André I Wierdsma
Affiliation: Erasmus MC
Country: The Netherlands
- Emergency compulsory admissions in the Netherlands: fluctuating patterns in Rotterdam, 1929-2005André I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC, Department of Psychiatry, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hist Psychiatry 20:199-214. 2009..These factors suggest that if the increasing use of compulsory admissions is to be reversed, a coordinated effort is needed...
- Breakdown of continuity in public mental healthcare in the Netherlands: a longitudinal case studyAndré I Wierdsma
Department of Psychiatry Erasmus MC, O3 Research Centre Mental Healthcare Rijnmond, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Integr Care 11:e126. 2011..Understanding the ways in which various aspects of continuity of care interact may reveal help to find out more about how care delivered over time improves outcomes...
- Does mental health service integration affect compulsory admissions?André I Wierdsma
University Medical Center Rotterdam, Department of Psychiatry, O3 Mental Health Care Research Center, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Integr Care 9:e90. 2009..This might be mitigated by formal or collaborative relationships between services...
- [Effects on scale and confidence intervals as alternatives to p < 0.05]A I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 55:471-80. 2013..Researchers and reviewers often use the conventional p < 0.05 as threshold in statistical tests. In many cases, however, the interpretation of p-values is incorrect...
- [Regional differences in the care and treatment of compulsory admissions in the Netherlands]A I Wierdsma
Psychiatrie van het Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 54:777-83. 2012..In the Netherlands compulsory admissions are on the increase. However, there are regional differences even when demographic factors are taken into account...
- The effects of crisis plans for patients with psychotic and bipolar disorders: a randomised controlled trialA Ruchlewska
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 9:41. 2009..Furthermore, this study seeks to identify possible mechanisms responsible for the effects of a PACP or a CCP...
- [Contact with the child and adolescent psychiatric services is determined by cultural and socio-economic differences]A I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC, Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 53:857-63. 2011..In the Netherlands access to mental healthcare is not evenly distributed over ethnic groups. Young persons of non-Dutch origin make only limited use of Dutch child and adolescent psychiatric services...
- Reconstructing continuity of care in mental health services: a multilevel conceptual frameworkAndré Wierdsma
Department of Psychiatry, Erasmus Medical Center, University of Rotterdam, Rotterdam The Netherlands
J Health Serv Res Policy 14:52-7. 2009..Account should be taken not only of the nature of the patient population, but also of local conditions. To address these topics and identify best practices, research should be multidisciplinary and take a comparative, naturalistic form...
- Effects of community-care networks on psychiatric emergency contacts, hospitalisation and involuntary admissionAndré I Wierdsma
O3 Research Centre, Mental Health Care Rijnmond, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, Department of Psychiatry 0452, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:613-8. 2007..The networks were set up to improve the healthcare for patients with (chronic) psychiatric problems through local cooperation between different agencies operating in underprivileged areas...
- Case registers in psychiatry: do they still have a role for research and service monitoring?André I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC, University of Rotterdam, Department of Psychiatry, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Psychiatry 21:379-84. 2008..To follow up on reviews of case register research. Literature searches over a 2-year period were conducted to determine whether psychiatric case registers still have a role for research and service monitoring...
- [Psychiatric past history and health care after compulsory admission. Care use as an indicator of the quality of care for patients in compulsory care in Rotterdam]A I Wierdsma
O3 Onderzoekcentrum GGZ Rijnmond, Afdeling Psychiatrie, Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 48:81-93. 2006..In evaluations of the Act on Special Admissions to Psychiatric Hospitals in The Netherlands (Dutch acronym BOPZ) hardly any attention has been given to the use of mental health care services before and after a compulsory admission...
- [Do we really still need psychiatric case registers?]A I Wierdsma
Erasmus MC voor het O3 Onderzoekcentrum GGZ Rijnmond
Tijdschr Psychiatr 49:569-73. 2007..Case register research can also aim at developing outcome measures and creating links between mental health care and other health care areas...
- The effectiveness of assertive community treatment for elderly patients with severe mental illness: a randomized controlled trialJolanda Stobbe
Department of Psychiatry, Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research institute, Erasmus MC, PO Box 2040 Dp 0122, Rotterdam, CA 3000, The Netherlands
BMC Psychiatry 14:42. 2014..So far all outcome studies of assertive community treatment have been conducted in adults...
- Decrease in unmet needs contributes to improved motivation for treatment in elderly patients with severe mental illnessJolanda Stobbe
Department of Psychiatry, Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research institute, Erasmus University Medical Center, PO Box 2040 Dp 0122, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 50:125-32. 2015..To investigate the pattern of associations between changes in unmet needs and treatment motivation in elderly patients with severe mental illness...
