Affiliation: Research Center
Country: The Netherlands
- P-wave complexity in normal subjects and computer modelsMark Potse
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Universiteitssingel 50, 6229 ER Maastricht, The Netherlands Electronic address
J Electrocardiol 49:545-53. 2016..P waves reported in electrocardiology literature uniformly appear smooth. Computer simulation and signal analysis studies have shown much more complex shapes...
- Patient-specific modelling of cardiac electrophysiology in heart-failure patientsMark Potse
Center for Computational Medicine in Cardiology, Faculty of Informatics, Università della Svizzera italiana, Via Giuseppe Buffi 13, 6904 Lugano, Switzerland Inria Bordeaux Sud Ouest, 33405 Talence Cedex, France
Europace 16:iv56-iv61. 2014....
- Similarities and differences between electrocardiogram signs of left bundle-branch block and left-ventricular uncouplingMark Potse
Institute of Computational Science, Faculty of Informatics, Università della Svizzera italiana, Via Giuseppe Buffi 13, Lugano, Switzerland
Europace 14:v33-v39. 2012..We used a realistic large-scale computer model to evaluate the effects of uncoupling with and without left-sided block and in combination with biventricular pacing...
- Mathematical modeling and simulation of ventricular activation sequences: implications for cardiac resynchronization therapyMark Potse
Institute of Computational Science, University of Lugano, Via Giuseppe Buffi 13, 6904 Lugano, Switzerland
J Cardiovasc Transl Res 5:146-58. 2012....
- Cardiac anisotropy in boundary-element models for the electrocardiogramMark Potse
Research Center, Sacre Coeur Hospital, 5400 Boulevard Gouin Ouest, Montreal, QC, H4J 1C5, Canada
Med Biol Eng Comput 47:719-29. 2009..A model that accounted only for intracellular anisotropy showed intermediate performance. We conclude that using a compound anisotropy ratio allows BEM-based ECG models to more accurately represent both anisotropies...
- Validation of a simple model for the morphology of the T wave in unipolar electrogramsMark Potse
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H792-801. 2009....
- The role of extracellular potassium transport in computer models of the ischemic zoneMark Potse
Research Center, Sacre Coeur Hospital, 5400 Boulevard Gouin Ouest, Montreal, QC, Canada, H4J 1C5
Med Biol Eng Comput 45:1187-99. 2007..We discuss the role of potassium transport next to other aspects of ischemia: the mechanism of changes in action potential and ECG, cellular coupling, anisotropic bidomain tissue conductivity, and the geometry of the ischemic zone...
- ST elevation or depression in subendocardial ischemia?Mark Potse
Res Center, Hosp du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Que
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:3899-902. 2006..We hypothesize that ST depression in leads overlying an ischemic zone is due to subendocardial ischemia in tissue where a redistribution of gap junctions has taken place...
- A comparison of monodomain and bidomain propagation models for the human heartMark Potse
Res Center, Hosp du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Que
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:3895-8. 2006..We conclude that, in the absence of applied currents, propagating action potentials on the scale of a human heart can be studied with a monodomain model...
- The positive T waveMark Potse
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:164-7. 2007..The purpose of this study was to elucidate the mechanism that leads to positive and negative T waves and to investigate which electrogram feature best predicts TR...
- Understanding ST depression in the stress-test ECGMark Potse
Research Center, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:145-7. 2007..An alternative explanation for ST depression specific to stress testing involves global subendocardial ischemia. In this study, we evaluated both explanations with a realistic mathematical model of the human heart...
- Why do we need supercomputers to understand the electrocardiographic T wave?Mark Potse
Research Center, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 7:123-4. 2007..Solving RD equations for a whole heart requires a supercomputer. Therefore, earlier models used predefined action potential (AP) shapes and fixed propagation velocities. We discuss why RD models are important when T waves are studied...
- Properties of unipolar electrograms recorded with a multielectrode basket catheterMark Potse
Department of Medical Physics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Electrocardiol 37:1-10. 2004..In conclusion, unipolar mapping using a basket catheter can be used with confidence for the creation of activation maps if appropriate care is taken in the interpretation of fractionated electrograms...
- A comparison of monodomain and bidomain reaction-diffusion models for action potential propagation in the human heartMark Potse
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, P O Box 6128, Station Centre Ville, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:2425-35. 2006..We conclude that, in the absence of applied currents, propagating action potentials on the scale of a human heart can be studied with a monodomain model...
- Simulation of QRST integral maps with a membrane-based computer heart model employing parallel processingMarie Claude Trudel
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:1319-29. 2004..Finally, the sensitivity of QRST integral maps to local alterations in action-potential duration was investigated...
- The effect of lesion size and tissue remodeling on ST deviation in partial-thickness ischemiaMark Potse
Research Center, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada mark potse nl
Heart Rhythm 4:200-6. 2007..ST depression in epicardium overlying the ischemic zone indicates that the ischemia is nontransmural. However, nontransmural ischemia does not always cause ST depression. Especially in animal models, ST depression is hard to reproduce...
