Affiliation: Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust
- The structural and functional consequences of diurnal variations in blood pressure in treated patients with hypertensive cerebrovascular diseaseJonathan Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, Academic Neurosciences Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, Camberwell, UK
J Hypertens 27:1042-8. 2009..We investigated the relationship between 24-h ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) measurements, cerebrovascular disease load and cognitive performance in patients with hypertensive cerebrovascular disease...
- Hypertension-related cognitive decline: is the time right for intervention studies?J Birns
Department of Ageing and Health, 9th Floor, North Wing, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK2
Minerva Cardioangiol 57:813-30. 2009....
- Cerebrovascular reactivity and dynamic autoregulation in ischaemic subcortical white matter diseaseJ Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, Academic Neurosciences Centre, PO41, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:1093-8. 2009..Adequate perfusion of the deep white matter of the brain depends on the relationships between blood pressure (BP), cerebral vasoreactivity and autoregulation...
- Ethnic differences in the cerebrovascular impact of hypertensionJonathan Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, King s College London School of Medicine, London, UK
Cerebrovasc Dis 25:408-16. 2008....
- Blood pressure reduction for vascular risk: is there a price to be paid?Jonathan Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, Guy s King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, United Kingdom
Stroke 36:1308-13. 2005..This will help to direct appropriate protective strategies and treatments in a vulnerable group of people, many of whom have hypertension and cerebrovascular disease at the same time...
- Early cerebrovascular impairment: new insights and controversiesJonathan Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, King s College London School of Medicine, Denmark Hill Campus, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
Int J Stroke 3:167-8. 2008
- The effects of blood pressure reduction on cognitive function: a review of effects based on pooled data from clinical trialsJonathan Birns
Department of Stroke Medicine, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, New Medical School, London, UK
J Hypertens 24:1907-14. 2006..To review systematically and synthesize quantitatively the evidence from completed randomized, controlled trials of blood pressure reduction on cognitive performance...
- Differences in stroke subtypes between black and white patients with stroke: the South London Ethnicity and Stroke StudyHugh S Markus
Centre for Clinical Neuroscience, St George s University of London, London, SW17 ORE, UK
Circulation 116:2157-64. 2007..Determining whether the distribution of stroke subtypes differs between ethnic groups is important in understanding the mechanisms of the increased stroke incidence in black patients...
- Perioperative management of adult patients with a history of stroke or transient ischaemic attack undergoing elective non-cardiac surgeryZehra Mehdi
Department of Ageing and Health, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Clin Med (Lond) 16:535-540. 2016..This article reviews the current evidence and provides a pragmatic interpretation to inform the perioperative management of patients with a history of stroke and/or TIA presenting for elective non-cardiac surgery...
- Endovascular stroke therapyJonathan Birns
Department of Ageing and Health, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom Department of Stroke Medicine, King s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom Electronic address
Eur J Intern Med 25:584-91. 2014..This article reviews the available endovascular therapeutic options and their evidence-base...
- Telemedicine versus face-to-face evaluation in the delivery of thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke: a single centre experienceMuhibbur Chowdhury
Department of Ageing and Health, Guy s and St Thomas Hospitals, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Postgrad Med J 88:134-7. 2012..This study aims to evaluate the process of acute stroke care, safety and outcome profiles when comparing face-to-face evaluation and telemedicine in the delivery of thrombolysis...