Affiliation: University of Twente
Country: The Netherlands
- A medium throughput device to study the effects of combinations of surface strains and fluid-flow shear stresses on cellsR Sinha
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Lab Chip 15:429-39. 2015..Uniform equibiaxial strains up to 20% and shear stresses up to 0.3 Pa can be generated. Compatibility of the device with cell culture and end point fixation, staining and imaging is shown using C2C12 mouse myoblast cells. ..
- Vascularization in tissue engineeringJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Tissue Regeneration, University of Twente, Drienerlolaan 5, 7522NB Enschede, The Netherlands
Trends Biotechnol 26:434-41. 2008..We will illustrate that combining the efforts of different research lines might be necessary to obtain optimal results in the field...
- The use of endothelial progenitor cells for prevascularized bone tissue engineeringJeroen Rouwkema
Departments of Biomechanical Engineering, Twente University, Enschede, The Netherlands
Tissue Eng Part A 15:2015-27. 2009..The degree of organization, however, was higher. We conclude that EPC can be used for complex tissue engineering applications, but the differentiation stage of these cells is important...
- Sonic Hedgehog-activated engineered blood vessels enhance bone tissue formationNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, 7500AE, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:4413-8. 2012..These findings open the door for new strategies to treat large bone defects by closely mimicking natural endochondral bone repair...
- Tissue deformation spatially modulates VEGF signaling and angiogenesisNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:6886-91. 2012..We suggest that tissue contractility and deformation can induce the formation of gradients of angiogenic microenvironments which could contribute to the long-range patterning of the vascular system...
- Tissue assembly and organization: developmental mechanisms in microfabricated tissuesNicolas C Rivron
Department of Tissue Regeneration, Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Zuidhorst, P O Box 217, Enschede 7500 AE, The Netherlands
Biomaterials 30:4851-8. 2009....
- Spheroid culture as a tool for creating 3D complex tissuesEelco Fennema
Department of Tissue Regeneration, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Trends Biotechnol 31:108-15. 2013..Here, we review new possibilities that combine the strengths of spheroid culture with new microenvironment fabrication methods that allow for the creation of large numbers of highly reproducible, complex tissues...
- Endothelial cells assemble into a 3-dimensional prevascular network in a bone tissue engineering constructJeroen Rouwkema
Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Prof Bronkhorstlaan 10D, Bilthoven 3723MB, The Netherlands
Tissue Eng 12:2685-93. 2006..This finding is a strong indication that in vitro prevascularization is a promising strategy to improve implant vascularization in bone tissue engineering...
- In vitro platforms for tissue engineering: implications for basic research and clinical translationJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
J Tissue Eng Regen Med 5:e164-7. 2011..Here we summarize the current status and future development of in vitro tissue models, based on the findings presented at this symposium...
- Supply of nutrients to cells in engineered tissuesJeroen Rouwkema
Department of Biomechanical Engineering, Institute for Biomedical Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev 26:163-78. 2010..Based on these concepts, the main strategies that have been developed to enhance the supply of nutrients to cells in engineered tissues will be discussed...
- Engineering vascularized skeletal muscle tissueShulamit Levenberg
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Technion 32000, Haifa, Israel
Nat Biotechnol 23:879-84. 2005..Prevascularization improved the vascularization, blood perfusion and survival of the muscle tissue constructs after transplantation...