Anthony J Barron
- Oxygen Uptake Efficiency Slope and Breathing Reserve, Not Anaerobic Threshold, Discriminate Between Patients With Cardiovascular Disease Over Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary DiseaseAnthony Barron
International Centre for Circulatory Health, Imperial College London and Imperial College NHS Trust, London, England Electronic address
JACC Heart Fail 4:252-61. 2016..The study sought to compare the relative discrimination of various cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPX) variables between cardiac and respiratory disease...
- Long-term antihypertensive treatment fails to improve E/e' despite regression of left ventricular mass: an Anglo-Scandinavian cardiac outcomes trial substudyAnthony J Barron
Imperial College London, 59 North Wharf Rd, London W2 1LA, United Kingdom
Hypertension 63:252-8. 2014..This may be a factor contributing to the previously described worse clinical outcome in patients treated with atenolol±bendroflumethiazide compared with amlodipine±perindopril. ..
- Systematic review of genuine versus spurious side-effects of beta-blockers in heart failure using placebo control: recommendations for patient informationAnthony J Barron
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, UK St Mary s Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, UK Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:3572-9. 2013..We present information for a physician advising a patient experiencing an unwanted symptom and suspecting the drug...
- The role for cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with atrial septal defects: a reviewAnthony J Barron
International Centre for Circulatory Health, Imperial College London and Imperial College NHS Trust, UK
Int J Cardiol 161:68-72. 2012..This review will look at the current evidence of cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET) in ASD closure...
- Reduced confounding by impaired ventilatory function with oxygen uptake efficiency slope and VE/VCO2 slope rather than peak oxygen consumption to assess exercise physiology in suspected heart failureAnthony J Barron
International Centre for Circulatory Health, Imperial College London and Imperial College NHS Trust, London, UK
Congest Heart Fail 16:259-64. 2010..OUES in contrast does not show this preferential sensitivity to impaired FEV(1)...
- The effect of duration of follow-up and presence of competing risk on lifespan-gain from implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy: who benefits the most?Claire E Raphael
International Centre for Circulatory Health, National Heart Lung Institute, Imperial College, St Mary s Hospital, London W2 1LA, UK
Eur Heart J 36:1676-88. 2015..Trial data have demonstrated the benefit of these devices but does not provide an estimate of potential lifespan-gain over longer time periods, e.g. a patient's lifespan...
- "Triple therapy" of heart failure with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor, beta-blocker, and aldosterone antagonist may triple survival time: shouldn't we tell patients?Graham D Cole
International Centre for Circulatory Health, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, United Kingdom Electronic address
JACC Heart Fail 2:545-8. 2014..We calculate from the available RCT data that, for patients whose lifespan is limited by heart failure, triple therapy triples lifespan. ..
- What proportion of symptomatic side effects in patients taking statins are genuinely caused by the drug? Systematic review of randomized placebo-controlled trials to aid individual patient choiceJudith A Finegold
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London, UK
Eur J Prev Cardiol 21:464-74. 2014..We test this assumption and calculate an evidence-based estimate of the probability of a symptom being genuinely attributable to the statin itself...
- First-in-man safety evaluation of renal denervation for chronic systolic heart failure: primary outcome from REACH-Pilot studyJustin E Davies
National Heart and Lung Institute, International Centre for Circulatory Health, Imperial College London and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Cardiol 162:189-92. 2013..This pilot study evaluated the safety of renal denervation for heart failure using an intensive follow-up protocol...