Genomes and Genes
University Medical Center Utrecht
Organization: University Medical Center Utrecht
Country: The Netherlands
- [The importance of public-private cooperation. Comment on Vandereycken]G F Koerselman
Tijdschr Psychiatr 48:131-3. 2006
- [Increased risk of stroke during the use of olanzapine or risperidone in patients with dementia]R J van Marum
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, divisie Interne Geneeskunde en Dermatologie, Zorgeenheid Geriatrie, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:165-7. 2005..In cases of adverse drug reaction, more openness on the part of pharmaceutical companies is desirable...
- High level of aneuploidy of chromosome 6 by FISH analysis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: limited applicability of LOH analysis to define HLA lossGeert J P A Koene
Department of Pathology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Immunol 65:1455-62. 2004..For immune therapy strategies in cancer patients, knowledge of the HLA expression on tumor cells is essential, to which LOH analysis has a limited contribution...
- Rapid intake of alcohol (binge drinking) inhibits platelet adhesion to fibrinogen under flowDylan W de Lange
Thrombosis and Haemostasis Laboratory, University Medical Center Utrecht and Institute for Biomembranes University Utrecht, The Netherlands
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28:1562-8. 2004..Drinking large amounts in a short period (binge drinking) is associated with increased cardiovascular morbidity. We tested whether rapid consumption of a large dose of alcohol affects platelet aggregation and adhesion...
- Antral follicle counts are related to age at natural fertility loss and age at menopauseFrank J Broekmans
Department of Reproductive Medicine, Division of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Neonatology, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3584 CX, The Netherlands
Menopause 11:607-14. 2004..This may represent differences in actual reproductive age among women. This hypothesis was tested by cohort comparison for distribution of age at occurrence of reproductive events...
- [Treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: proposal for a guideline]P M J Zelissen
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, afd Interne Geneeskunde Endocrinologie, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:2060-6. 2004..This advice is best provided as a multidisciplinary approach. In selected patients pharmacotherapy and in severe obesity bariatric surgery can be a useful addition to basic obesity management...
- NDT competence of nurses caring for patients with strokeThóra B Hafsteinsdottir
Division of Neuroscience at the University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Neurosci Nurs 36:289-94. 2004..This study indicates that nurses working in hospitals where the NDT approach has been implemented have the knowledge and skills to provide NDT nursing...
- The accuracy of trained nurses in pre-operative health assessment: results of the OPEN studyW A Van Klei
Department of Perioperative Care and Emergency Medicine, University Medical Centre Utrecht, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Anaesthesia 59:971-8. 2004....
- Local biosynthesis and metabolism of oestrogens in the human breastJos H H Thijssen
Laboratory of Endocrinology, University Medical Centre Utrecht KE 03 139 2, P O Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Maturitas 49:25-33. 2004..The conclusion is reached that a number of these local processes may be involved in the promotion of premalignant lesions and in stimulation of growth of malignant tumours in the human breast...
- Neuropathological findings in autismSaskia J M C Palmen
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Brain 127:2572-83. 2004....
- Displaced colon: Chilaiditi's signP E Westerweel
Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Intern Med J 34:440. 2004
- Progenitor cells in the kidney: biology and therapeutic perspectivesMaarten B Rookmaaker
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 66:518-22. 2004..Specifically, it will discuss the role of progenitor cells and transdifferentiation in renal repair and maintenance. Finally, the potential clinical implications of these findings will be discussed...
- Detection of circulating Tg-mRNA in the follow-up of papillary and follicular thyroid cancer: how useful is it?F A Verburg
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 91:200-4. 2004..It is concluded that currently Tg-mRNA detection is not a useful tool in the follow-up of differentiated thyroid carcinoma, but that the concept of using RT-PCR measurements during follow-up still warrants further research...
- Do antiangiogenic protein fragments have amyloid properties?Martijn F B G Gebbink
Labortory of Thrombosis and Hemostasis, Department of Hematology, G03 647, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Blood 104:1601-5. 2004..The hypothesis provides new insights in the potential mechanisms of these angiogenesis inhibitors and offers opportunities to improve their use...
- [Bizarre somatic complaints as a manifestation of schizophrenia]I E C Sommer
Afd Stemmingsstoornissen, Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, divisie Hersenen, B01 206, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:217-20. 2005..The patient's visit to a somatic or general physician is a good opportunity to refer him or her for adequate psychiatric treatment...
- Distribution of cerebral blood flow in the circle of WillisJeroen Hendrikse
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, Hp E 01 132, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiology 235:184-9. 2005..To prospectively determine the effect of anatomic variations in the circle of Willis on volume flow in the internal carotid arteries (ICAs) and basilar artery (BA)...
