- "Pseudosarcoma" in a pregnant woman
Royal Free and University College London Hospitals, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Bone Tumour Unit, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 4L, UK
World J Surg Oncol 5:7. 2007
..A thorough review of the literature revealed 26 reported cases of IVF...
- Intraoperative anaphylaxis due to gelofusine in a patient undergoing intramedullary nailing of the femur: a case report
Academic Orthopaedic Unit, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds School of Medicine, Leeds, LS1 3EX, UK
Cases J 2:12. 2009
- The management of periprosthetic femoral fractures around hip replacements
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, UK
Injury 34:95-105. 2003
..These patients are at greatest risk of developing femoral periprosthetic fractures...
- Dall-Miles plates for periprosthetic femoral fractures. A critical review of 16 cases
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, London, UK
Injury 34:107-10. 2003
..The Dall-Miles plates and cable system alone is insufficient for the treatment for periprosthetic femoral fractures. It must be supplemented with additional intramedullary or extramedullary fixation...
- Extended trochanteric osteotomy followed by cemented impaction allografting in revision hip arthroplasty
Hip Unit, Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road, Exeter, EX2 5DW, United Kingdom
J Arthroplasty 28:154-60. 2013
..The difference between the preoperative and postoperative clinical scores was statistically significant. No nonunion of the ETO was observed in any case. These results give support to the combined use of these techniques...
- Impaction allografting revision for B3 periprosthetic femoral fractures using a Mennen plate to contain the graft: a technical report
Hip Research Unit Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, United Kingdom
Acta Orthop Belg 73:332-8. 2007
..The Mennen plate can aid to contain the impacted allograft and to maintain fracture reduction and short term stability thereafter, but the long stem is necessary for long-term stability and healing...
- Dynamic compression plates for Vancouver type B periprosthetic femoral fractures: a 3-year follow-up of 18 cases
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Whittington Hospital, Highgate Hill, London, UK
Acta Orthop 76:531-7. 2005
..There is no consensus on the best surgical treatment of periprosthetic femoral fractures. We report our experience with a dynamic compression plate...
- Intramedullary strut substitution and impaction allografting cemented revision for the treatment of a periprosthetic fracture in a severely compromised femur
Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital NHS Trust, Exeter, United Kingdom
J Arthroplasty 22:277-82. 2007
- Mal-united femoral fractures adjacent to loose total hip arthroplasties. Salvage with impaction grafting. A case report
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Devon, Exeter, UK
Injury 33:81-3. 2002
- Posterior longitudinal split osteotomy for femoral component extraction in revision total hip arthroplasty
Adrian John Bauze
Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Exeter, Devon, UK
J Arthroplasty 23:86-9. 2008
..With appropriate patient selection, this is a simple, reliable, and extensile technique to assist in the extraction of uncemented ongrowth femoral components whether hydroxyapatite-coated or not...
- Cement-in-cement stem revision for Vancouver type B periprosthetic femoral fractures after total hip arthroplasty. A 3-year follow-up of 23 cases
Toby W Briant-Evans
Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, UK
Acta Orthop 80:548-52. 2009
..This technique is well established in femoral stem revision, but not in association with a fracture...
- Percutaneous plate fixation for periprosthetic femoral fractures--a preliminary report
Injury 33:845. 2002
- The use of long cemented stems for femoral impaction grafting in revision total hip arthroplasty
Rafael J Sierra
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street S W, North 14, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1330-6. 2008
..We hypothesized that the use of a long-stem femoral component would decrease the risk of these fractures...
- Principles of internal fixation and selection of implants for periprosthetic femoral fractures
Peter V Giannoudis
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Academic Unit, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, Clarendon Wing, Leeds General Infirmary, Great George Street, Leeds, United Kingdom
Injury 38:669-87. 2007
..The current study reviews the existing literature on internal fixation of femoral periprosthetic fractures...
