Genomes and Genes
Anthony I Magee
Affiliation: Imperial College
- Fatty acylation and prenylation of proteins: what's hot in fatTony Magee
Imperial College London, Section of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Biomedical Sciences, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, London, SW72AZ, UK
Curr Opin Cell Biol 17:190-6. 2005..The two types of prenyl group, geranylgeranyl and farnesyl, themselves have surprisingly specific targeting roles for Ras superfamily members...
- Detergent-resistant membranes and the protein composition of lipid raftsAnthony I Magee
Division of Biomedical Sciences, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, SAF Building, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Genome Biol 4:234. 2003..Several recent proteomic studies have addressed the composition of lipid rafts, but the different definitions used for lipid rafts need scrutinizing before results can be evaluated...
- Are prenyl groups on proteins sticky fingers or greasy handles?Anthony I Magee
Section of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Biochem J 376:e3-4. 2003....
- High plasma membrane lipid order imaged at the immunological synapse periphery in live T cellsDylan M Owen
Chemical Biology Centre, Imperial College, London, UK
Mol Membr Biol 27:178-89. 2010..The observed spatial patterning of membrane order in the immunological synapse depends on active receptor signalling...
- Control of immune responses by trafficking cell surface proteins, vesicles and lipid rafts to and from the immunological synapseSabrina B Taner
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Traffic 5:651-61. 2004....
- DHHC2 is a protein S-acyltransferase for LckRuth Zeidman
Molecular Medicine Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, London, UK
Mol Membr Biol 28:473-86. 2011..DHHC2 localizes primarily to the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus suggesting that it is involved in S-acylation of newly-synthesized or recycling Lck involved in T cell signalling...
- A compact, multidimensional spectrofluorometer exploiting supercontinuum generationHugh B Manning
Chemical Biology Centre, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, London, UK
J Biophotonics 1:494-505. 2008..It can be applied to in situ measurements via a fibre-optic probe in medical and other contexts and is demonstrated here to provide a comprehensive characterisation of tissue autofluorescence...
- Cold-induced coalescence of T-cell plasma membrane microdomains activates signalling pathwaysAnthony I Magee
Division of Biomedical Sciences, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
J Cell Sci 118:3141-51. 2005..These results support the concept that lipid rafts can form in membranes of live cells and that their coalescence stimulates signalling...
- Optical techniques for imaging membrane lipid microdomains in living cellsDylan M Owen
Chemical Biology Centre, Imperial College London, London, UK
Semin Cell Dev Biol 18:591-8. 2007..We also look at novel emerging instruments and methods that promise to overcome our current technological limitations and shed new light on these important structures...
- Analysis of protein acylationRuth Zeidman
Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Curr Protoc Protein Sci . 2009....
- Lipid order and molecular assemblies in the plasma membrane of eukaryotic cellsMarek Cebecauer
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 37:1056-60. 2009..The role of lipids and their physical properties in helping to control the existence of these structures is discussed. Technological improvements for live cell imaging of membrane components are also reviewed...
- Cell surface organization of stress-inducible proteins ULBP and MICA that stimulate human NK cells and T cells via NKG2DKonstantina Eleme
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Exp Med 199:1005-10. 2004..Finally, expression of a truncated form of MICA that lacks the putative site for S-acylation and the cytoplasmic tail can be expressed at the cell surface, but is unable to activate NK cells...
- Attenuation of hedgehog acyltransferase-catalyzed sonic Hedgehog palmitoylation causes reduced signaling, proliferation and invasiveness of human carcinoma cellsAntonios D Konitsiotis
Molecular Medicine Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 9:e89899. 2014..Our data identify Hhat as a key player in Hh-dependent signaling and tumour cell transformed behaviour. ..
- Acyltransferases for secreted signalling proteins (Review)Shu Chun Chang
Section of Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK
Mol Membr Biol 26:104-13. 2009..Characterization of these enzymes could lead to their identification as therapeutic targets for diverse human diseases such as cancers, obesity and diabetes...
- Rab GTPases containing a CAAX motif are processed post-geranylgeranylation by proteolysis and methylationKa Fai Leung
Molecular and Cellular Medicine Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 282:1487-97. 2007..Our findings also imply that those Rabs that undergo post-prenylation processing follow an indirect targeting pathway requiring initial endoplasmic reticulum membrane association prior to specific organelle targeting...
- Signalling complexes and clusters: functional advantages and methodological hurdlesMarek Cebecauer
Section of Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
J Cell Sci 123:309-20. 2010....
- Membrane bound O-acyltransferases and their inhibitorsNaoko Masumoto
Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, SW7 2AZ, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 43:246-52. 2015..In this review, topology determination, development of assays to measure enzymatic activities and discovery of small molecule inhibitors are compared and discussed for each of these enzymes. ..
- Modulation of Amide Bond Rotamers in 5-Acyl-6,7-dihydrothieno[3,2-c]pyridinesThomas Lanyon-Hogg
Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, U K
J Org Chem 80:4370-7. 2015..This finding emphasizes that directed conformational isomerism has significant implications for the design of both small molecules and larger amide-containing molecular architectures. ..
