Affiliation: Maastricht University
Country: The Netherlands
- Is it possible to improve elderly male bladder function by having them drink more water? A randomized trial of effects of increased fluid intake/urine output on male lower urinary tract functionMark Spigt
Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Urology 68:1031-6. 2006..Several animal studies have shown that bladder performance improves as a result of diuresis. Whether increased urine output also has beneficial effects on elderly male bladder function and lower urinary tract symptoms is unknown...
- Clusters of lifestyle behaviors: results from the Dutch SMILE studyHein de Vries
Department of Health Education and Health Promotion, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Prev Med 46:203-8. 2008..This study aimed to identify differences and similarities in health behavior clusters for respondents with different educational backgrounds...
- The SMILE study: a study of medical information and lifestyles in Eindhoven, the rationale and contents of a large prospective dynamic cohort studyMarjan Van den Akker
Department of General Practice, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Public Health 8:19. 2008....
- Pathophysiological aspects of bladder dysfunction: a new hypothesis for the prevention of 'prostatic' symptomsM G Spigt
Department of General Practice, Research Institute Caphri, University of Maastricht, P O Box 616, Maastricht MD 6200, The Netherlands
Med Hypotheses 62:448-52. 2004..Future symptoms may thus be prevented. In humans an increased urine output can be achieved by drinking additional water, which could be an adequate preventive intervention...
- The relationship between primary health care organization and quality of diabetes careMark Spigt
Maastricht University, Department of General Practice, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Gen Pract 15:212-8. 2009..Despite many quality improvement trials, diabetes care often remains suboptimal. Few studies in a primary care setting have investigated the 'real life' association between organizational differences and quality of diabetes care...
- Increasing the daily water intake for the prophylactic treatment of headache: a pilot trialM G Spigt
Department of General Practice, Research Institute Caphri, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurol 12:715-8. 2005..Our results seem to justify larger scaled research on the effectiveness of increased water intake in headache patients...
- A randomized trial on the effects of regular water intake in patients with recurrent headachesMark Spigt
Department of General Practice, CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 29:370-5. 2012..Previously published investigations suggest a positive effect of increased water intake on headache, but a randomised controlled trial has not been done...
- The effect of screening on the prevalence of diagnosed type 2 diabetes in primary careMark Spigt
Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI
Scand J Prim Health Care 27:232-7. 2009..To investigate to what extent differences in diagnosed diabetes prevalence can be attributed to differences in the general practitioner's (GP) screening activity...
- The validity and ethics of giving placebo in a randomized nonpharmacologic trial was evaluatedM G Spigt
Department of General Practice, University of Maastricht, Research Institute Caphri, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 58:350-6. 2005..In a study on the effectiveness of increased water intake on voiding dysfunction in elderly men we used an unusual design. This article addresses the internal validty and ethics of this design...
- A simple formula for the calculation of sample size in pilot studiesWolfgang Viechtbauer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, MHeNS School for Mental Health and Neuroscience, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 68:1375-9. 2015..If a problem exists with 5% probability in a potential study participant, the problem will almost certainly be identified (with 95% confidence) in a pilot study including 59 participants. ..
- Differential attrition in health behaviour change trials: a systematic review and meta-analysisRik Crutzen
a CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Psychol Health 30:122-34. 2015..The primary research question of this study was: how often and to what degree does differential attrition occur in HBC trials?..
- How motivated are patients with type 2 diabetes to change their lifestyle? A survey among patients and healthcare professionalsJoris J Linmans
CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands Electronic address
Prim Care Diabetes 9:439-45. 2015..We assessed the level of motivation to change lifestyle and the agreement for that level between patients and healthcare professionals...
- Using electronic medical records analysis to investigate the effectiveness of lifestyle programs in real-world primary care is challenging: a case study in diabetes mellitusJoris J Linmans
Department of General Practice, Caphri, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 65:785-92. 2012..We investigated the effects of real-world primary care for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)...
- Implementing cardiometabolic health checks in general practice: a qualitative process evaluationMerijn Godefrooij
CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Department of General Practice, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, Maastricht 6200MD, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 15:132. 2014..The aim of this study was to explore the implementation of a cardiometabolic health check as perceived by the involved caregivers and patients...
- No differential attrition was found in randomized controlled trials published in general medical journals: a meta-analysisRik Crutzen
CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 66:948-54. 2013..This study identifies the degree of differential attrition in RCTs covering a broad spectrum of clinical areas and factors that are related to this...