World Health Organization
Organization: World Health Organization
- Global mental health: the role of psychiatryBenedetto Saraceno
Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse, World Health Organization, Avenue Appia 20, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 259:S109-17. 2009....
- The need and plan for global elimination of congenital syphilisGeorge P Schmid
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Sex Transm Dis 34:S5-10. 2007..The newly proposed World Health Organization Strategy for the Global Elimination of Congenital Syphilis aims to mobilize resources and provide a plan ..
- Efficacy of two intervals and two routes of administration of misoprostol for termination of early pregnancy: a randomised controlled equivalence trialHelena von Hertzen
UNDP UNFPA WHO World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction, Department of Reproductive Health and Research, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 369:1938-46. 2007..Our aim was to assess the effects of the interval between multiple doses of misoprostol and the route of administration to terminate pregnancy...
- Sexually transmitted infections: key issues for clinical practiceN Broutet
Department of Reproductive Health and Research, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 97:229-31. 2007
- Epidemiology of periodontal status in dentate adults in France, 2002-2003D Bourgeois
Global Oral Health Program, Department of Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
J Periodontal Res 42:219-27. 2007..The purpose of this study was to investigate the prevalence and the oral distribution of periodontal status among dentate adults in the general population of France...
- Effects of maternal mortality on gross domestic product (GDP) in the WHO African regionJoses M Kirigia
Health Financing and Social Protection Unit, World Health Organization, Regional Office for Africa, Brazzaville, Congo
Afr J Health Sci 13:86-95. 2006....
- [WHO program for prequalification of antiretroviral, antimalarial and antituberculosis drugs]O Gross
Organisation mondiale de la Sante, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Suisse
Med Trop (Mars) 66:549-51. 2006..Initially focusing on medicines for HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria, the Programme is now being expanded to also cover medicines for reproductive health...
- Art for women's healthMario Merialdi
Reproductive Health and Research Department, World Health Organization, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
Lancet 368:2113-4. 2006
- The National Violent Death Reporting System: a new gold standard for the surveillance of violence related deaths?A Butchart
Prevention of Violence, Department of Injuries and Violence Prevention, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Inj Prev 12:ii63-ii64. 2006
- HIV in the Middle EastCarla Makhlouf Obermeyer
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, 1211, Switzerland
BMJ 333:851-4. 2006
- Prevalence of intimate partner violence: findings from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violenceClaudia Garcia-Moreno
WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 368:1260-9. 2006....
- How much disease burden can be prevented by environmental interventions?Annette Prüss-Ustün
Department of Public Health and the Environment, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Epidemiology 18:167-78. 2007..The World Health Organization (WHO) recently completed a comprehensive, systematic, and transparent estimate of the disease burden ..
- Chapter 23: International Standard reagents for harmonization of HPV serology and DNA assays--an updateSonia R Pagliusi
Department of Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Vaccine 24:S3/193-200. 2006..It is hoped that the establishment of International Units and International Standards for HPV antibody and DNA analysis will be pursued with high priority...
- Effectiveness of weekly iron-folic acid supplementation to prevent and control anemia among women of reproductive age in three Asian countries: development of the master protocol and implementation planTommaso Cavalli-Sforza
WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific, P O Box 2932, Manila, Philippines
Nutr Rev 63:S77-80. 2005..Each country utilized the same supplement but adapted implementation processes to their specific conditions. Social marketing and community mobilization were considered to be essential tools for sustainability...
- International standard reagents for HPV detectionSonia R Pagliusi
Department of Immunizations, Vaccines and Biologicals, World Health Organization, Av Appia 20, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Dis Markers 23:283-96. 2007..The advancement of prophylactic vaccine candidates against HPV infections and related diseases stresses the increasing importance of HPV assays in monitoring the impact of HPV vaccination on disease burden...
- Conclusions of the Joint WHO/UNICEF/IAEA/IZiNCG Interagency Meeting on Zinc Status IndicatorsBruno de Benoist
Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization, Geneva
Food Nutr Bull 28:S480-4. 2007..A working group meeting was convened by the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and ..
- Endemic Japanese encephalitis in the Kathmandu valley, NepalJeffrey Partridge
World Health Organization, Immunization Preventable Diseases Unit, Kathmandu, Nepal
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:1146-9. 2007..Currently, JE prevention is focused on the Terai region in Nepal; given the evidence, this should be reviewed for the possible inclusion of the Kathmandu valley in the national JE prevention and control program...
- Role of hand hygiene in healthcare-associated infection preventionB Allegranzi
First Global Patient Safety Challenge, World Alliance for Patient Safety, IER PSP, Room L319, L Building, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
J Hosp Infect 73:305-15. 2009..The main objective of the First Global Patient Safety Challenge, launched by the World Health Organization (WHO), is to achieve an improvement in hand hygiene practices worldwide with the ultimate goal of ..