- Modeling transport of interstitial potassium in regional myocardial ischemia: effect on the injury currentMark Potse
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Boulevard Gouin Ouest, Montréal Québec H4J 1C5, Canada
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:6331-4. 2007..This suggests that activation is more likely to occur at the endocardium, where the potassium gradient is steeper...
- ST segment elevation by current-to-load mismatch: an experimental and computational studyMark G Hoogendijk
Department of Experimental Cardiology, Heart Failure Research Center, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Heart Rhythm 8:111-8. 2011..In patients with Brugada syndrome, ST segment elevation is modulated by cardiac sodium (I(Na)), transient outward (I(to)), and L-type calcium currents (I(CaL))...
- A computer model of endo-epicardial electrical dissociation and transmural conduction during atrial fibrillationAli Gharaviri
Department of Physiology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Europace 14:v10-v16. 2012..The aim of the study was to investigate the role of transmural conduction in the stability of AF episodes using a dual-layer computer model...
- [Multiscale modeling of cardiac electrical activity]Philippe Comtois
Institut de Cardiologie de Montreal, Institut de Génie Biomédical, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Med Sci (Paris) 26:57-64. 2010..In each case, the methods, results and limitations are discussed...
- Dynamics of sustained reentry in a loop model with discrete gap junction resistancesWei Chen
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada H4J 1C5
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 76:021928. 2007..An increase of R does not seem to increase the number of possible QP solutions since, as in the continuous cable, only two QP modes of propagation were found despite an extensive search through alternative initial conditions...
- Simulating T-wave parameters of local extracellular electrograms with a whole-heart bidomain reaction-diffusion model: Size matters!Mark Potse
Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montréal Québec H4J 1C5, Canada
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:6644-7. 2007..By sacrificing some spatial resolutions, we kept the computational requirements within acceptable limits for multiple simulations...
- Mechanoelectrical coupling enhances initiation and affects perpetuation of atrial fibrillation during acute atrial dilationNico H L Kuijpers
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Heart Rhythm 8:429-36. 2011..Acute atrial dilation increases the susceptibility to atrial fibrillation (AF). However, the mechanisms by which atrial stretch may contribute to the initiation and perpetuation of AF remain to be determined...
- How disruption of endo-epicardial electrical connections enhances endo-epicardial conduction during atrial fibrillationAli Gharaviri
Department of Physiology and Maastricht Centre of Systems Biology, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
Europace . 2016..We tested the hypothesis that endo-epicardial uncoupling enhances endo-epicardial electrical dyssynchrony, breakthrough rate (BTR), and AF stability...
- An in-silico analysis of the effect of heart position and orientation on the ECG morphology and vectorcardiogram parameters in patients with heart failure and intraventricular conduction defectsUyên Châu Nguyên
Faculty of Medicine, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Electrocardiol 48:617-25. 2015..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of geometrical factors on the ECG morphology and vectorcardiogram (VCG) parameters...
- In vivo electromechanical assessment of heart failure patients with prolonged QRS durationWilco Kroon
Center for Computational Medicine in Cardiology, Institute of Computational Science, University of Lugano, Lugano, Switzerland
Heart Rhythm 12:1259-67. 2015..Combined measurement of electrical activation and mechanical dyssynchrony in heart failure (HF) patients is scarce but may contain important mechanistic and diagnostic clues...
- Mechanism of right precordial ST-segment elevation in structural heart disease: excitation failure by current-to-load mismatchMark G Hoogendijk
Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Heart Rhythm 7:238-48. 2010..The Brugada sign has been associated with mutations in SCN5A and with right ventricular structural abnormalities. Their role in the Brugada sign and the associated ventricular arrhythmias is unknown...
- Software design for analysis of multichannel intracardial and body surface electrocardiogramsMark Potse
Medical Physics Department, Academic Medical Center AMC, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 69:225-36. 2002..The source code is made intelligible using software for structured documentation and is available to the users. The package is currently used by more than ten research groups analysing ECG data worldwide...
- Segmentation of the left ventricular endocardium from magnetic resonance images by using different statistical shape modelsConcetta Piazzese
Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy Centre for Computational Medicine in Cardiology, Institute of Computational Science, Università della Svizzera italiana, Lugano, Switzerland Electronic address
J Electrocardiol 49:383-91. 2016..A high correlation (r(2)>0.92) was found in all cases, with better results when using the SSM models comprising more than one frame of the cardiac cycle. ..
- Electrical conduction in canine pulmonary veins: electrophysiological and anatomic correlationMeleze Hocini
Hopital Cardiologique du Haut Leveque, Pessac, France
Circulation 105:2442-8. 2002..The mechanism of these initiating arrhythmias is unknown. The aim of this study was to determine electrophysiological characteristics of canine pulmonary veins that may predispose to initiating arrhythmias...