Affiliation: Imperial Cancer Research Fund
- Cancer and the chemokine networkFran Balkwill
Cancer Research UK Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s Medical School, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Nat Rev Cancer 4:540-50. 2004
- Interferons and cytokines on a grand scaleF Balkwill
Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Lincolns Inn Fields, London, U K
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 8:91-5. 1997....
- Inflammation and cancer: back to Virchow?F Balkwill
ICRF Translational Oncology Laboratory, St Bartholomew s and Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK
Lancet 357:539-45. 2001..In this article we have provided a rationale for the use of cytokine and chemokine blockade, and further investigation of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, in the chemoprevention and treatment of malignant diseases...
- Tumor necrosis factor or tumor promoting factor?Fran Balkwill
ICRF Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Science Building, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 13:135-41. 2002
- Cancer and inflammation: implications for pharmacology and therapeuticsF Balkwill
Centre for Cancer and Inflammation, Institute of Cancer, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Clin Pharmacol Ther 87:401-6. 2010..Smoldering, nonresolving inflammation is a component of the tumor microenvironment. The linkage between inflammation and cancer, first perceived in the nineteenth century, is now part of an accepted paradigm of carcinogenesis...
- Therapy of human ovarian cancer xenografts with intraperitoneal liposome encapsulated muramyl-tripeptide phosphoethanolamine (MTP-PE) and recombinant GM-CSFS T Malik
Biological Therapies Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Lincoln s Inn Fields, London
Br J Cancer 63:399-403. 1991....
- Multiple molecular and cellular changes associated with tumour stasis and regression during IL-12 therapy of a murine breast cancer modelS Dias
Biological Therapies Laboratory, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, London, UK
Int J Cancer 75:151-7. 1998..Comparison of IL-12 and IFN-gamma suggests that sustained induction of IP-10 and activation of a resulting cellular infiltrate may be key changes in regressing tumours...
- The role of cytokines in the epithelial cancer microenvironmentJulia Wilson
ICRF Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Semin Cancer Biol 12:113-20. 2002....
- Fran BalkwillFran Balkwill
J Cell Sci 118:1339-40. 2005
- Cancer: an inflammatory linkFran Balkwill
Nature 431:405-6. 2004
- The chemokine network in cancer--much more than directing cell movementHagen Kulbe
Cancer Research UK, Translational Oncology Laboratory, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Int J Dev Biol 48:489-96. 2004....
- The significance of cancer cell expression of the chemokine receptor CXCR4Fran Balkwill
Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s Medical School, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Semin Cancer Biol 14:171-9. 2004..However CXCR4 plays major roles in embryogenesis, homeostasis and inflammation. This raises questions concerning the specificity of CXCR4 antagonists in the treatment of cancer...
- The inflammatory cytokine network of epithelial cancer: therapeutic implicationsPeter Szlosarek
Cancer Research UK, Translational Oncology Laboratory, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, John Vane Science Centre, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Novartis Found Symp 256:227-37; discussion 237-40, 259-69. 2004..Agents that antagonize TNFalpha or chemokines are currently being assessed in preclinical animal cancer models and in phase I clinical trials...
- Chemokine biology in cancerFran Balkwill
Cancer Research UK, Translational Oncology Laboratory Barts, The London Charterhouse Square, Queen Mary s Medical School, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Semin Immunol 15:49-55. 2003..Detailed study of chemokine and chemokine receptor antagonists in experimental cancer models is warranted. Manipulation of the tumor chemokine network could have therapeutic potential in malignant disease...
- IFN-gamma induces apoptosis in ovarian cancer cells in vivo and in vitroLucy Wall
Cancer Research UK, University Department of Oncology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 9:2487-96. 2003..The purpose of this study was to compare in vitro and in vivo responses of primary human tumor cells to IFN-gamma...