Affiliation: Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research
- Oral vaccination of guinea pigs with a Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-Guerin vaccine in a lipid matrix protects against aerosol infection with virulent M. bovisSimon Clark
Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, Salisbury SP4 0JG, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 76:3771-6. 2008..bovis in the lungs. Only oral BCG formulated in lipid gave significant protection. These data point to the potential of the BCG-lipid formulation for further development as a tool for controlling tuberculosis in badgers...
- Assessment of different formulations of oral Mycobacterium bovis Bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine in rodent models for immunogenicity and protection against aerosol challenge with M. bovisSimon Clark
Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, Salisbury SP4 0JG, United Kingdom
Vaccine 26:5791-7. 2008..These results highlight the potential for lipid, rather than alginate, -based vaccine formulations as suitable delivery vehicles for an oral BCG vaccine in badgers...
- An assay to compare the infectivity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates based on aerosol infection of guinea pigs and assessment of bacteriologyAnn Williams
Health Protection Agency Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0JG, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 85:177-84. 2005..This study presents a quick and reliable method for comparing with statistical confidence, the pathogenic potential of M. tuberculosis strains and the impact of in vitro growth conditions on the infectivity of M. tuberculosis in vivo...
- Evaluation of vaccines in the EU TB Vaccine Cluster using a guinea pig aerosol infection model of tuberculosisAnn Williams
Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, Salisbury SP4 OJG, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 85:29-38. 2005..A relatively high aerosol-challenge dose and evaluation over a protracted time post-challenge allowed superior protection over BCG to be demonstrated by BCG boosted with MVA and fowl pox vectors expressing Ag85A...
- Re-formulation of selected DNA vaccine candidates and their evaluation as protein vaccines using a guinea pig aerosol infection model of tuberculosisJulia Vipond
Research Division, Health Protection Agency, Salisbury, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 86:218-24. 2006..One candidate (Rv1806-1807) induced protection in the guinea pig aerosol infection model 30 days post-challenge on the basis of reducing the bacterial burden of M. tuberculosis in the lungs...
- Selection of novel TB vaccine candidates and their evaluation as DNA vaccines against aerosol challengeJulia Vipond
Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, Salisbury SP4 0JG, UK
Vaccine 24:6340-50. 2006..These findings have enabled us to focus on a sub-set of vaccine candidates for further evaluation using additional vaccination strategies...
- Temporal changes in the gene signatures of BCG-vaccinated guinea pigs in response to different mycobacterial antigensJulia A Tree
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 OJG, UK
Vaccine 28:7979-86. 2010..This provides base-line information against which new TB vaccines can be compared...
- Immunogenicity of orally-delivered lipid-formulated BCG vaccines and protection against Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionJulia Vipond
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Porton Down, Salisbury SP4 0JG, United Kingdom
Microbes Infect 10:1577-81. 2008..Oral-delivery of lipid-formulated BCG may offer a practical alternative to parenteral-route BCG vaccination...
- Development of a guinea pig immune response-related microarray and its use to define the host response following Mycobacterium bovis BCG vaccinationJulia A Tree
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0JG, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 74:1436-41. 2006..Eleven genes were significantly (P < 0.05) up-regulated following vaccination, indicating a Th1-type response. These results show that microarrays can be used to more fully define immune profiles of guinea pigs...
- The influence of reduced oxygen availability on pathogenicity and gene expression in Mycobacterium tuberculosisJoanna Bacon
TB Research Group, Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, CAMR, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0JG, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 84:205-17. 2004....
- Passive protection with immunoglobulin A antibodies against tuberculous early infection of the lungsAnn Williams
Health Protection Agency, Porton Down, Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research CAMR, Salisbury, UK
Immunology 111:328-33. 2004..Our results provide evidence of an alternative approach which could be further developed toward immunoprophylaxis against tuberculosis in immunocompromised subjects...
- Evaluation of new vaccines for tuberculosis in the guinea pig modelAnn Williams
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 89:389-97. 2009....
- Route of delivery to the airway influences the distribution of pulmonary disease but not the outcome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in rhesus macaquesLaura Sibley
National Infection Service, Public Health England, Porton Down, Wiltshire, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 96:141-9. 2016..Both challenge routes therefore provide valid and comparable models for evaluation of new TB vaccines, although subtle differences in host responses may occur. ..
- Non-replicating Mycobacterium tuberculosis elicits a reduced infectivity profile with corresponding modifications to the cell wall and extracellular matrixJoanna Bacon
Public Health England, Microbiology Services, Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 9:e87329. 2014..tuberculosis dormancy and how this organism could be establishing latent disease. ..
