Affiliation: Derriford Hospital
- Routine antenatal screening for hepatitis B using pooled sera: validation and review of 10 years experienceR Cunningham
Plymouth Public Health Laboratory, Derriford Hospital, UK
J Clin Pathol 51:392-5. 1998..To validate the sensitivity of universal antenatal screening for hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) by testing pools of 10 sera, and to review 10 years' experience using this method...
- Improved rate of isolation of Neisseria meningitidis by direct plating of pharyngeal swabsR Cunningham
Plymouth Public Health Laboratory, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 39:4575-6. 2001..A comparison of these methods used with 490 high school students found a significantly higher carriage rate with direct plating (11.8 versus 6.1%; P < 0.001)...
- Proton pump inhibitors as a risk factor for Clostridium difficile diarrhoeaR Cunningham
Plymouth Public Health Laboratory, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Hosp Infect 54:243-5. 2003..difficile diarrhoea (odds ratio 2.5, 95% CI 1.5-4.2). Reduction of unnecessary PPI use may be an additional strategy to reduce the incidence of this infection...
- Effect on MRSA transmission of rapid PCR testing of patients admitted to critical careR Cunningham
Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Hosp Infect 65:24-8. 2007..PCR screening for MRSA on admission to critical care units is feasible in routine clinical practice, provides quicker results than culture-based screening and is associated with a significant reduction in subsequent MRSA transmission...
- Is over-use of proton pump inhibitors fuelling the current epidemic of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea?R Cunningham
Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Hosp Infect 70:1-6. 2008..We conclude that restricting PPI use to patients with an appropriate indication would reduce unnecessary expenditure on these agents, and might be an additional means of controlling the current epidemic of CDAD...
- Impact of preoperative screening for meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by real-time polymerase chain reaction in patients undergoing cardiac surgeryS Jog
Department of Microbiology and Infection Prevention and Control, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
J Hosp Infect 69:124-30. 2008..77; 95% confidence interval: 0.056-0.95). PCR screening combined with suppression of MRSA at the time of cardiac surgery is feasible in routine clinical practice and is associated with a significant reduction in subsequent MRSA SSIs...
- Carriage of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among patients admitted with fractured neck of femurJ Greig
J Hosp Infect 66:187-9. 2007
- Gemella haemolysans acute postoperative endophthalmitisS V Raman
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1192-3. 2003
- Outbreaks of hepatitis A in England and Wales associated with two co-circulating hepatitis A virus strainsSiew Lin Ngui
Virus Reference Department, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
J Med Virol 80:1181-8. 2008..0001). The association of the outbreaks to two geographically restricted strains implicates two principal transmission pathways associated with injecting behavior. Identifying these routes may be conducive to preventing further outbreaks...