Affiliation: City Hospital
- Application of the CEDIA 6-MAM assay to routine drugs-of-abuse screeningClaire George
The Regional Toxicology Laboratory, City Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham, England
J Anal Toxicol 26:233-5. 2002..However, all positive results will still need to be confirmed by a more sensitive and specific technique...
- An audit of the effectiveness of amphetamine isomer ratios as a marker of Dexedrine compliance in amphetamine abusersS George
Regional Laboratory of Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Addict Biol 8:439-43. 2003..It is hoped that this technique may continue to be used to audit further the treatment in these individuals in the future to optimize their management...
- A rapid GC-MS method for the determination of dihydrocodeine, codeine, norcodeine, morphine, normorphine and 6-MAM in urineC Meadway
The Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Teaching Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 127:136-41. 2002..A statistically significant relationship was determined between the subject age and the 6-MAM concentration, possibly indicating opiate tolerance in these individuals...
- Has the cocaine epidemic arrived in the UK?Steve George
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Teaching Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham, B18 7QH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 143:187-90. 2004..7% in 1996 to 22% in 2002. This data would suggest that the use of cocaine has increased dramatically over the past few years, indicating that the arrival of the "cocaine epidemic" has now started to become a reality in the UK...
- The development and application of a rapid gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method to monitor buprenorphine withdrawal protocolsS George
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Teaching Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 143:121-5. 2004....
- Position of immunological techniques in screening in clinical toxicologySteve George
Toxicology Laboratory, City Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:1288-309. 2004..Without these links, interpretive errors could arise which could adversely affect the diagnosis and management of patients...
- A snapshot of workplace drug testing in the UKS George
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Occup Med (Lond) 55:69-71. 2005..There is a growing trend towards workplace drug testing in the UK, but there is little published data associated with this work...
- Opiate concentrations following the ingestion of poppy seed products--evidence for 'the poppy seed defence'C Meadway
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK
Forensic Sci Int 96:29-38. 1998..These findings demonstrate that the poppy seed defence could be used as an argument in medico-legal and employment medical cases. Great care should therefore be taken when interpreting the data produced when screening for opiates...
- Application and validation of a urinary methadone metabolite (EDDP) immunoassay to monitor methadone complianceS George
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Teaching Trust, Birmingham, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 37:350-4. 2000..It is concluded that the Microgenics CEDIA EDDP assay is a sensitive and reliable technique to determine the compliance of subjects prescribed methadone for opiate detoxification and maintenance...
- The development and application of a gas chromatography-mass spectrometric (GC-MS) assay to determine the presence of 2-oxo-3-hydroxy-LSD in urineB T Burnley
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Teaching Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham, UK
J Anal Toxicol 27:249-52. 2003..4). This rapid and sensitive technique should enable the Laboratory to perform future audits of LSD abuse throughout the West Midlands and facilitate differential diagnoses to be made between drug misuse and underlying organic disorders...
- Interpretation of GC-MS opiate results in the presence of pholcodineC Meadway
The Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital NHS Trust, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 127:131-5. 2002..2mg/l total morphine can be achieved. This highlights the need for caution when interpreting confirmatory opiate data, especially in medicolegal and clinical cases, and in cases where the use of pholcodine is suspected...
- Are we getting what we pay for?Steve George
Public Health Sciences and Medical Statistics, University of Southampton, Mailpoint 805, Level C, South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Public Health 120:1013-9. 2006....
- How many patients with haematological malignancy need the facilities offered by a district general hospital?Joe Low
Health Care Research Unit, Community Clinical Sciences Division, Southampton University Medical School, Southampton
J Public Health Med 24:196-9. 2002..Demographic projections for the United Kingdom suggest that the incidence of haematological malignancy will increase by 20 per cent in the next 20 years, mostly as a result of demographic change...
- Consultants' new contract. Private practice is unlikely to be main cause of long waiting listsSteve George
BMJ 325:99. 2002
- NHS Direct auditedSteve George
BMJ 324:558-9. 2002
- Are hospital league tables calculated correctly?Steven A Julious
Medical Statistics Group, University of Sheffield, Regent Court, 30 Regent Street, Sheffield S1 4DA, UK
Public Health 121:902-4; discussion 905-8. 2007