- Induction of high levels of protective immunity in mice after vaccination using dendritic cells infected with auxotrophic mutants of Mycobacterium tuberculosisEleanor Roy
Mycobacterial Division, National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA, UK
Immunol Lett 103:196-9. 2006..This method for generating high levels of anti-bacterial protective immunity could be helpful in the design of novel vaccines against tuberculosis and other intracellular pathogens...
- Recombinant BCG exporting ESAT-6 confers enhanced protection against tuberculosisAlexander S Pym
Unite de Genetique Moleculaire Bacterienne, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Nat Med 9:533-9. 2003..tuberculosis, showing less severe pathology and reduced dissemination of the pathogen, as compared with control animals immunized with BCG alone...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis arabinomannan-protein conjugates protect against tuberculosisBeston Hamasur
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, S 17182 Solna, Sweden
Vaccine 21:4081-93. 2003..In guinea-pigs, immunization with AMOs-Ag85B in Eurocine L3 adjuvant followed by aerogenic challenge with M. tuberculosis H37Rv resulted in increased survival and reduced pathology in lungs and spleens relative to non-immunized animals...
- A single dose of killed Mycobacterium bovis BCG in a novel class of adjuvant (Novasome) protects guinea pigs from lethal tuberculosisMark A Chambers
TB Research Group, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, Department of Statutory and Exotic Bacteria, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
Vaccine 22:1063-71. 2004..All formulations were well tolerated and one conferred a significant survival advantage against lethal aerogenic challenge with M. bovis...
- Enhanced protection against tuberculosis by vaccination with recombinant Mycobacterium microti vaccine that induces T cell immunity against region of difference 1 antigensPriscille Brodin
Unités de Génétique Moléculaire Bactérienne, INSERM E0352, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
J Infect Dis 190:115-22. 2004..microti alone or with BCG. The M. microti OV254::RD1-2F9 vaccine was less virulent and persistent in mice and than was BCG::RD1-2F9 may represent a safer alternative to BCG::RD1-2F9...
- Protective effect of a tuberculosis subunit vaccine based on a fusion of antigen 85B and ESAT-6 in the aerosol guinea pig modelAnja W Olsen
Department of Infectious Disease Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark
Infect Immun 72:6148-50. 2004..The protection was manifested as delayed clinical illness and prolonged survival. Neither Ag85B nor ESAT-6 (independently or as a cocktail) induced significant protection in this model...
- Protective immunity to tuberculosis with Ag85B-ESAT-6 in a synthetic cationic adjuvant system IC31Else Marie Agger
Department of Infectious Disease Immunology, Statens Serum Institut, Adjuvant Research, 5 Artillerivej, DK 2300 Copenhagen S, Denmark
Vaccine 24:5452-60. 2006..Furthermore, the combination of Ag85B-ESAT-6/IC31 was found to confer efficient protection in the guinea pig aerosol model of tuberculosis infection and is at present moving towards clinical testing...
- The live Mycobacterium tuberculosis phoP mutant strain is more attenuated than BCG and confers protective immunity against tuberculosis in mice and guinea pigsCarlos Martin
Grupo de Genética de Micobacterias, Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain
Vaccine 24:3408-19. 2006..A high dose aerosol challenge of M. tuberculosis SO2 vaccinated guinea pigs resulted in superior levels of protection when compared with BCG vaccination, as measured by guinea pig survival and reduction in disease severity in the lung...
- Vaccination of guinea pigs with DNA encoding the mycobacterial antigen MPB83 influences pulmonary pathology but not hematogenous spread following aerogenic infection with Mycobacterium bovisMark A Chambers
TB Research Group, Department of Bacterial Diseases, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey, KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 70:2159-65. 2002..In contrast, vaccination with antigen 85A DNA, a promising DNA vaccine for human tuberculosis, had no measurable protective effect against infection with M. bovis...
- Role of IgA in the defense against respiratory infections IgA deficient mice exhibited increased susceptibility to intranasal infection with Mycobacterium bovis BCGAriane Rodriguez
Department of Immunology, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Vaccine 23:2565-72. 2005..Altogether, our results suggest that IgA may play a role in protection against mycobacterial infections in the respiratory tract by blocking the pathogen entrance and/or by modulating the pro-inflammatory responses...
- Characterization of lung gamma delta T cells following intranasal infection with Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-GuérinFrancesco Dieli
Department of Biopathology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
J Immunol 170:463-9. 2003....
- Mucosal immunotherapy of tuberculosis: is there a value in passive IgA?Rajko Reljic
Mucosal Biology Research Group, Guy s Hospital Campus of King s College London, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 86:179-90. 2006....