Fiona J Cooke
Affiliation: Addenbrooke's Hospital
- First report of human infection with Salmonella enterica serovar Apapa resulting from exposure to a pet lizardFiona J Cooke
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 47:2672-4. 2009..The isolates were identical by biochemical profiling and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. This rare serotype is known to be associated with reptiles. The current practice for avoiding reptile-associated infections is reviewed...
- Report of neonatal meningitis due to Salmonella enterica serotype Agona and review of breast milk-associated neonatal Salmonella infectionsFiona J Cooke
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QW, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 47:3045-9. 2009..S. enterica serotype Agona was isolated concurrently from infant cerebrospinal fluid and parental fecal samples, and Salmonella was isolated from breast milk. The role of breast milk in transmission of Salmonella enterica is discussed...
- Clinical, molecular and epidemiological description of a cluster of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from injecting drug users with bacteraemiaF J Cooke
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Cambridge, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:921-6. 2010..This paper presents a detailed description of the clinical, microbiological and epidemiological features of a series of CA-MRSA bacteraemias in IDUs in the UK...
- Ten years experience of Salmonella infections in Cambridge, UKNicholas Matheson
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Box 236, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB20QW, UK
J Infect 60:21-5. 2010..Review of all Salmonella infections diagnosed in the Cambridge area over 10 years...
- Characterization of the genomes of a diverse collection of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium definitive phage type 104Fiona J Cooke
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 190:8155-62. 2008..Thus, here the nature of variation in different Salmonella serovar Typhimurium DT104 isolates is further defined at the gene and whole-genome levels, illustrating how this phage type evolves over time...
- Fever, a blue hand, and abducens nerve paralysis in a returning travelerEffrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas
Addenbrooke s Hospital, University of Cambridge Teaching Hospital NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
J Travel Med 16:57-9. 2009..We present an extraordinary case of typhoid fever, manifesting as hand cyanosis as well as abducens nerve paresis, all of which promptly resolved with antibiotics...
- Variation in Salmonella enterica serovar typhi IncHI1 plasmids during the global spread of resistant typhoid feverMinh Duy Phan
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:716-27. 2009..We propose that antibiotic selection acts to maintain resistance genes on the plasmid, but there is also competition between plasmids encoding the same resistance phenotype...
- First report of Salmonella enterica serotype paratyphi A azithromycin resistance leading to treatment failureAoife Molloy
Department of Infectious Diseases, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 48:4655-7. 2010..Resistance to fluoroquinolones is common and leads to more frequent use of newer agents like azithromycin. We report the first case of azithromycin resistance and treatment failure in a patient with S. Paratyphi A infection...
- Community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionsFiona J Cooke
Clinical Microbiology and Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 0QW, UK
Br Med Bull 94:215-27. 2010..Reasons why USA300 remains relatively uncommon in Europe are unclear. Topics timely for research include the investigation of the epidemiology of infections and evolutionary genomics...
- Patient and public understanding and knowledge of antimicrobial resistance and stewardship in a UK hospital: should public campaigns change focus?Christianne Micallef
Pharmacy Department, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Addenbrooke s Hospital Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK NIHR Health Protection Research Unit in Healthcare Associated Infection and Antimicrobial Resistance, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, London W12 0NN, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother . 2016..Employing effective and innovative antimicrobial stewardship strategies is an essential approach to combat this public health threat. Education of the public and patients is paramount to enable the success of such strategies...
- Cases of typhoid fever imported into England, Scotland and Wales (2000-2003)Fiona J Cooke
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:398-404. 2007..This study helps to describe the epidemiology of antimicrobial drug resistance in typhoid fever...