- Gender and HIV testing in Burkina Faso: an exploratory studyCarla Makhlouf Obermeyer
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Sci Med 69:877-84. 2009..The results are discussed in the context of Burkina Faso and in terms of their implications for efforts to improve access to services around HIV...
- Women are still deprived of access to lifesaving essential and emergency obstetric careMonir Islam
Department of Making Pregnancy Safer, World Health Organization, 1121 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 106:120-4. 2009....
- Economic evaluation of public-private mix for tuberculosis care and control, India. Part I. Socio-economic profile and costs among tuberculosis patientsAndrea Pantoja
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:698-704. 2009..Bangalore City, India...
- Inclusion of information on risk factors, socio-economic status and health seeking in a tuberculosis prevalence surveyK Lonnroth
Stop Tuberculosis Department, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:171-6. 2009..The article also discusses special considerations regarding sampling, sample size and data interpretation when including such information in a TB prevalence survey...
- Anthropometrically derived dosing and drug costing calculations for treating visceral leishmaniasis in Bihar, IndiaP Olliaro
UNICEF UNDP WB WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases TDR, Geneva, Switzerland
Trop Med Int Health 14:88-92. 2009..To estimate drug costs of treating visceral leishmaniasis (VL) based on data on the VL population structure from the high-burden, antimony-resistant area of Northern Bihar, India...
- Universal coverage of health services: tailoring its implementationGuy Carrin
Department of Health Systems Financing, Health Systems and Services, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 86:857-63. 2008..In this paper we propose a comprehensive framework focusing on health financing rules and organizations that can be used to support countries in developing their health financing systems in the search for universal coverage...
- Efficacy of monotherapies and artesunate-based combination therapies in children with uncomplicated malaria in SomaliaMarian Warsame
Division of International Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Trop 109:146-51. 2009..A 28-day test of artemisinin-based combinations, AS+SP and AS+AQ, proved to be highly efficacious with cure rates of 98-100% supporting the choice of AS+SP combination as first line treatment for uncomplicated malaria for Somalia...
- Global epidemiology of tuberculosis: prospects for controlKnut Lonnroth
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 29:481-91. 2008..Implementation of the World Health Organization's Stop TB Strategy is currently lagging behind the envisioned scale-up pace, particularly with regard to ..
- World Health Organization global policy for improvement of oral health--World Health Assembly 2007Poul Erik Petersen
World Health Organization, Global Oral Health Programme, Department of Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, Geneva, Switzerland
Int Dent J 58:115-21. 2008The World Health Organization (WHO) Global Oral Health Programme has worked hard over the past five years to increase the awareness of oral health worldwide as an important component of general health and quality of life...
- [Health impact of ozone in 13 Italian cities]Francesco Mitis
World Health Organization, European Centre for Environment and Health, Roma
Epidemiol Prev 31:323-32. 2007..to estimate the health impact of ozone in 13 Italian cities over 200,000 inhabitants and to produce basic elements to permit the reproducibility of the study in other urban locations...
- Human resources for global health: time for action is nowFrancis Omaswa
Global Health Workforce Alliance, WHO, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Lancet 371:625-6. 2008
- Health and urban livingChristopher Dye
World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Science 319:766-9. 2008..Subject to better evidence, I suggest that the main obstacles to improving urban health are not technical or even financial, but rather are related to governance and the organization of civil society...
- Drug resistance hampers our capacity to roll back malariaPiero Olliaro
United Nations International Children s Emergency Fund United Nations Development Programme World Bank World Health Organization Special Programme on Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 41:S247-57. 2005..The current situation favors the development of sensible strategies to restrain resistance...
- Review on flavivirus vaccine development. Proceedings of a meeting jointly organised by the World Health Organization and the Thai Ministry of Public Health, 26-27 April 2004, Bangkok, ThailandJ Hombach
Initiative for Vaccine Research, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Vaccine 23:2689-95. 2005..This event, co-sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Thai Ministry of Public Health, reviewed the progress made with vaccine development, sero-..
- Leishmania/HIV co-infections: epidemiology in EuropeP Desjeux
Strategy Development and Monitoring of Zoonoses, Foodborne Diseases and Kinetoplastidae, Department of Control, Prevention and Eradication ZFK CPE, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:3-15. 2003..of surveillance for the co-infection, which now includes 28 member institutions, was established by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)...
- Longitudinal growth patterns of Pakistani infants in a clinic based growth promotion programShamim A Qazi
Children Hospital, Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, G 8 3, Islamabad, Pakistan
Indian Pediatr 40:1043-53. 2003..To describe the operation of growth monitoring and promotion (GMP) clinic and longitudinal growth patterns of children...
