- Effects of setting bone cement on tissue-engineered bone graft: a potential barrier to clinical translation?
Edward R Tayton
Bone and Joint Research Group, Human Development and Health, University of Southampton Medical School, Tremona Road, Southampton UK
J Bone Joint Surg Am 95:736-43. 2013
..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of setting bone cement on the survival of human adult skeletal stem cells within tissue-engineered allograft and a novel allograft substitute...
- Translational hurdles for tissue engineering: an in vitro analysis of commonly used local anaesthetics on skeletal stem cell survival
E R Tayton
University of Southampton School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 94:848-55. 2012
..This study indicates that certain local anaesthetic agents in widespread clinical use are deleterious to skeletal progenitor cells when studied in vitro; this might have relevance in clinical applications...
- Femoral anteversion: a necessary angle or an evolutionary vestige?
Orthopaedics Cheltenham General Hospital, Sandford Road, Cheltenham GL53 7AN, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:1283-8. 2007
..In man with mobilisation on vertical femora, the biomechanical advantage of anteversion is against forces acting mainly in the horizontal plane. This has implications in regard to the orientation of hip replacements...
- A correlation of time with meniscal tears in anterior cruciate ligament deficiency: stratifying the risk of surgical delay
Department of Orthopaedics, St Mary s Hospital, Parkhurst Road, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 5TG, UK
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 17:30-4. 2009
..If the instability is unacceptable, the patient should be informed of the time dependent risk to the menisci with further delay to surgical reconstruction...
- Mapping the strain distribution on the proximal femur with titanium and flexible-stemmed implants using digital image correlation
Salisbury District Hospital, Odstock Road, Salisbury SP2 8BJ, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:1176-81. 2010
..There was a reduction in strain beyond the tip of both the implants. This investigation indicates that use of the CFRP stem should avoid stress shielding in total hip replacement...
- Supercritical CO2 fluid-foaming of polymers to increase porosity: a method to improve the mechanical and biocompatibility characteristics for use as a potential alternative to allografts in impaction bone grafting?
Human Development and Health, University of Southampton Medical School, Southampton, UK
Acta Biomater 8:1918-27. 2012
..These improved characteristics are critical for clinical translation as a potential osteogenic composite for use in IBG...
- The scale-up of a tissue engineered porous hydroxyapatite polymer composite scaffold for use in bone repair: an ovine femoral condyle defect study
Bone and Joint Research Group, Centre for Human Development, Stem Cells and Regeneration, Human Development and Health, University of Southampton Medical School, Southampton, SO16 6YD, United Kingdom
J Biomed Mater Res A 103:1346-56. 2015
..The scaffold demonstrated encouraging results as an osteoconductive matrix; however, further work is required with cellular protocols before any human trials...