Affiliation: National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
Country: The Netherlands
- Are children at high familial risk of developing allergy born into a low risk environment? The PIAMA Birth Cohort Study. Prevention and Incidence of Asthma and Mite AllergyA Wijga
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Allergy 31:576-81. 2001....
- BMI development of normal weight and overweight children in the PIAMA studySaskia M Willers
Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Division Environmental Epidemiology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 7:e39517. 2012..There is evidence that rapid weight gain during the first year of life is associated with overweight later in life. However, results from studies exploring other critical periods for the development of overweight are inconsistent...
- The association between indoor temperature and body mass index in children: the PIAMA birth cohort studyFloor R Scheffers
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Centre for Nutrition, Prevention and Health Services pb 101, PO Box 1, Bilthoven 3720, BA, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 13:1119. 2013..However, the effect of thermal exposure on body weight has hardly been studied. Therefore, this study investigated the association between indoor temperature and body mass index (BMI) in children in real life...
- Predicting asthma in preschool children with asthma symptoms: study rationale and designEsther Hafkamp-de Groen
The Generation R Study Group, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Pulm Med 12:65. 2012....
- Quantification of the energy gap in young overweight children. The PIAMA birth cohort studySaskia W van den Berg
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 11:326. 2011..Aim of this study was to quantify the positive energy balance responsible for excess body weight gain (energy gap) in young overweight children...
- The development of socio-economic health differences in childhood: results of the Dutch longitudinal PIAMA birth cohortAnnemarie Ruijsbroek
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 11:225. 2011..The goal of this study was to prospectively study the development of socio-economic health differences in the Netherlands, and to investigate possible explanations for socio-economic variation in childhood health...
- Do parents who smoke underutilize health care services for their children? A cross sectional study within the longitudinal PIAMA studyMonique A M Jacobs-van der Bruggen
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
BMC Health Serv Res 7:83. 2007..This study explores the validity and generalizability of the previous assumption...
- [Complaints and illnesses in children in the Netherlands]Alet H Wijga
Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu, Centrum voor Preventie en zorgonderzoek, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 155:A3464. 2011..To provide insight into the nature, prevalence and consequences of common chronic health problems in children (0-18 years) in the Netherlands...
- Comorbidities of obesity in school children: a cross-sectional study in the PIAMA birth cohortAlet H Wijga
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 10:184. 2010..There is ample evidence that childhood overweight is associated with increased risk of chronic disease in adulthood. The aim of this study was to investigate associations between childhood overweight and common childhood health problems...
- Adenotonsillectomy and the development of overweightAlet H Wijga
National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, PO Box 1, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, Netherlands
Pediatrics 123:1095-101. 2009..Whether (adeno)tonsillectomy is also a risk factor for the development of overweight is unknown. We investigated the association between (adeno)tonsillectomy and the subsequent development of overweight in the general population...
- Breast milk fatty acids and allergic disease in preschool children: the Prevention and Incidence of Asthma and Mite Allergy birth cohort studyAlet H Wijga
Center for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Allergy Clin Immunol 117:440-7. 2006..Better understanding of the association between early life lipid intakes and the development of allergic diseases is needed...
- Association of consumption of products containing milk fat with reduced asthma risk in pre-school children: the PIAMA birth cohort studyA H Wijga
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology CZE, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Thorax 58:567-72. 2003..Understanding the relevant factors in this relationship may provide methods of prevention. The role of diet in the development of asthma in pre-school children was investigated...
- Fatty acids in breast milk of allergic and non-allergic mothers: The PIAMA birth cohort studyAlet Wijga
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 14:156-62. 2003....
- Neonatal total IgE and respiratory tract infections in children with intrauterine smoke exposureJopje Ruskamp
Department of Paediatrics, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 95:427-31. 2010..We examined whether early atopic status (defined by elevated neonatal total IgE (tIgE) or symptoms of atopic dermatitis) modified the association between ETS exposure and RTI...
- Musculoskeletal complaints while growing up from age 11 to age 14: the PIAMA birth cohort studyH Susan J Picavet
aCentre for Nutrition, Prevention and health Services, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, Netherlands bJulius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands cDepartment of Health Sciences and EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, VU University, Amsterdam, Netherlands dInstitute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
Pain 157:2826-2833. 2016..Sleeping problems and tiredness may also play a role in the early development of MSCs, either as determinant or as a consequence...
- Exposure to solar ultraviolet radiation in young Dutch children: assessment by means of a 6-week retrospective questionnaireFabian Termorshuizen
Laboratory for Pathology and Immunobiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, Bilthoven 3720 BA, The Netherlands
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 12:204-13. 2002..These results support the suitability of the questionnaire for classifying the participants with respect to their short-term exposure to solar UVR...
- Childhood diet and asthma and atopy at 8 years of age: the PIAMA birth cohort studyS M Willers
Centre for Prevention and Health Services Research, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 37:1060-7. 2011..This study indicates no consistent effects of increased early or late consumption, or long-term intake of certain foods on asthma and atopy in 8-yr-olds, with a possible exception for fruit...
- Air pollution from traffic and the development of respiratory infections and asthmatic and allergic symptoms in childrenMichael Brauer
School of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1092-8. 2002..These findings are subject to confirmation at older ages, when asthma can be more readily diagnosed...
- Respiratory symptoms in the first 7 years of life and birth weight at term: the PIAMA Birth CohortDaan Caudri
Department of Pediatrics Respiratory Medicine, Erasmus University, 3000 CB Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:1078-85. 2007..The relation between birth weight and respiratory symptoms and asthma in children remains unclear. Previous studies focused on a relation at separate ages. A longitudinal analysis may lead to a better understanding...
- Traffic-related air pollution and otitis mediaMichael Brauer
University of British Columbia, School of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 114:1414-8. 2006..Although exposure to environmental tobacco smoke is a known risk factor associated with otitis media, little information is available regarding the potential association with air pollution...
- The effect of prenatal exposure on total IgE at birth and sensitization at twelve months and four years of age: The PIAMA studyMarjan Kerkhof
Department of Epidemiology, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 16:10-8. 2005..Our results suggest a short-lasting protective effect of prenatal exposure to pets on total IgE at birth and early sensitization...