Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Cardiff University
- Production and regulation of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors by human peritoneal mesothelial cellsJ Martin
Institute of Nephrology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Perit Dial Int 20:524-33. 2000....
- Induction of metalloproteinases by glomerular mesangial cells stimulated by proteins of the extracellular matrixJ Martin
Institute of Nephrology, The University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
J Am Soc Nephrol 12:88-96. 2001..The results demonstrate that specific matrix components increased the secretion of MMP2 and MMP9 from HMC. In addition, MT-MMP activity, selectively induced by fibronectin, was implicated in the activation of the secreted proteinases...
- The role of ADAM 15 in glomerular mesangial cell migrationJohn Martin
Institute of Nephrology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XN, Wales, UK
J Biol Chem 277:33683-9. 2002..Activity was inhibited by EDTA but not by phenylmethylsulfonyl fluoride. This is the first report of the potential of ADAM 15 for involvement in the restructuring of the mesangial matrix and in the migration of MC in disease...
- The pluripotent cytokine pleiotrophin is induced by wounding in human mesangial cellsJ Martin
Institute of Nephrology, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Kidney Int 70:1616-22. 2006..This is the first description of the expression of PTN by human MCs and the data suggest that it is rapidly induced in cells that are triggered to migrate. The result of this induction is currently under investigation...
- Identification and analysis of the human hyaluronan synthase 1 gene promoter reveals Smad3- and Sp3-mediated transcriptional inductionLong Chen
Section of Nephrology, Matrix Biology Research Group, Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Matrix Biol 31:373-9. 2012..Using siRNAs to knockdown transcription factor mRNAs, we showed that TGF-β1 up-regulation of HAS1 transcription was mediated via Smad3 but not Smad2, while HAS1 induction by IL-1β was Sp3, not Sp1, dependent...
- Post-transcriptional regulation of Transforming Growth Factor Beta-1 by microRNA-744John Martin
School of Medicine, Institute of Nephrology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e25044. 2011..This work identifies miR-744-directed post-transcriptional regulation of TGF-β1 which, given the pleiotropic nature of cellular responses to TGF-β1, is potentially widely significant...
- Interleukin-1β induces hyaluronan and CD44-dependent cell protrusions that facilitate fibroblast-monocyte bindingSoma Meran
Institute of Nephrology, Cardiff University, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 182:2223-40. 2013..In summary, these data suggest that IL-1β-dependent HA generation plays a role in fibroblast immune activation, leading to sequestration of monocytes within inflamed tissue and providing a possible mechanism for perpetual inflammation...
- The human hyaluronan synthase 2 (HAS2) gene and its natural antisense RNA exhibit coordinated expression in the renal proximal tubular epithelial cellDaryn R Michael
Institute of Nephrology, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
J Biol Chem 286:19523-32. 2011....
- Pleiotropy of microRNA-192 in the kidneyRobert H Jenkins
Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Cardiff University School of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 40:762-7. 2012..We describe miR-192-driven anti-and pro-fibrotic effects via the repression of ZEB1 and ZEB2 (zinc finger E-box-binding homeobox proteins 1 and 2), resulting in changes in extracellular matrix deposition and cell differentiation...
- Hyaluronan facilitates transforming growth factor-β1-dependent proliferation via CD44 and epidermal growth factor receptor interactionSoma Meran
Institute of Nephrology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:17618-30. 2011..In summary, HA facilitates TGF-β1-dependent fibroblast proliferation through promoting interaction between CD44 and EGFR, which then promotes specific MAPK/ERK activation, inducing cellular proliferation...
- Hyaluronan facilitates transforming growth factor-beta1-mediated fibroblast proliferationSoma Meran
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair, Cardiff University Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
J Biol Chem 283:6530-45. 2008..TGF-beta(1) regulates proliferation through Smad3 signaling in both fibroblast populations; however, it is the levels of HA generated by the cells that influence the outcome of this response...
- Transforming growth factor β1 represses proximal tubular cell microRNA-192 expression through decreased hepatocyte nuclear factor DNA bindingRobert H Jenkins
Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Biochem J 443:407-16. 2012....
- Tumor Necrosis Factor-stimulated Gene 6 (TSG-6)-mediated Interactions with the Inter-α-inhibitor Heavy Chain 5 Facilitate Tumor Growth Factor β1 (TGFβ1)-dependent Fibroblast to Myofibroblast DifferentiationJohn Martin
From the Department of Nephrology, Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Cardiff University School of Medicine and Cardiff Institute of Tissue Engineering and Repair, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 291:13789-801. 2016..The interaction of HC5 with cell surface HA was essential for TGFβ1-dependent differentiation of fibroblasts to myofibroblasts, highlighting its importance as a novel potential therapeutic target...
- Characterisation of the human ADAM15 promoterHassan Khammas
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Nephron Exp Nephrol 118:e27-38. 2011..The current study was designed to identify and analyse the genomic regions upstream of ADAM15 that would regulate its transcription...
- Involvement of hyaluronan in regulation of fibroblast phenotypeSoma Meran
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, and Department of Oral Surgery, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 282:25687-97. 2007..Moreover, HA pericellular coat assembly, rather than HAS isoform expression, appears to be associated with phenotypic differentiation...
- Glucose modulates handling of apoptotic cells by mesangial cells: involvement of TGF-beta1Tarnjit K Khera
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
Lab Invest 87:690-701. 2007..Furthermore phagocytosis, which involves the thrombospondin-1 pathway, is uncoupled from binding of apoptotic cells, which stimulated TGF-beta1 synthesis...
- A conserved stem loop motif in the 5'untranslated region regulates transforming growth factor-β(1) translationRobert H Jenkins
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e12283. 2010..These data identify a highly conserved element within the TGF-β(1) 5'UTR that forms stable secondary structure, and is responsible for the inherent low translation efficiency of this cytokine...
- Identification and analysis of the promoter region of the human hyaluronan synthase 2 geneJamie Monslow
Institute of Nephrology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, UK
J Biol Chem 279:20576-81. 2004....
- Lipoprotein lipase is expressed by glomerular mesangial cellsScott A Irvine
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 38:12-6. 2006..The minimal lipoprotein lipase gene promoter was active in mesangial cells and inhibited by interferon-gamma, which is known to suppress its expression...
- Glucose enhances mesangial cell apoptosisTarnjit Khera
Institute of Nephrology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Lab Invest 86:566-77. 2006..Furthermore, it is likely that this is dependent on glucose-mediated enhanced sensitivity to endogenous TGF-beta1 rather than glucose stimulated de novo TGF-beta1 synthesis...
- Monocyte adhesion to mesangial matrix modulates cytokine and metalloproteinase productionRavinder S Chana
Department of Nephrology, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 63:889-98. 2003..Mesangial matrix contains several potential monocyte-binding domains that may contribute to monocyte entrapment and modulate cell activation...
- 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-induced dual-specificity phosphatase expression and AML cell survivalDale G Schaar
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey UMDNJ, NJ, USA
Leuk Res 29:1171-9. 2005..Therefore, TPA-induced primary AML cytotoxicity is associated with modulation of ERK signaling which may be partially mediated by regulation of phosphatase expression...
- Divergent evolution of arrested development in the dauer stage of Caenorhabditis elegans and the infective stage of Heterodera glycinesAxel A Elling
Interdepartmental Genetics Program, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Genome Biol 8:R211. 2007..A comprehensive analysis of large-scale gene expression changes throughout the development of plant-parasitic nematodes has been lacking to date...