A M Karssen
Affiliation: Leiden University
Country: The Netherlands
- Multidrug resistance P-glycoprotein hampers the access of cortisol but not of corticosterone to mouse and human brainA M Karssen
Divisions of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 142:2686-94. 2001..This finding suggests a more prominent role for corticosterone in control of human brain function than hitherto recognized...
- Low doses of dexamethasone can produce a hypocorticosteroid state in the brainA M Karssen
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 146:5587-95. 2005..The results support the concept that low doses of dex can create a hypocorticoid state in the brain...
- Cell- and tIssue-specific effects of corticosteroids in relation to glucocorticoid resistance: examples from the brainO C Meijer
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Centre for Drug Research, Leiden University, PO Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
J Endocrinol 178:13-8. 2003....
- The role of the efflux transporter P-glycoprotein in brain penetration of prednisoloneA M Karssen
Divisions of Medical Pharmacology and Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research Leiden University Medical Centre, PO Box 9502, Leiden, 2300 RA, The Netherlands
J Endocrinol 175:251-60. 2002..Furthermore, the ensuing imbalance in activation of the two types of brain corticosteroid receptors may have consequences for cognitive performance and mood...
- Localization of mRNA expression of P-glycoprotein at the blood-brain barrier and in the hippocampusA M Karssen
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1032:308-11. 2004..Our data indicate that P-glycoprotein is expressed by endothelial cells and possibly dentate gyrus neurons The functional role of P-glycoprotein at dentate gyrus neurons is presently unknown...