- Grafting for periprosthetic femoral fractures: strut, impaction or femoral replacement
Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
Injury 38:688-97. 2007
..We here present an overview of the literature on the use of available bone grafts in the treatment of periprosthetic femoral fractures...
- The Mennen femoral plate for fixation of periprosthetic femoral fractures following hip arthroplasty [Injury 33 (2002) 47-50]
Injury 34:799. 2003
- Revision total elbow arthroplasty with impaction allografting and uncemented partially hydroxyapatite-coated custom-made prostheses
Upper Limb Unit, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, United Kingdom
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 33:393-6. 2004
..They were all treated using the impaction allografting technique and uncemented custom-made semiconstrained prostheses partially coated with hydroxyapatite manufactured at the bioengineering department of our institution...
- Enhancement of fracture healing with parathyroid hormone: preclinical studies and potential clinical applications
University of Leeds, Academic Unit, Clarendon Wing, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Great George Street, Leeds, UK
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 16:441-9. 2007
..However, it is not prognostic of an equivalent risk potential of carcinogenesis in humans. In summary, the clinical promise of parathyroid hormone is very high and a positive effect in fracture healing should be anticipated...
- Bone substitutes: an update
Peter V Giannoudis
Academic Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Injury 36:S20-7. 2005
..We present here an overview of bone grafts and graft substitutes available for clinical applications...
- Current concepts of molecular aspects of bone healing
Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, St James s University Hospital, Backett Street, LS9 7TF, UK
Injury 36:1392-404. 2005
- Gene therapy in orthopaedics
Peter V Giannoudis
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Injury 37:S30-40. 2006
..These developments have the potential to transform many areas of musculoskeletal care, leading to treatments that are less invasive, more effective and less expensive than existing modalities...
- The effect of anticoagulant pharmacotherapy on fracture healing
Trauma and Orthopaedics University of Leeds, School of Medicine, Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Clarendon Wing A, Leeds General Infirmary Teaching Hospital NHS Trust, Great George Street, Leeds, LS1 3EX, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:1169-87. 2008
..However, there are only a few heterogeneous in vivo animal studies confirming this and the mechanisms are not fully understood...
- Transcriptomics and proteomics: advancing the understanding of genetic basis of fracture healing
Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, and St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Injury 37:S13-9. 2006
..We here review the current knowledge on early and late gene expression during fracture healing, the genes so far associated with osteoblast and osteoclast differentiation, the BMP antagonists, and the Wnts signalling pathway...
- Mennen plate fixation for the treatment of periprosthetic femoral fractures
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1851; author reply 1851. 2003
- In vitro and in vivo optimization of impaction allografting by demineralization and addition of rh-OP-1
Biomaterials and Biomimetics Group, King s College London, University of London, Guy s Hospital, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
J Orthop Res 25:1425-37. 2007
..01) and DBM alone (p = 0.02) in vivo. We propose that partial demineralization and addition of OP-1 provides a good method for improving the osteoinductive properties of fresh allograft currently used in the impaction grafting technique...
- Effects of OP-1 and PTH in a new experimental model for the study of metaphyseal bone healing
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston University Medical Center, Laboratory of Orthopaedic Research, 715 Albany Street, R 205, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Orthop Res 25:1193-203. 2007
..In addition, differences in systemic versus local effects of PTH and OP-1 in accelerating metaphyseal fracture healing were found...
- Periprosthetic femoral fractures: current aspects of management
Injury 38:649-50. 2007
- The role of inhibitory molecules in fracture healing
Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Leeds, United Kingdom
Injury 37:S20-9. 2006
- Molecular aspects of fracture healing: which are the important molecules?
Academic Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, UK
Injury 38:S11-25. 2007
- Through-the-nail technique
Whittington Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Acta Orthop Belg 71:223-6. 2005
..Instead, three cancellous lag-screws were inserted to fix the fracture in a triangular fashion. Two screws placed posteriorly behind the nail, and one anterior screw through the nail...