J Kenneth Baillie
- Activated protein C: controversy and hope in the treatment of sepsisJ Kenneth Baillie
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Edinburgh, UK
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 8:933-8. 2007..This review summarizes the many diverse actions of APC and relates these to current evidence regarding the pathophysiology of sepsis...
- The mechanism of action of gabapentin in neuropathic painJ Kenneth Baillie
Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Street, Edinburgh EH16 4SA, UK
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 7:33-9. 2006..This review discusses the available evidence for the postulated mechanisms of action of gabapentin. Understanding the mechanism of action of this agent may well lead to the development of safer and more effective antineuropathic drugs...
- Endogenous urate production augments plasma antioxidant capacity in healthy lowland subjects exposed to high altitudeJ Kenneth Baillie
Apex Altitude Physiology Expeditions, c o College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, UK
Chest 131:1473-8. 2007..Production of urate, a potent soluble antioxidant, is increased in hypoxic conditions. We aimed to determine whether urate is an important antioxidant defense in healthy subjects exposed to hypoxia...
- Incidence and predictors of acute mountain sickness among trekkers on Mount KilimanjaroStewart J Jackson
University of Edinburgh, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
High Alt Med Biol 11:217-22. 2010..There is a need to increase public awareness of the risks of altitude sickness and we advocate a pragmatic "golden rules" approach (http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php)...
- Change in plasma vascular endothelial growth factor during onset and recovery from acute mountain sicknessDavid A Dorward
Apex Altitude Physiology Expeditions, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, UK
Respir Med 101:587-94. 2007..We provide novel data of change in plasma VEGF levels during acclimatisation to high altitude, but our results do not support the hypothesis that circulating unbound VEGF is an important component of the pathogenesis of AMS...
- Morphine, gabapentin, or their combination for neuropathic painJ Kenneth Baillie
N Engl J Med 352:2650-1; author reply 2650-1. 2005
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase polymorphisms do not influence pulmonary artery systolic pressure at altitudeEve M D Smith
Western Infirmary, 56 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, Scotland
High Alt Med Biol 7:221-7. 2006..We found no association of Glu298Asp and 27-bp VNTR polymorphisms in the eNOS gene with PASP in a population of healthy trekkers at low or high altitude...
- Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors in the treatment and prevention of high altitude pulmonary edemaMatthew G D Bates
Department of Cardiology, Freeman Hospital, High Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7DN UK
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 8:226-31. 2007..Although this class of drugs shows promise in high altitude medicine, further research is necessary to determine the efficacy and safety of PDE5 inhibitors as a treatment for established..