- Evaluation of the ordered subset convex algorithm for cone-beam CTJ S Kole
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, STR5 203, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 50:613-23. 2005..The results indicate that the use of ordered subsets can be extremely useful for cone-beam x-ray CT...
- Pulmonary nodules detected at lung cancer screening: interobserver variability of semiautomated volume measurementsHester A Gietema
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiology 241:251-7. 2006..To retrospectively determine interobserver variability of semiautomated volume measurements of pulmonary nodules and the potential reasons for variability...
- Cholesterol crystals enhance and phospholipids protect against pancreatitis induced by hydrophobic bile salts: a rat model studyL Paul van Minnen
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Departments of Gastroenterology and Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pancreas 32:369-75. 2006..The objective of this experiment was to explore the potential role of bile salts, phospholipids, and cholesterol crystals in the pathogenesis of biliary pancreatitis in a rat model...
- Radiographic joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis is associated with differences in cartilage turnover and can be predicted by serum biomarkers: an evaluation from 1 to 4 years after diagnosisS M M Verstappen
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R31. 2006....
- Towards patient specific thermal modelling of the prostateCornelis A T Van den Berg
Department of Radiotherapy, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, HP Q 00 118 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Phys Med Biol 51:809-25. 2006..The prostate vasculature plays such a crucial role that a patient specific discrete vessel model of the prostate vasculature is required...
- A shift from diffuse to focal cortical activity with development: the authors' replySarah Durston
Sackler Institute for Developmental Psychobiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, USA
Dev Sci 9:18-20. 2006
- Production of GMP-grade radioactive holmium loaded poly(L-lactic acid) microspheres for clinical applicationS W Zielhuis
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Pharm 311:69-74. 2006..3+/-0.1% of the loading was released from the microspheres in an aqueous solution. In conclusion, Ho-PLLA-MS which are produced as described in this paper, can be clinically applied, with respect to their pharmaceutical quality...
- The prevalence of bother, acceptance, and need for help in men with erectile dysfunctionB J de Boer
University Medical Centre Utrecht General Practice, De Bilt, The Netherlands
J Sex Med 2:445-50. 2005..Thus, this study aimed to assess the distribution of bother, acceptance, and need for help in men with ED, and assess characteristics of patients with ED in need for help but not receiving medical attention for ED...
- Psychological consequences of termination of pregnancy for fetal anomaly: similarities and differences between partnersMarijke J Korenromp
Department of Perinatology and Gynaecology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Prenat Diagn 25:1226-33. 2005..We examined the psychological responses to termination of pregnancy (TOP) for fetal anomaly from both men and women. The aim was to find risk factors for poor psychological outcome both for the individuals and for the couple...
- Successful maintenance electroconvulsive therapy for more than seven yearsJaap Wijkstra
Department of Psychiatry, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J ECT 21:171-3. 2005..Thus M-ECT does not appear to cause cognitive deterioration. M-ECT is being continued on the patient's request...
- Lupus anticoagulants and the risk of a first episode of deep venous thrombosisP G de Groot
Department of Haematology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 3:1993-7. 2005..The strongest association holds for the combination LAC and the presence of anti-beta2GPI or antiprothrombin antibodies...
- [Post-exposure prophylaxis following exposure to HIV: adaptation to the situation may be indicated]A M J Wensing
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:1485-9. 2005..In these cases the choice of drugs in the PEP-regimen can be individualised based on the antiretroviral medication history of the source patient and known resistance patterns of the source virus...
- Renal blood flow measurements with use of phase-contrast magnetic resonance imaging: normal values and reproducibilityLiesbeth Bax
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:807-14. 2005..To assess the validity and the direct, short-term, and long-term reproducibility of renal blood flow (RBF) measurements with phase-contrast (PC) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging...
- Function of striatum beyond inhibition and execution of motor responsesMatthijs Vink
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Department of Psychiatry, Heidelberglaan Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hum Brain Mapp 25:336-44. 2005..Our findings suggest that the striatum is critically involved in inhibitory motor control, most likely by controlling the execution of planned motor responses...
- ELVIRA HSV, a yield reduction assay for rapid herpes simplex virus susceptibility testingRuzena Stranska
Department of Virology, Eijkman Winkler Center, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2331-3. 2004..It uses an HSV-inducible reporter cell line. This simple and rapid assay has an objective readout, low inoculum size, and good reproducibility. The results correlate well with those of the plaque reduction assay...
