J C Smith
Affiliation: Cardiff University
- The effects of induced hypogonadism on arterial stiffness, body composition, and metabolic parameters in males with prostate cancerJ C Smith
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom CF14 4XW
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4261-7. 2001..Adverse body compositional changes associated with rising insulin concentrations suggest reduced insulin sensitivity. These adverse hemodynamic and metabolic effects may increase cardiovascular risk in this patient group...
- Impaired vasoreactivity in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroidsH A Lane
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, Wales, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 36:483-8. 2006..While the cardiovascular implications of supraphysiological androgen levels requires further clarification, use is associated with sudden death, left ventricular hypertrophy, thrombo-embolism and cerebro-vascular events...
- Endothelial function and coagulant factors in growth hormone-treated hypopituitary adults receiving desmopressinJ C Smith
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2152-6. 2003..Intranasal DDAVP does not appear to influence this proatherogenic profile in hypopituitary adults with vasopressin deficiency...
- The effects of depot long-acting somatostatin analog on central aortic pressure and arterial stiffness in acromegalyJ C Smith
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, CF4 4XN, Wales, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2556-61. 2003..Large artery stiffness is reduced in cured acromegaly and partially reversed after pharmacological treatment of active disease...
- Effects of insulin lispro and chronic vitamin C therapy on postprandial lipaemia, oxidative stress and endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusM Evans
Cardiovascular Sciences Research Group, Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Heath Park, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 33:231-8. 2003..2 Iu kg-1) and vitamin C 1-g daily. Eight-h lipid and glucose profiles were measured following a fatty meal. Endothelial function (flow-mediated vasodilatation: FMD) and OS were measured at fasting, 4 h and 8 h...
- Bilateral adrenal enlargement and non-suppressible hypercortisolism as a presenting feature of gastric cancerM Biswas
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 41:494-7. 2004..We believe that this scenario will occur with greater frequency in the future, given the increasing early use of sophisticated high-resolution imaging for the evaluation of suspected intra-abdominal pathology...