Affiliation: Health Protection Agency
- The changing epidemiology of cryptosporidiosis in North West EnglandW Sopwith
Health Protection Agency, North West Regional Office, Liverpool, UK
Epidemiol Infect 133:785-93. 2005..This study highlights the far-reaching public health benefit of local working relationships in addressing re-occurring disease issues...
- Identification of potential environmentally adapted Campylobacter jejuni strain, United KingdomWill Sopwith
Health Protection Agency, North West, Liverpool, UK
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1769-73. 2008..jejuni type in surface waters. ST-45 is likely more adapted to survival outside a host, making it a key driver of transmission between livestock, environmental, and human settings...
- Campylobacter jejuni multilocus sequence types in humans, northwest England, 2003-2004Will Sopwith
Health Protection Agency North West, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1500-7. 2006..We demonstrate the ability of MLST to identify variations in the epidemiology of campylobacteriosis between distinct populations and describe the distribution of key subtypes of interest...
- An outbreak no longer: factors contributing to the return of syphilis in Greater ManchesterM Ashton
Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre North West, 57a Upper Northgate Street, Chester CH1 4EF, UK
Sex Transm Infect 79:291-3. 2003..In the past few years, increased diagnoses of syphilis have been reported in cities around Britain and Europe. Enhanced surveillance of cases began in 1999 to identify the epidemiology of this increase in Greater Manchester...
- Behind the mask. Journey through an epidemic: some observations of contrasting public health responses to SARSQ Syed
Health Protection Agency North West, Chester, UK Birkenhead and Wirral PCT, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 57:855-6. 2003..The public health significance of such potent symbols as the face mask may be considered in strategies to tackle other emerging infections...
- Norovirus outbreak in a cruise ship sailing around the British Isles: investigation and multi-agency management of an international outbreakRoberto Vivancos
Cheshire and Merseyside Health Protection Unit, Health Protection Agency, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Infect 60:478-85. 2010..For this reason it is important to understand the complex patterns of transmission in a closed community. We describe the epidemiological investigation of an outbreak of norovirus during an international cruise...
- Investigation of food and environmental exposures relating to the epidemiology of Campylobacter coli in humans in Northwest EnglandWill Sopwith
Health Protection Agency, North West Local and Regional Services, Liverpool, UK
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:129-35. 2010..There is little evidence to suggest that epidemiological differences between human cases of C. coli and C. jejuni are a result of different food or behavioral exposures alone...
- A national outbreak of verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli O157 associated with consumption of lemon-and-coriander chicken wraps from a supermarket chainP J Whittaker
Health Protection Agency, North West, Liverpool
Epidemiol Infect 137:375-82. 2009..The outbreak was probably caused by one contaminated batch of an ingredient in the chicken wrap. Even when current best practice is in place, ready-to-eat foods can still be a risk for widespread infection...
- Healthcare-associated rotavirus gastroenteritis in a large paediatric hospital in the UKN A Cunliffe
Department of Medical Microbiology and Genitourinary Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J Hosp Infect 67:240-4. 2007..Rotavirus vaccines represent a public health tool that could prevent the majority of symptomatic rotavirus infections within this healthcare setting...
- How to deal with influenza: worthwhile surveillance system is in actionCatherine Quigley
BMJ 329:1239. 2004