M P Witter
Affiliation: Vrije Universiteit
Country: The Netherlands
- Anatomical organization of the parahippocampal-hippocampal networkM P Witter
Department of Anatomy, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 911:1-24. 2000..Finally, the terminal organization of the presubicular input to the medial entorhinal cortex indicates that the interactions between the deep and superficial entorhinal layers may be influenced by this input...
- Cortico-hippocampal communication by way of parallel parahippocampal-subicular pathwaysM P Witter
Graduate School Neurosciences Amsterdam, and Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences, Faculty of Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Hippocampus 10:398-410. 2000..This second proposition will be subsequently evaluated on the basis of series of electrophysiological studies we carried out in rats and some preliminary functional brain imaging studies in humans...
- Contacts between medial and lateral perforant pathway fibers and parvalbumin expressing neurons in the subiculum of the ratF G Wouterlood
Graduate School Neurosciences Amsterdam, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, Vrije University Medical Center, Room MF G 136, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 156:653-61. 2008..Thus, the medial and lateral subdivisions of the entorhinal cortex similarly tune the firing of principal neurons in the subiculum by way of parvalbumin positive interneurons in their respective terminal zones...
- Calretinin in the entorhinal cortex of the rat: distribution, morphology, ultrastructure of neurons, and co-localization with gamma-aminobutyric acid and parvalbuminF G Wouterlood
Department of Anatomy, Graduate School of Neurosciences, Research Institute of Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 425:177-92. 2000..The finding of calretinin-immunoreactive axon terminals with asymmetrical synapses suggests that the second class of calretinin neuron is a novel type of a (presumably excitatory) interneuron...
- Parametric fMRI analysis of visual encoding in the human medial temporal lobeS A Rombouts
Department of Clinical Physics and Informatics, Graduate School for Neurosciences Amsterdam, Research Institute Neurosciences, Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Hippocampus 9:637-43. 1999..Further, it strongly supports the notion that the human medial temporal lobe is involved in encoding novel visual information into memory...
- Reciprocal connections between the entorhinal cortex and hippocampal fields CA1 and the subiculum are in register with the projections from CA1 to the subiculumP A Naber
Graduate School for Neurosciences Amsterdam, Department of Anatomy, Research Institute Neurosciences Vrije Universiteit, The Netherlands
Hippocampus 11:99-104. 2001..The present findings are taken to indicate that the EC-hippocampal circuitry functionally comprises many parallel-organized specific "reentry loops."..
- Anterior medial temporal lobe activation during attempted retrieval of encoded visuospatial scenes: an event-related fMRI studyS A Rombouts
Department of Clinical Physics and Informatics, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 14:67-76. 2001..We conclude that the left posterior parahippocampal gyrus responds during encoding, while on the other hand the left anterior parahippocampal gyrus and the right anterior hippocampus were more strongly involved in retrieval...
- Entorhinal projections terminate onto principal neurons and interneurons in the subiculum: a quantitative electron microscopical analysis in the ratL Baks-Te Bulte
Graduate School of Neurosciences Amsterdam, Research Institute Neuroscience, Department of Anatomy, MF G 102C, VU University Medical Center, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 136:729-39. 2005..Only a small percentage of entorhinal fibers in the subiculum appears to be inhibitory, largely influencing interneurons...
- Distinct brain systems underlie the processing of valence and arousal of affective picturesM M A Nielen
Department of Psychiatry, VU University Medical Center Amsterdam, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Cogn 71:387-96. 2009....
- Subicular efferents are organized mostly as parallel projections: a double-labeling, retrograde-tracing study in the ratP A Naber
Institute of Neurosciences, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Comp Neurol 393:284-97. 1998..This characteristic organization is in line with a proposed function of the subiculum in information storage...
- Networks of the hippocampal memory system of the rat. The pivotal role of the subiculumP A Naber
Graduate School Neurosciences Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 911:392-403. 2000..Therefore, we propose that the subiculum occupies a pivotal position in the hippocampal memory system, both as recipient and comparator of signals and as a distributor of processed information...
- Unbiased whole-brain analysis of gray matter loss in Alzheimer's diseaseS A Rombouts
Department of Clinical Physics and Informatics, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurosci Lett 285:231-3. 2000..The exact role of these two structures in the symptomatology of Alzheimer's disease deserves further attention...
- Nonlinear changes in brain activity during continuous word repetition: an event-related multiparametric functional MR imaging studyR E Hagenbeek
Department of Radiology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:1715-21. 2007..Our aim was to identify linear changes in brain activation and, what is more interesting, nonlinear changes in brain activation as a function of extended word repetition...
- Intrinsic connections of the cingulate cortex in the rat suggest the existence of multiple functionally segregated networksB F Jones
Graduate School Neuroscience Amsterdam, Research Institute Neurosciences, Department of Anatomy, VU University Medical Center, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neuroscience 133:193-207. 2005..Through their intricate associational connections, these subregions form functionally segregated networks...
- Interaction of nucleus reuniens and entorhinal cortex projections in hippocampal field CA1 of the ratM J Dolleman-Van der Weel
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, VU University Medical Center, 1081 BT, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brain Struct Funct . 2016....
- The anatomy of memory: an interactive overview of the parahippocampal-hippocampal networkN M Van Strien
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Neurosci 10:272-82. 2009..In this Review, we integrate the existing anatomical knowledge into a concise description of this network and discuss the functional implications of some relatively underexposed connections...