Genomes and Genes
Danielle L Champagne
Affiliation: Leiden University
Country: The Netherlands
- Translating rodent behavioral repertoire to zebrafish (Danio rerio): relevance for stress researchDanielle L Champagne
Institute of Biology, Department of Integrative Zoology, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 214:332-42. 2010..These findings are consistent with previous findings in rodents and support the usefulness of such behavioral paradigms in zebrafish...
- Maternal care influences neuronal survival in the hippocampus of the ratTimothy W Bredy
Developmental Neuroendocrinology Laboratory and McGill Program for the Study of Behaviour, Genes and Environment, Douglas Hospital Research Centre, 6875 Boul LaSalle Blvd, Montreal, Canada, H4H 1R3
Eur J Neurosci 18:2903-9. 2003..These findings emphasize the importance of early maternal care for hippocampal development...
- Maternal care and hippocampal plasticity: evidence for experience-dependent structural plasticity, altered synaptic functioning, and differential responsiveness to glucocorticoids and stressDanielle L Champagne
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences Center for Neuroscience, University of Amsterdam, 1098 SM Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 28:6037-45. 2008....
- Fundamental aspects of the impact of glucocorticoids on the (immature) brainDanielle L Champagne
Department of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research Leiden University Medical Center, Gorlaeus Laboratory, Leiden, The Netherlands
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:136-42. 2009..This concept has led to the hypothesis that a 'mismatch' between early and later life conditions can enhance vulnerability to disease...
- Early experience of a novel-environment in isolation primes a fearful phenotype characterized by persistent amygdala activationNikolaos P Daskalakis
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Academic Center for Drug Research, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands Traumatic Stress Studies Division and Laboratory of Molecular Neuropsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, USA Mental Health Care Center, PTSD Clinical Research Program and Laboratory of Clinical Neuroendocrinology and Neurochemistry, James J Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bronx, USA Electronic address
Psychoneuroendocrinology 39:39-57. 2014..In conclusion, programming of an adult fearful phenotype linked to amygdala priming develops if pups are repeatedly isolated from peers in a novel-environment, while away from the dam for a prolonged period of time...
- Maternal care determines rapid effects of stress mediators on synaptic plasticity in adult rat hippocampal dentate gyrusRosemary C Bagot
SILS CNS, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurobiol Learn Mem 92:292-300. 2009..We suggest that decreased pup LG during postnatal life may be adaptive in high-threat environments, potentially enhancing hippocampal function in the offspring under conditions of adversity...
- Testing the cumulative stress and mismatch hypotheses of psychopathology in a rat model of early-life adversityNikolaos P Daskalakis
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Einsteinweg 55, 2333 CC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 106:707-21. 2012..For this purpose the combined effects of early-life adversity and later-life stress exposure on behavioral markers of psychosis susceptibility were studied in male Wistar rats...
- The newborn rat's stress system readily habituates to repeated and prolonged maternal separation, while continuing to respond to stressors in context dependent fashionNikolaos P Daskalakis
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden University, Gorlaeus Laboratories, The Netherlands
Horm Behav 60:165-76. 2011..In conclusion, separation environment, maternal care and genotype do not affect adrenal desensitization to repeated 8 h-MS itself, but may modulate the adrenal stress-responsiveness of separated pups...
- Acute effects of neonatal dexamethasone treatment on proliferation and astrocyte immunoreactivity in hippocampus and corpus callosum: towards a rescue strategySanne E F Claessens
Department of Medical Pharmacology, LACDR LUMC, Leiden University, Einsteinweg 55, 2333 CC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Brain Res 1482:1-12. 2012..These acute alterations in the neonate brain might underlie later functional impairments reported in DEX-treated animals and humans and further illustrate the impact of early GR activation on brain development...
- Behavioral profiling of zebrafish embryos exposed to a panel of 60 water-soluble compoundsShaukat Ali
Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Sylvius Laboratory, Sylviusweg 72, Leiden, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 228:272-83. 2012..We conclude that behavioral assays with zebrafish embryos could be useful for pharmaceutical efficacy and toxicity screening. The precise phenotypic outcome obtained with behavioral assay varies with compound class...
- Lifelong impact of variations in maternal care on dendritic structure and function of cortical layer 2/3 pyramidal neurons in rat offspringLaura A Smit-Rigter
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Center for Neuroscience, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e5167. 2009....
- The use of the zebrafish model in stress researchPeter J Steenbergen
Institute of Biology, Department of Integrative Zoology, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 35:1432-51. 2011..We also present novel methodologies associated with the development of the zebrafish stress model and discuss how such methodologies can contribute to remove the main bottleneck in the field of drug discovery...
- MicroRNA 18 and 124a down-regulate the glucocorticoid receptor: implications for glucocorticoid responsiveness in the brainErno Vreugdenhil
Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research Medical Pharmacology Department, Leiden University, Gorlaeus Laboratory, Einsteinweg 55, 2333CC Leiden, The Netherlands
Endocrinology 150:2220-8. 2009..Ultimately, our results may provide a better understanding of the etiology of stress-related diseases as well as the efficacy of GC therapy...
- Zebrafish embryos and larvae: a new generation of disease models and drug screensShaukat Ali
Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Sylvius Laboratory, The Netherlands
Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 93:115-33. 2011..Finally, the zebrafish poses no challenge to the position of rodent models: it is complementary to them, especially in early stages of drug research...
- Brain development under stress: hypotheses of glucocorticoid actions revisitedMelly S Oitzl
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Centre for Drug Research LACDR Leiden University Medical Centre LUMC, University of Leiden, Einsteinweg 55, P O Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:853-66. 2010..The Predictive Adaptation Hypothesis therefore presents a conceptual framework to examine the role of glucocorticoids in understanding individual phenotypic differences in stress-related behaviours over the lifespan...
- Patterns of avoidance behaviours in the light/dark preference test in young juvenile zebrafish: a pharmacological studyPeter J Steenbergen
Institute of Biology, Department of Integrative Zoology, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Behav Brain Res 222:15-25. 2011..This behavioural-based assay is also versatile and can accommodate drug screening of both anxiolytic and anxiogenic compounds while eventually amenable to automation and high-throughput capacity in a near future...
- Large-scale analysis of acute ethanol exposure in zebrafish development: a critical time window and resilienceShaukat Ali
Institute of Biology, Leiden University, Sylvius Laboratory, Leiden, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 6:e20037. 2011..We have therefore conducted the first large-scale (>1500 embryos) analysis of acute, stage-specific drug effects on zebrafish development, with a large panel of readouts...
- Long-lasting effects of dexamethasone on immune cells and wound healing in the zebrafishFaiza Sharif
Department of Integrative Zoology, Institute of Biology, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Wound Repair Regen 23:855-65. 2015..Therefore, the current findings support the use of the larval zebrafish model to study the impact of stress and stress hormone exposure in immature organisms on health risks in later life. ..
- Development of individual differences in stress responsiveness: an overview of factors mediating the outcome of early life experiencesSanne E F Claessens
Division of Medical Pharmacology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Gorlaeus Laboratories, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300 RA, Leiden, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 214:141-54. 2011..The interplay between genes and environment underlies this phenomenon...
- Zebrafish development and regeneration: new tools for biomedical researchSebastiaan A Brittijn
Institute of Biology, Dept Integrative Zoology, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Int J Dev Biol 53:835-50. 2009..Zebrafish cannot replace mammalian models in the drug development pipeline. Nevertheless, they can provide a cost-effective bridge between cell-based assays and mammalian whole-organism models...