- A good response to early DMARD treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis in the first year predicts remission during follow upS M M Verstappen
University Medical Centre Utrecht, Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:38-43. 2005..To describe the frequency and duration of remission in the Utrecht rheumatoid arthritis cohort of patients followed since diagnosis, and the clinical and treatment characteristics of patients with remission v those without...
- Angiogenesis in prostate cancer: its role in disease progression and possible therapeutic approachesR J A Van Moorselaar
Department of Urology, HP G05 201, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 197:239-50. 2002..Whether the ultimate antiangiogenic treatment is effective as a single agent or in combination with radiation therapy, chemotherapy or immunotherapy remains to be determined...
- Language lateralization in monozygotic twin pairs concordant and discordant for handednessI E C Sommer
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, Neuroscience Division, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Brain 125:2710-8. 2002..Discordant language dominance may be caused by a relatively late time of splitting of the original embryo, which disrupts the normal development of left-right asymmetry...
- [Double blind placebo controlled cow's milk provocation for the diagnosis of cow's milk allergy in infants and children]R P Schade
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht UMCU, Postbus 85 090, 3508 AB Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1739-42. 2002..To test a protocol for a double-blind placebo-controlled cow's milk provocation for the diagnosis of acute allergic reactions to milk in an outpatient setting...
- Small bowel motility affects glucose absorption in a healthy manMatthijs P Schwartz
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Departments of Gastroenterology and Surgery, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 25:1857-61. 2002..To investigate the relationship between duodenojejunal motor activity and glucose absorption and to evaluate the effect of modification of duodenojejunal motility on glucose absorption by using the prokinetic drug cisapride...
- Update on the treatment of advanced cervical cancerP O Witteveen
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Oncology, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 43:245-56. 2002..For the new standard in advanced cervical cancer, it is clear that chemotherapy should be added to the radiation regimen for an optimal treatment. However, firm conclusions to which drugs or regimens cannot be drawn at this moment...
- Inflammatory cell adhesion molecules in ischemic cerebrovascular diseaseC J M Frijns
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Stroke 33:2115-22. 2002..They mediate the transmigration process of leukocytes to the abluminal side of the endothelium...
- [Diagnostic image (91). A collapsing man with an aortic aneurysm. Ruptured aneurysm of the abdominal aorta]K J van Everdingen
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Afd Radiologie, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:1081. 2002..A 73-year-old man had been diagnosed with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. Surgery was impossible due to poor cardiopulmonary condition. The patient collapsed due to rupture of the aneurysm...
- Lodixanol inhibits exogenous surfactant therapy in rats with acute respiratory distress syndromeJ Kesecioglu
Dept of Anaesthesiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 19:820-6. 2002..Surfactant suspended in a lower concentration of iodixanol seems a better alternative, allowing for radiological imaging of the distribution of surfactant when intratracheally instilled...
- Construction of a new posterior communicating artery in a patient with poor posterior fossa circulation: technical case reportCornelis A F Tulleken
Department of Neurosurgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neurosurgery 50:415-9; discussion 419-20. 2002..This report is the first one in which an angiographically proved patent internal carotid artery-posterior cerebral artery segment P1 bypass is presented...
- [Free fatty acids: mediators of insulin resistance and atherosclerosis]M Castro Cabezas
afd Vasculaire Geneeskunde, Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 146:103-9. 2002..Acquiring more knowledge about the relationship between complement and FFA metabolism may increase our understanding of these processes and provide openings for the development of new antiatherogenic strategies...
- Effect of perioperative nutrition, with and without arginine supplementation, on nutritional status, immune function, postoperative morbidity, and survival in severely malnourished head and neck cancer patientsM A van Bokhorst-De Van Der Schueren
Department of Dietetics, the Nutrition Support Team, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 73:323-32. 2001..Malnourished head and neck cancer patients are at increased risk of postoperative complications...
- Specific versus nonspecific brain activity in a parametric N-back taskJ M Jansma
Department of Psychiatry, HP A01 126, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 12:688-97. 2000..Implication of this analytical strategy for application in research on psychiatric disorders is discussed...
- Interleukin 4 and interferon-gamma expression of the dermal infiltrate in patients with erythroderma and mycosis fungoides. An immuno-histochemical studyV Sigurdsson
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Cutan Pathol 27:429-35. 2000..The aim of this study was to investigate the dermal cytokine profile in different types of erythroderma and mycosis fungoides...
- Corticosteroids in uveitisAniki Rothova
Uveitis Center, FC Donders Institute of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center Utrecht, E 03 136, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 15:389-94. 2002..Randomized clinical trials are needed to determine the short- and long-term effectiveness of CS in uveitis...