- Determinants of Completion and Use of Psychiatric Advance Statements in Mental Health Care in the NetherlandsAsia Ruchlewska
Dr Ruchlewska, Dr Kamperman, Dr Wierdsma, and Dr Mulder are with the ESPRi Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research Institute, Department of Psychiatry, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, the Netherlands Dr Mulder is also with Bavo Europoort, Rotterdam Dr van der Gaag is with EMGO Institute for Health and Care Research, VU University, Amsterdam, the Netherlands He is also with the Parnassia Psychiatric Institute, The Hague, the Netherlands Send correspondence to Dr Kamperman e mail
Psychiatr Serv 67:858-63. 2016..This study examined patient and clinician characteristics associated with successful completion of a crisis plan and determined how often a plan was consulted in a crisis situation...
- Exploring continuity of care in patients with alcohol use disorders using time-variant measuresS C de Vries
Department of Psychiatry, O3 Research Centre Mental Health Care, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Addict Res 15:19-24. 2009..We used time-variant measures of continuity of care to study fluctuations in long-term treatment use by patients with alcohol-related disorders...
- [Drop-out from after-care following compulsory hospitalisation--how serious is the problem?]J Stobbe
Onderzoekcentrum GGZ Rijnmond, Erasmus MC, Afdeling Psychiatrie, Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 51:801-12. 2009..Little is known about the amount and quality of after-care provided for patients hospitalised as a result of a court authorisation...
- Changing patterns in emergency involuntary admissions in the Netherlands in the period 2000-2004C L Mulder
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Department of Psychiatry and BavoEuropoort, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Law Psychiatry 31:331-6. 2008..In England, rates of involuntary admissions increased in subgroups of patients. It is unknown whether this is true in other European countries...
- [Continuity of care following suicide-related compulsory admission]S C de Vries
O3 Onderzoekcentrum GGZ, Erasmus MC, Afdeling Psychiatrie, Postbus 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam
Tijdschr Psychiatr 50:533-8. 2008..Follow-up studies are needed so that we can find out whether the absence of aftercare can cause problems for patients admitted to an institution because they have threatened to commit suicide...
- Working Alliance in Patients with Severe Mental Illness Who Need a Crisis Intervention PlanAsia Ruchlewska
Department of Psychiatry, ESPRi Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research Institute, Erasmus University Medical Centre, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Community Ment Health J 52:102-8. 2016..Clinicians may need help developing awareness of the goals and tasks of patients with certain characteristics, i.e., singles, men, those with poor illness insight and those who report poor social functioning. ..
- Lack of motivation for treatment associated with greater care needs and psychosocial problemsJolanda Stobbe
a Department of Psychiatry, Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research institute, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Aging Ment Health 17:1052-8. 2013..To compare the care needs and severity of psychosocial problems in older patients with severe mental illness (SMI) between those who were and were not motivated for treatment...
- Improved insight affects social outcomes in involuntarily committed psychotic patients: a longitudinal study in the NetherlandsAntoon W B van Baars
Erasmus MC, Department of Psychiatry, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Compr Psychiatry 54:873-9. 2013..Lack of insight in schizophrenia is associated with negative social outcomes mediated by symptom severity, but longitudinal studies show contradicting findings...
- Effect of crisis plans on admissions and emergency visits: a randomized controlled trialAsia Ruchlewska
Epidemiological and Social Psychiatric Research institute, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 9:e91882. 2014..To establish whether patients with a crisis plan had fewer voluntary or involuntary admissions, or fewer outpatient emergency visits, than patients without such a plan...
- The Addiction Severity Index as a predictor of the use of mental health careN F Reelick
Department of Psychiatry, O3 Research Centre Mental Health Care Rijnmond, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Psychol Addict Behav 20:214-8. 2006..However, the percentage of false positives is high. None of the indices predicts the intensity and duration of the mental health care treatment...
- Depot-medication compliance for patients with psychotic disorders: the importance of illness insight and treatment motivationErnst L Noordraven
Dual Diagnosis Centre CDP, Parnassia Psychiatric Institute, The Hague, The Netherlands Department of Psychiatry, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 12:269-74. 2016..Our cross-sectional study explored how they are related to each other and their compliance with depot medication...
- Severe Infections are Common in Thiamine Deficiency and May be Related to Cognitive Outcomes: A Cohort Study of 68 Patients With Wernicke-Korsakoff SyndromeJan W Wijnia
Lelie Care Group, Slingedael Korsakoff Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands Department of Psychiatry, Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Psychosomatics 57:624-633. 2016..Wernicke encephalopathy can have different clinical outcomes. Although infections may precipitate the encephalopathy itself, it is unknown whether infections also modify the long-term outcome in patients developing Korsakoff syndrome...