immediate effect of smoking...
- Potential mechanisms of susceptibility to periodontitis in tobacco smokersR M Palmer
Department of Periodontology, Guy s, Kings School of Medicine and Dentistry, King s College London, UK
J Periodontal Res 34:363-9. 1999..These observations may be relevant to aetiological mechanisms in periodontitis and other smoking-associated diseases...
- Effect of nicotine replacement and quitting smoking on circulating adhesion molecule profiles (sICAM-1, sCD44v5, sCD44v6)R M Palmer
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, King s College London, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 32:852-7. 2002..We have previously shown that systemic concentrations of these molecules are increased significantly in tobacco smokers, but reduce to within normal levels at 12 months following successful quitting...
- Gingival bleeding on probing increases after quitting smokingP Nair
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Dentistry, Kings College, Guy s Campus, London SE1 9RT, UK
J Clin Periodontol 30:435-7. 2003..Gingival inflammation associated with plaque accumulation is delayed or impaired in smokers. Anecdotal evidence suggests that smokers who quit experience an increase in gingival bleeding...
- Expression of ICAM-1 and E-selectin in gingival tissues of smokers and non-smokers with periodontitisK Rezavandi
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, King s College London, London, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 31:59-64. 2002..Tobacco smoking affects systemic concentrations of soluble intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1, but its effect on local expression of adhesion molecules in gingival tissue has not been studied previously...
- Analysis of circulating insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and IGF binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) in tobacco smokers and non-smokersR M Palmer
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, King s College London, London, UK
Tob Induc Dis 1:157-70. 2002..However, there is conflicting evidence that tobacco smoking may influence systemic concentrations of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3...
- Validation of smoking status in clinical research into inflammatory periodontal diseaseD A Scott
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Canada, R3E OW2
J Clin Periodontol 28:715-22. 2001..DISCUSSION: Additionally, clinical studies that have examined periodontal health in subjects with validated smoking status are discussed...
- Variation in tobacco use profiles obtained from periodontal maintenance patientsJ P Picard
Department of Dental Diagnostics, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man, Canada
J Dent 35:934-8. 2007..To compare methods of tobacco use profiling in patients undergoing maintenance treatment for periodontitis...
- Increased local matrix metalloproteinase-8 expression in the periodontal connective tissues of smokers with periodontal diseaseK Z Liu
Department of Oral Biology, University of Manitoba, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:775-80. 2006..This finding may also have relevance to other tobacco-induced inflammatory diseases, such as vascular and pulmonary diseases...
- The influence of vitamin C on systemic markers of endothelial and inflammatory cell activation in smokers and non-smokersD A Scott
Periodontics, Endodontics and Dental Hygiene, School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, 501 South Preston, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Inflamm Res 54:138-44. 2005....
- Elevated systemic concentrations of soluble ICAM-1 (sICAM) are not reflected in the gingival crevicular fluid of smokers with periodontitisH S Fraser
Department of Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, Guy's, King's, and St Thomas' Dental Institute, School of Medicine, King's College London, UK
J Dent Res 80:1643-7. 2001..001). Since GCF is a serum-derived tissue exudate, these results suggest that, in smokers, circulating sICAM-1 molecules are affected either in their passage from the periodontal microvasculature or within the periodontal tissues...
- Tobacco-induced alterations to the Fourier-transform infrared spectrum of serumJ T Borden
Department of Oral Biology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, 780 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3E 0W2, Canada
J Mol Med (Berl) 81:788-94. 2003..This further extends the utility of IR spectroscopy as a rapidly emerging tool in the field of molecular biodiagnostics...