Affiliation: Erasmus University
Country: The Netherlands
- Evaluation of staff performance and material resources for integrated schistosomiasis control in northern SenegalMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 7:70-9. 2002..The activities included additional training of doctors and nurses in symptom-based treatment and making praziquantel (PZQ) available for an affordable price...
- Associating community prevalence of Schistosoma mansoni infection with prevalence of signs and symptomsMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Rotterdam, P O Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Trop 82:127-37. 2002..An influence on hepatosplenic morbidity is already present at low community prevalence of infection. For the aspecific symptom abdominal pain we did not find an association...
- Quantification of clinical morbidity associated with schistosome infection in sub-Saharan AfricaMarieke J van der Werf
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Trop 86:125-39. 2003..mansoni) at 150000 and 130000 per year. Given the overall high number of cases with schistosomiasis-related disease and associated death, we conclude that schistosomiasis remains an important public health problem in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Determination of ED50 values for praziquantel in praziquantel-resistant and -susceptible Schistosoma mansoni isolatesDonato Cioli
Institute of Cell Biology, 32 Via Ramarini, 00016 Monterotondo, Rome, Italy
Int J Parasitol 34:979-87. 2004....
- Deworming: adding public health education to the equationAlbis Francesco Gabrielli
Trends Parasitol 22:455-6. 2006
- Control of Taenia solium cysticercosis/taeniosisArve Lee Willingham
WHO FAO Collaborating Center for Parasitic Zoonoses, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Adv Parasitol 61:509-66. 2006....
- Triclabendazole for the treatment of fascioliasis and paragonimiasisJennifer Keiser
Swiss Tropical Institute, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 14:1513-26. 2005....
- Efficacy of mirazid in comparison with praziquantel in Egyptian Schistosoma mansoni-infected school children and householdsSanaa Botros
Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Warrak el Hadar, Giza, Egypt
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:119-23. 2005..5% and 79.7%, respectively, in those treated with praziquantel. Therefore, we do not recommend mirazid as an agent to control schistosomiasis...
- Monitoring drug efficacy and early detection of drug resistance in human soil-transmitted nematodes: a pressing public health agenda for helminth controlMarco Albonico
Fondazione Ivo de Carneri, Via IV Marzo 14, 10122 Torino, Italy
Int J Parasitol 34:1205-10. 2004..A concerted action with international partners and the creation of a network of scientists to address this issue is the next pressing public health issue for helminth control...
- Soil-transmitted helminth infections: updating the global pictureNilanthi R de Silva
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, PO Box 6, Ragama, Sri Lanka
Trends Parasitol 19:547-51. 2003
- Hyperendemic fascioliasis associated with schistosomiasis in villages in the Nile Delta of EgyptJose Guillermo Esteban
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Am J Trop Med Hyg 69:429-37. 2003..Interestingly, the relationships of schistosomiasis prevalences and intensities with sex and age follow patterns similar to those found in fascioliasis...
- Drugs for the control of parasitic diseases: current status and development in schistosomiasisAlan Fenwick
Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, St Mary s Campus, Imperial College, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Trends Parasitol 19:509-15. 2003
- Schistosomiasis and soil-transmitted helminth infections: forging control effortsLorenzo Savioli
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:577-9. 2002
- Morbidity control of schistosomiasis in ChinaJiang Qing-Wu
School of Public Health, Fudan University, 138 Yi Xue Yuan Lu, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 82:115-25. 2002..Therefore, the strategies in different (high, medium, and low) transmission areas during the maintenance stage were put forward in consideration of challenges in national control program in the future...
- An analysis of the impact of the Schistosomiasis Control Programme in BrazilRonaldo Santos do Amaral
Coordenação de Doenças Transmitidas por Vetores Esquistossomose, Ministerio da Saude, 70058 900 Brasília, DF, Brazil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:79-85. 2006..3%. The mortality rate was highest among the 50-and-above age group. The country's IMOE rose 32.3%. The IMOE was seen to be much lower in the state of Minas Gerais, where the PCE was only initiated in 1983, with very limited coverage...