- Imaging metabolism of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate in T-cell GM1-enriched domains containing Ras proteinsIngela Parmryd
Division of Membrane Biology, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, NW7 1AA, UK
Exp Cell Res 285:27-38. 2003..The results demonstrate that T-cell PI(4,5)P(2) metabolism is occurring in GM1-enriched domains and that Ras proteins are present in these domains in vivo...
- Multifunctional reagents for quantitative proteome-wide analysis of protein modification in human cells and dynamic profiling of protein lipidation during vertebrate developmentMalgorzata Broncel
Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ UK
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 54:5948-51. 2015....
- Cholesterylation: a tail of hedgehogPaulina Ciepla
Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 43:262-7. 2015....
- Lipid rafts: cell surface platforms for T cell signalingTony Magee
Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Biol Res 35:127-31. 2002..Thus rafts are hotspots for both protein and lipid signalling pathways...
- Protein acyl thioesterases (Review)Ruth Zeidman
Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Imperial College London, London, UK
Mol Membr Biol 26:32-41. 2009..PPT1, on the other hand, is involved in the lysosomal degradation of S-acylated proteins and PPT1 deficiency causes the disease infant neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis...
- Fluorescence lifetime imaging provides enhanced contrast when imaging the phase-sensitive dye di-4-ANEPPDHQ in model membranes and live cellsDylan M Owen
Chemical Biology Centre, Department of Physics, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Biophys J 90:L80-2. 2006..Detection of cholesterol-rich membrane microdomains is confirmed by observation of the temperature dependence of membrane order and by cholesterol depletion using methyl-beta-cyclodextrin...
- The Salmonella SPI-2 effector SseJ exhibits eukaryotic activator-dependent phospholipase A and glycerophospholipid : cholesterol acyltransferase activityNadine S Lossi
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College London, Armstrong Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Microbiology 154:2680-8. 2008..Analysis of the activating factor(s) shows that it is soluble and heat- and protease-sensitive. We conclude that PLA and GCAT activities of SseJ are potentiated by proteinaceous eukaryotic factor(s)...
- Bioorthogonal chemical tagging of protein cholesterylation in living cellsWilliam P Heal
Department of Chemistry, Imperial College London, Exhibition Rd, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Chem Commun (Camb) 47:4081-3. 2011..This enables rapid multiplexed fluorescence detection and affinity labelling of protein cholesterylation, as exemplified by Sonic hedgehog protein, opening up new approaches for the de novo identification of cholesterylated proteins...
- Two distinct sites in sonic Hedgehog combine for heparan sulfate interactions and cell signaling functionsShu Chun Chang
Molecular Medicine Section, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:44391-402. 2011..These studies provide a new insight into the functional roles of hShh interactions with HSPGs, which may allow targeting this aspect of hShh biology in, for example, pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma...
- Transduction of naive CD4 T cells with kinase-deficient Lck-HIV-Tat fusion protein dampens T cell activation and provokes a switch to regulatory functionMarc Veldhoen
Division of Molecular Immunology, The National Institute for Medical Research, London, UK
Eur J Immunol 35:207-16. 2005..Our data indicate that signals encountered by a naive T cell during its initial activation can profoundly influence its subsequent functional behavior and elicit T cells, which can have regulatory activity...
- A Salmonella typhimurium effector protein SifA is modified by host cell prenylation and S-acylation machineryAnna T Reinicke
Division of Immunology, Department of Pathology, Center for Veterinary Science, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 280:14620-7. 2005..This is the only known example of a bacterial effector protein that is modified both by mammalian cell S-acylation and prenylation machinery...
- Single-molecule diffusion reveals similar mobility for the Lck, H-ras, and K-ras membrane anchorsPiet H M Lommerse
Physics of Life Processes, Leiden Institute of Physics, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Biophys J 91:1090-7. 2006....
- Ras/ERK1/2-mediated STAT3 Ser727 phosphorylation by familial medullary thyroid carcinoma-associated RET mutants induces full activation of STAT3 and is required for c-fos promoter activation, cell mitogenicity, and transformationIvan Plaza-Menacho
Department of Genetics, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Biol Chem 282:6415-24. 2007..These data show that FMTC-RET mutants activate a Ras/ERK1/2/STAT3 Ser(727) pathway, which plays an important role in cell mitogenicity and transformation...
- Molecular interactions between desmosomal cadherinsShabih e Hassnain Syed
Division of Membrane Biology, The National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Biochem J 362:317-27. 2002....
- The Lck SH3 domain negatively regulates localization to lipid rafts through an interaction with c-CblIbrahim Y Hawash
Department of Biology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 277:5683-91. 2002..The association of Lck with c-Cbl in vivo required a functional SH3 domain. These results suggest a model whereby the SH3 domain negatively regulates basal localization of Lck to lipid rafts via association with c-Cbl...