- A Model of Free Tissue Transfer: The Rat Epigastric Free FlapDiogo Casal
Anatomy Department, NOVA Medical School, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa CEDOC, NOVA Medical School, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
J Vis Exp . 2017..The flap can be evaluated whenever needed by visual inspection. Hence, the authors believe this is a good experimental model for microsurgical research and training...
- A stab wound to the axilla illustrating the importance of brachial plexus anatomy in an emergency context: a case reportDiogo Casal
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department and Burn Unit, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central, Lisbon, Portugal
J Med Case Rep 11:6. 2017..We present a case report of a brachial plexus injury in which the urgency of the situation precluded the use of any ancillary diagnostic examinations and forced a rapid clinical assessment...
- Defying standard criteria for digital replantation: A case seriesDiogo Casal
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Burn Unit, Sao Jose Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal Lisbon Medical Sciences Faculty, Portugal Electronic address
Int J Surg Case Rep 4:597-602. 2013..There is much controversy regarding the current indications and contraindications for digital replantation...
- A rare variant of the ulnar artery with important clinical implications: a case reportDiogo Casal
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medical Sciences, New University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
BMC Res Notes 5:660. 2012..Variations in the major arteries of the upper limb are estimated to be present in up to one fifth of people, and may have significant clinical implications...
- Abdominoplasty and thoraco-epigastric flaps for large anterior trunk defects after dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans wide resection: Two illustrative casesDiogo Casal
Sao Jose Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal Electronic address
Int J Surg Case Rep 4:134-8. 2013..Excision of large dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans in the anterior aspect of the trunk often results in large surgical defects that frequently dictate the need for microsurgical reconstruction. However, this option is not always available...
- A posterior interosseous nerve syndrome associated with spontaneous rupture of the extensor pollicis longus tendonDiogo Casal
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Sao Jose Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
Acta Reumatol Port 35:85-9. 2010..The nerve was freed, and the tendon of the extensor index proprius was transferred to the extensor pollicis longus. Six months after the procedure, the patient had resumed her daily activities, showing a good functional result...
- A non-recurrent inferior laryngeal nerve in a man undergoing thyroidectomy: a case reportDiogo Casal
Head and Neck Surgery Department, Instituto Português de Oncologia de Lisboa, R, Prof, Lima Basto, 1099 023 Lisbon, Portugal
J Med Case Rep 4:386. 2010..We graphically describe the intraoperative identification of a non-recurrent inferior laryngeal nerve...
- Paresthesia and hypesthesia in the dorsum of the foot as the presenting complaints of a ganglion cyst of the footDiogo Casal
Anatomy Department, New University of Lisbon Medical School, Lisbon, Portugal
Clin Anat 23:606-10. 2010..As far as the authors know, the simultaneous compression of the medial branch of the deep fibular nerve and of the medial dorsal cutaneous nerve in the dorsum of the foot by a ganglion cyst has not been described before...
- Sciatic nerve high division: two different anatomical variantsDiogo Pais
Anatomy Department, Medical Sciences Faculty, New University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Acta Med Port 26:208-11. 2013..Sciatic nerve variations are relatively common. These variations are often very significant in several fields of Medicine. The purpose of this paper is to present two such variants and discuss their clinical implications...
- Prostatic arterial supply: anatomic and imaging findings relevant for selective arterial embolizationTiago Bilhim
Department of Anatomy, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas FCM, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
J Vasc Interv Radiol 23:1403-15. 2012....
- Brachial plexus morphology and vascular supply in the wistar ratMaria Angélica-Almeida
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department and Burn Unit, Sao Jose Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
Acta Med Port 26:243-50. 2013..The rat is probably the animal species most widely used in experimental studies on nerve repair. The aim of this work was to contribute to a better understanding of the morphology and blood supply of the rat brachial plexus...
- An unusual variety of the extensor digiti muscles: report with notes on repetition strain injuriesMaria Alexandre Bettencourt Pires
Departamento de Anatomia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
Acta Med Port 26:278-83. 2013..In this sense, we reviewed the oldest anatomical descriptions, from the 16th century to the present date. ..
- Prostatic arterial supply: demonstration by multirow detector angio CT and catheter angiographyTiago Bilhim
Departamento Universitário de Anatomia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Eur Radiol 21:1119-26. 2011..To evaluate the prostatic arterial supply with multidetector Angio CT and Digital Subtraction Angiography (DSA)...
- Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Unconventional Perfusion Flaps in Clinical PracticeDiogo Casal
Lisbon, Portugal From the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department and Burn Unit, Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central the Anatomy Department, the Centre for Chronic Diseases, and Global Health and Tropical Medicine, NOVA Medical School, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas the Department of Life Sciences, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, da Universidade Nova de Lisboa and the Head and Neck Surgery Department, Lisbon Delegation of the Portuguese Institute of Oncology
Plast Reconstr Surg 138:459-79. 2016..Although unconventional perfusion flaps have been in clinical use since 1975, many surgeons are still deterred from using them, because of some reports of high necrosis rates...
- Outcomes and satisfaction of two optional cadaveric dissection courses: A 3-year prospective studyDiogo Pais
Department of Anatomy, NOVA Medical School, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Anat Sci Educ . 2016..Anat Sci Educ. © 2016 American Association of Anatomists...
- The self-inflicted burns-Typology and its prognostic relevance in a 14-year review of self-inflicted burns in a tertiary referral centrePaula Moniz
Burn Unit and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department, Sao Jose Hospital, Rua José António Serrano, 1150 199 Lisbon, Portugal
Burns 37:322-7. 2011..4%), and, finally the "reactive" type (25.0%). Mortality was significantly higher in the "typical" subgroup. In conclusion, the SIB-Typology Tool appears to be a valuable instrument in the clinical management of SIB patients...
- Branching patterns of the male internal iliac artery: imaging findingsTiago Bilhim
Departamento de Anatomia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Surg Radiol Anat 33:151-9. 2011..Non-invasive vascular imaging with angio MR or angio CT is essential before invasive interventions, allowing better planning of the procedure...
- A 63-year-old woman presenting with a synovial sarcoma of the hand: a case reportDiogo Casal
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Senior Consultant, Sao Jose Hospital, Lisbon, Portugal
J Med Case Rep 6:385. 2012....
- Reconstruction of large defect of foot with extensive bone loss exclusively using a latissimus dorsi muscle free flap: a potential new indication for this flapManuel Macemino Gomez
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, São Bernardo Hospital, Setubal, Portugal
J Foot Ankle Surg 51:215-7. 2012..This option could avoid the morbidity and inconvenience of a second surgery and the need to harvest a bone flap or graft...