Affiliation: Numico Research
Country: The Netherlands
- Colon microflora in infants fed formula with galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides: more like breast-fed infantsJan Knol
Numico Research B V, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:36-42. 2005....
- Specific prebiotic oligosaccharides modulate the early phase of a murine vaccination responseArjan P Vos
Danone Research Centre for Specialised Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Int Immunopharmacol 10:619-25. 2010..Furthermore, the results demonstrate that it is critical to consider kinetic aspects of immune-modulatory and prebiotic effects in order to study their interaction in a meaningful way...
- Bifidogenic effects of solid weaning foods with added prebiotic oligosaccharides: a randomised controlled clinical trialPetra A M J Scholtens
Numico Research B V, Bosrandweg 20, 6704 PH, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 42:553-9. 2006..The present study aimed at testing the effect of solid foods with added prebiotic galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides (GOS/FOS) on the composition of the intestinal microbiota of fully formula-fed infants during the weaning period...
- Fecal secretory immunoglobulin A is increased in healthy infants who receive a formula with short-chain galacto-oligosaccharides and long-chain fructo-oligosaccharidesPetra A M J Scholtens
Numico Research, Wageningen 6700 CA, The Netherlands
J Nutr 138:1141-7. 2008..were 0.0 and 3.27%, respectively (P = 0.006). In conclusion, an infant milk formula with 6 g/L scGOS/lcFOS results in higher concentrations of fecal sIgA, suggesting a positive effect on mucosal immunity...
- Dietary supplementation of neutral and acidic oligosaccharides enhances Th1-dependent vaccination responses in miceArjan P Vos
Department of Biomedical Research, Numico Research, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18:304-12. 2007..As Th1-responses are weak in early life in humans, this might suggest that application of these oligosaccharides in infant formulas will be beneficial for the development of the infant's immune system...
- Quantitative real-time PCR analysis of fecal Lactobacillus species in infants receiving a prebiotic infant formulaMonique Haarman
Microbiology Section, Biomedical Research Department, Numico Research B V, P O Box 7005, 6700 CA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:2359-65. 2006..delbrueckii and less L. paracasei compared to breast-fed infants and OSF-fed infants. An infant milk formula containing a specific mixture of prebiotics is able to induce a microbiota that closely resembles the microbiota of BF infants...
- Bifidobacterium population analysis in the infant gut by direct mapping of genomic hybridization patterns: potential for monitoring temporal development and effects of dietary regimensRolf Boesten
Microbiology Department, TNO Quality of Life, Zeist, The Netherlands
Microb Biotechnol 4:417-27. 2011..In conclusion, our results show the applicability of comparative genome hybridization to study bifidobacterial populations in infant faecal samples without the use of any amplification step...
- Tolerance and safety of the potentially probiotic strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus PRSF-L477: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial in healthy volunteersRichèle D Wind
Danone Research Centre for Specialised Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 104:1806-16. 2010..Therefore, we conclude that L. rhamnosus PRSF-L477 can safely be administrated to healthy subjects at a daily dose of 1 × 10¹¹ cfu...
- Effects of galactooligosaccharide and long-chain fructooligosaccharide supplementation during pregnancy on maternal and neonatal microbiota and immunity--a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyRania Shadid
Pediatric Immune Regulation Clinical Cooperation Group, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Am J Clin Nutr 86:1426-37. 2007..However, it is not known how GOS and FOS influence the microbiota of pregnant women and whether a potential prebiotic effect is transferred to the offspring...
- A specific prebiotic oligosaccharide mixture stimulates delayed-type hypersensitivity in a murine influenza vaccination modelArjan P Vos
Department of Biomedical Research, Numico Research, 6700 CA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Int Immunopharmacol 6:1277-86. 2006..Clinical studies are being performed to confirm this...
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides and the enterohepatic circulation of bile salts in ratsHester van Meer
Pediatric Gastroenterology, Department of Pediatrics, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 294:G540-7. 2008..The present data in rats do not support the hypothesis that prebiotics naturally present in human milk contribute to a larger bile salt pool size or altered bile salt pool kinetics...
- Randomized double-blind study of the nutritional efficacy and bifidogenicity of a new infant formula containing partially hydrolyzed protein, a high beta-palmitic acid level, and nondigestible oligosaccharidesHansjörg Schmelzle
Centre for Paediatric Medicine, University of Greifswald, Germany
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 36:343-51. 2003....
- Effects of infant formula containing a mixture of galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides or viable Bifidobacterium animalis on the intestinal microflora during the first 4 months of lifeAstrid M Bakker-Zierikzee
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, PO Box 8129, NL 6700 EV Wageningen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 94:783-90. 2005..In the Bb-12 group, composition and metabolic activity of the flora were more similar to those of the standard group...
- Effects of total enteral nutrition supplemented with a multi-fibre mix on faecal short-chain fatty acids and microbiotaStephane M Schneider
Department of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital, Nice, France
Clin Nutr 25:82-90. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of a multi-fibre-enriched formula (15 g/l) and a fibre-free isoenergetic and isonitrogenous formula on faecal SCFAs and microbiota in long-term enteral nutrition (EN) patients...
- Increase of faecal bifidobacteria due to dietary oligosaccharides induces a reduction of clinically relevant pathogen germs in the faeces of formula-fed preterm infantsJan Knol
Numico Research, Wageningen, Netherlands, and Friedrichsdorf, Germany
Acta Paediatr Suppl 94:31-3. 2005....
- Galacto-oligosaccharides and long-chain fructo-oligosaccharides as prebiotics in infant formulas: a reviewSilvia Fanaro
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Ferrara, Italy
Acta Paediatr Suppl 94:22-6. 2005....
- Quantitative real-time PCR assays to identify and quantify fecal Bifidobacterium species in infants receiving a prebiotic infant formulaMonique Haarman
Microbiology Section, Biomedical Research Department, Numico Research BV, P O Box 7005, 6700 CA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:2318-24. 2005..38% +/- 0.98% for the OSF group). In conclusion, the specific prebiotic infant formula used induces a fecal microbiota that closely resembles the microbiota of breast-fed infants also at the level of the different Bifidobacterium species...
- Prebiotic carbohydrates in human milk and formulasGunther Boehm
Numico Research, Friedrichsdorf, Germany
Acta Paediatr Suppl 94:18-21. 2005..Thus, prebiotic oligosaccharides such as the studied mixture provide beneficial effects for formula-fed infants...
- Strain-specific effects of probiotics on gut barrier integrity following hemorrhagic shockMisha D Luyer
Department of Surgery, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Infect Immun 73:3686-92. 2005..Although pretreatment with Lactobacillus spp. may be useful to preserve gut barrier integrity following severe hypotension, a thorough assessment of specific strains seems to be essential...
- Early impairment of gut function and gut flora supporting a role for alteration of gastrointestinal mucosa in human immunodeficiency virus pathogenesisAndrea Gori
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, San Gerardo Hospital, University of Milano Bicocca, Via Solferino 16 20052, Milan, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 46:757-8. 2008..This impairment is associated with alterations in gut microbiota and intestinal inflammatory parameters. These findings support the hypothesis that alterations at the gastrointestinal-tract level are a key factor in HIV pathogenesis...
- The intestinal bacterial colonisation in preterm infants: a review of the literatureElisabeth A M Westerbeek
Department of Pediatrics, Subdivision of Neonatology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 25:361-8. 2006..As antibiotics delay the normal intestinal colonisation, caution should be given to the treatment with broadspectrum antibiotics in preterm infants at birth and every attempt has to be made to restrict the period of treatment...