Affiliation: Academic Medical Center
Country: The Netherlands
- Plasma and erythrocyte fatty acid patterns in patients with recurrent depression: a matched case-control studyJohanna Assies
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 5:e10635. 2010....
- Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone supplementation on fatty acid and hormone levels in patients with X-linked adrenoleucodystrophyJ Assies
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59:459-66. 2003..In animal studies DHEA administration had a peroxisome proliferating effect and induced the expression of peroxisomal enzymes involved in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids...
- Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) supplementation on fatty acid and hormone levels in patients with X-linked adrenoleukodystrophyJohanna Assies
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22 700, 1100 DE Amsterdam
Adv Exp Med Biol 544:243-4. 2003
- Elevated salivary dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate but normal cortisol levels in medicated depressed patients: preliminary findingsJohanna Assies
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Tafelbergweg 25, 1105 BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychiatry Res 128:117-22. 2004..These preliminary results suggest that DHEA-S may be a more sensitive indicator of depression and symptom severity than cortisol in medicated but still clinically depressed patients...
- HPA- and HPT-axis alterations in chronic posttraumatic stress disorderMiranda Olff
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Psychological Trauma, Academic Medical Center de Meren, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychoneuroendocrinology 31:1220-30. 2006..Further research with longitudinal designs is needed to find out whether these lower hormone levels are preexisting risk factors or consequence of trauma and whether these alterations are deleterious or adaptive...
- Erythrocyte fatty acid profiles and plasma homocysteine, folate and vitamin B6 and B12 in recurrent depression: Implications for co-morbidity with cardiovascular diseaseJohanna Assies
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Psychiatry Res 229:992-8. 2015..controls, which may reflect differences in handling of oxidative stress. Further research should test the consequences of these differences, particularly the premature development of CVD in MDD. ..
- Fatty acids and homocysteine levels in patients with recurrent depression: an explorative pilot studyJ Assies
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Centre, Tafelbergweg 25, Amsterdam 1105BC, The Netherlands
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 70:349-56. 2004..The FA alterations were found in patients although most of them were clinically recovered, suggesting that the alterations may represent a biological" trait" marker for recurrent depression...
- DHEAS and cortisol/DHEAS-ratio in recurrent depression: State, or trait predicting 10-year recurrence?R J T Mocking
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Psychoneuroendocrinology 59:91-101. 2015..In addition, we tested associations with (III) previous MDD-episodes, (IV) prospective recurrence, and (V) effects of cognitive therapy...
- The one-carbon-cycle and methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism in recurrent major depressive disorder; influence of antidepressant use and depressive state?A Lok
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 5, Amsterdam 1105 AZ, The Netherlands Electronic address
J Affect Disord 166:115-23. 2014....
- Interaction between the MTHFR C677T polymorphism and traumatic childhood events predicts depressionA Lok
Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Transl Psychiatry 3:e288. 2013..In conclusion, T-allele carriers may be at an increased risk for depressive symptoms or MDD recurrence after exposure to childhood trauma. ..
- [Mania during the use of a combination preparation with St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)]Y Guzelcan
Academisch Medisch Centrum, Postbus 22 700, 1100 DE Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 145:1943-5. 2001..The mechanism of action of St. John's wort is, however, not yet fully understood. St. John's wort should therefore be used with caution, especially in patients with a bipolar disorder...
- Changes in cortisol and DHEA plasma levels after psychotherapy for PTSDMiranda Olff
Center for Psychological Trauma, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center de Meren, University of Amsterdam, Tafelbergweg 25, 1105 BC Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Psychoneuroendocrinology 32:619-26. 2007..In conclusion, effective psychotherapy for PTSD may alter dysregulations in the Hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal (HPA)-axis, but comorbid depressive symptoms should be taken into account...
- Effects of oxidative stress on fatty acid- and one-carbon-metabolism in psychiatric and cardiovascular disease comorbidityJ Assies
Program for Mood Disorders, Department of Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam
Acta Psychiatr Scand 130:163-80. 2014....
- Significantly reduced docosahexaenoic and docosapentaenoic acid concentrations in erythrocyte membranes from schizophrenic patients compared with a carefully matched control groupJ Assies
Department of Adolescent Psychiatry, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 49:510-22. 2001..The differences were not due to diet or hormonal status and could not be explained by the medication or cannabis use. No consistent pattern emerged from the different fatty acid abnormalities and the clinical symptom scores...
- Progression of abnormalities in adrenomyeloneuropathy and neurologically asymptomatic X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy despite treatment with "Lorenzo's oil"B M van Geel
Department of Neurology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 67:290-9. 1999..The efficacy of "Lorenzo's oil" in the milder phenotypes of X-ALD was assessed, as this has been much less investigated...
- Schizophrenia, syndrome X, and omega-3 fatty acidsFrançois Pouwer
Am J Psychiatry 161:1926. 2004