- Language lateralization in female patients with schizophrenia: an fMRI studyI E C Sommer
Department of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Schizophr Res 60:183-90. 2003..These findings indicate that lower language lateralization in women is not likely to underlie gender differences in schizophrenia...
- Use of a dual-head coincidence camera and 18F-FDG for detection and nodal staging of non-small cell lung cancer: accuracy as determined by 2 independent observersHenk Stevens
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 44:336-40. 2003..Positron imaging with dual-head gamma cameras may not be as sensitive as PET, but recent studies have shown good results with these cameras...
- Caesarean section on request: a survey in The NetherlandsAnneke Kwee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, WKZ, KE 04 123 1, Lundlaan 6, 3584 EA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 113:186-90. 2004..To determine the opinion of Dutch gynaecologists and registrars on caesarean section (CS) on request...
- Multislice CT: technical principles and future trendsMathias Prokop
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 13:M3-13. 2003..Functional and perfusion imaging, as well as advanced image processing and computer-aided diagnosis programs, will add to the possibilities of the next generation of multislice CT scanners...
- Evidence against the use of lumbar spine radiography for low back painM A A J van den Bosch
Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke s NHS Trust and the University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Clin Radiol 59:69-76. 2004..Finally, the diagnostic impact of lumbar spine radiography for the diagnosis of degenerative change, fracture, infection and possible tumour, was modelled...
- Neurophysiological factors in human information processing capacityN F Ramsey
Functional Neuroimaging Section, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Room A 01 126, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Brain 127:517-25. 2004..Finally, this study shows that fMRI can provide information that predicts behavioural output, which is not provided by overt behavioural measures...
- Postprandial lipaemia in familial combined hyperlipidaemiaM Castro Cabezas
Department of Vascular Medicine F02 126, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Biochem Soc Trans 31:1090-3. 2003....
- Cardiomyocyte death in patients with end-stage heart failure before and after support with a left ventricular assist device: low incidence of apoptosis despite ubiquitous mediatorsNicolaas de Jonge
Heart Lung Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Heart Lung Transplant 22:1028-36. 2003..Left ventricular assist device (LVAD) implantation in patients with end-stage heart failure results in impressive hemodynamic improvement. The effects on myocardial apoptosis and its mediators are unknown...
- Phase I dose-escalation study of the safety and pharmacokinetics of atrasentan: an endothelin receptor antagonist for refractory prostate cancerBernard A Zonnenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 9:2965-72. 2003..Priority was given to patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer. After 28 days, patients without objective signs of tumor progression were eligible to continue atrasentan in an extension study...
- Modified informed consent procedure: consent to postponed informationHan Boter
Department of Neurology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Centre Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Netherlands
BMJ 327:284-5. 2003
- Effects of euthanasia on the bereaved family and friends: a cross sectional studyNikkie B Swarte
Department of Gynaecology, F05 829, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, Netherlands
BMJ 327:189. 2003..To assess how euthanasia in terminally ill cancer patients affects the grief response of bereaved family and friends...
- Mechanism of action of recombinant factor VIIaT Lisman
Thrombosis and Haemostasis Laboratory, Department of Haematology, Room G03 647, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 1:1138-9. 2003
- HLA-DRB1*16-restricted recognition of myeloid cells, including CD34+ CML progenitor cellsSaskia B Ebeling
Jordan Laboratory for Haemato Oncology, Department of Haematology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Haematol 121:721-9. 2003..The antigen recognition is restricted by HLA-DRB1*16. To our knowledge, this is only the second report on an allogeneic CD4 T-cell clone that reacts with early CD34+ myeloid progenitor cells...
- Development and application of quantitative real time PCR and RT-PCR assays that discriminate between the full-length and truncated herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase geneSaskia B Ebeling
Jordan Laboratory for Hemato Oncology, Department of Hematology, Rm G 03 647, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Virol Methods 109:177-86. 2003..Thus, at maximum 4.2+/-1.2% of T cells transduced with SFCMM-3 will be resistant to ganciclovir due to this mechanism only. Together, these assays provide a powerful method to monitor patients in future clinical trials...
- [Clinically relevant drug interactions in the elderly]P A F Jansen
Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht, Afd Geriatrie, Postbus 85 500, 3508 GA Utrecht
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:595-9. 2003..When an unexpected adverse effect occurs in a patient or a previously effective therapy suddenly fails, it is wise to consider drug interaction as a possible cause...
- Second-look and second surgery: second chance or second best?E A Sijmons
Department of Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Semin Surg Oncol 19:54-61. 2000..After a complete remission, which lasts for more than a year, complete secondary cytoreduction, again followed by chemotherapy, improves survival...