- Taste perception with age: generic or specific losses in supra-threshold intensities of five taste qualities?
Unilever Research Vlaardingen, 3133 AT Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Chem Senses 28:397-413. 2003
..This study indicates that the relevance of determining intensities of tastants dissolved in water for the 'real life' perception of taste in complex food is rather limited...
- Effect of concentration on taste-taste interactions in foods for elderly and young subjects
Unilever Research and Development Vlaardingen, Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Chem Senses 29:671-81. 2004
..The elderly are less able to discriminate between the taste qualities in a product, whereas the young are more able to do so...
- Do tastants have a smell?
Agrotechnology and Food Innovations, Bornsesteeg 59, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Chem Senses 30:9-21. 2005
..We suggest that most tastants can be smelled and that this smell contributes to taste intensity ratings...
- Taste perception with age: generic or specific losses in threshold sensitivity to the five basic tastes?
Unilever Research Vlaardingen, 3133 AT Vlaardingen
Chem Senses 26:845-60. 2001
..32 (aspartame) to 5.70 times (IMP) higher concentration than the younger subjects. A significant decline in thresholds with replication was shown. The age effect found could be attributed predominantly to a generic taste loss...
- Compensation for age-associated chemosensory losses and its effect on the pleasantness of a custard dessert and a tomato drink
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, P O Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appetite 48:96-103. 2007
..The present study does not support the assumption that age-associated impairment in olfactory capability will inevitably lead to changes in food liking...
- Incidental and intentional flavor memory in young and older subjects
Food Science Department, University of Copenhagen, Rolighedsvej 30, 1958 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Chem Senses 32:557-67. 2007
..Like memory for taste and texture, flavor memory seems to be mainly tuned at detecting changes and based on "feelings of not knowing" rather than on precise identification and recognition of previously encountered stimuli...
- Electro-olfactograms are present when odorous stimuli have not been perceived
Smell and Taste Clinic, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Dresden Medical School, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Neurosci Lett 397:224-8. 2006
..All in all, the present data provide a physiological basis for the subliminal influence of odorous stimuli on human behavior...
- Food perception with age and its relationship to pleasantness
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, PO Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Chem Senses 32:591-602. 2007
..The present study does not support the assumption that age-associated changes in food perception-caused by losses in sensory acuity-inevitably reduce the food liking of the elderly...