- Dietary diversity, child nutrition and health in contemporary African communitiesAdelheid W Onyango
Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 27, Geneva, Switzerland
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 136:61-9. 2003..Dietary diversity is proposed as a candidate indicator of food security and predictor of nutritional status, but there is need for further research to standardize definitions and methodology before it can be applied widely...
- Quality of care and the demand for health services in Bamako, Mali: the specific roles of structural, process, and outcome componentsMamadou Mariko
Essential Drugs and Medicines Department, World Health Organization, 20, Avenue Appia, CH 1211 27, Geneva, Switzerland
Soc Sci Med 56:1183-96. 2003....
- Global and regional estimates of cancer mortality and incidence by site: II. Results for the global burden of disease 2000Kenji Shibuya
Global Program on Evidence for Health Policy, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Cancer 2:37. 2002..We present the detailed estimates of mortality and incidence by site as the basis for the future estimation of cancer burden for the Global Burden of Disease 2000 study...
- Current problems of drug-resistant tuberculosis and its controlSang Jae Kim
Tuberculosis Strategy and Operations, Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Kekkaku 77:735-40. 2002..We must therefore exert our best efforts to prevent the further generation of such cases by improving the cure rate of newly diagnosed cases, and by aggressively intervening to identify and remove MDR-TB cases as soon as possible...
- [First major epidemic caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135 in Africa?]E Bertherat
Global Alert and Response, CSR CDS, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Genève 27, Suisse
Med Trop (Mars) 62:301-4. 2002..Control strategy for epidemic meningitis is currently the focus of close collaboration between the WHO and the health authorities and corresponding institutions in the countries involved...
- Will tuberculosis become resistant to all antibiotics?C Dye
Communicable Diseases, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Proc Biol Sci 268:45-52. 2001..To substantiate this result, further measurements are needed of the relative fitness of drug-resistant strains...
- Estimating the burden of disease from water, sanitation, and hygiene at a global levelAnnette Prüss
World Health Organization, Protection of the Human Environment, Geneva, Switzerland
Environ Health Perspect 110:537-42. 2002..This significant and avoidable burden suggests that it should be a priority for public health policy...
- Invited commentary: pertussis, a forgotten killerPhilippe Duclos
Department of Vaccines and Biologicals, Health Technology and Pharmaceuticals, World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Am J Epidemiol 155:897-8. 2002
- Dilemmas and opportunities for an appropriate health-service response to violence against womenC Garcia-Moreno
Department of Gender and Women s Health, WHO, 20 Avenue Appia, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
Lancet 359:1509-14. 2002....
- Hot spots in a wired world: WHO surveillance of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseasesD L Heymann
World Health Organization, Communicable Disease Programmes, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet Infect Dis 1:345-53. 2001..About 65% of the world's first news about infectious disease events now comes from informal sources, including press reports and the internet...
- Development and validation of a 'tablet pole' for the administration of praziquantel in sub-Saharan AfricaA Montresor
World Health Organization, Diseases Control, Prevention and Eradication, Parasitic Diseases and Vector Control, Avenue Appia 20, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:542-4. 2001..In more than 98% of the cases the indicated dose was within the range that has proven efficacious and safe (30 and 60 mg/kg)...
- The joint WHO/FAO expert consultation on diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: process, product and policy implicationsChizuru Nishida
Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Public Health Nutr 7:245-50. 2004
- Kenneth Arrow and the birth of health economicsWilliam D Savedoff
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:139-40. 2004
- Medication use, gender, and socio-economic status in Lebanon: analysis of a national surveyCarla Makhlouf Obermeyer
Department of Gender and Women s Health, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switerland
J Med Liban 50:216-25. 2002....
- Strategies for effective and sustainable national nutrition plans and policiesChizuru Nishida
World Health Organization, Department of Nutrition for Health and Development, Sustainable Development and Healthy Environments, Geneva, Switzerland
Forum Nutr 56:264-6. 2003
- Rebuilding the ship as we sail: knowledge management in antiretroviral treatment scale-upChristopher Bailey
Department of Knowledge Management and Sharing, Evidence and Information for Policy, World Health Organization, 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 82:798-800. 2004
- [Rofecoxib (Vioxx) has been withdrawn, what next?]Juhana E Idänpään-Heikkilä
Lääketieteen tiedejärjestöjen kansainvälinen neuvosto CIOMS, c o World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Duodecim 120:2489-90. 2004
- Is the "3 by 5" initiative the best approach to tackling the HIV pandemic?Jim Yong Kim
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 1:e37. 2004The World Health Organization (WHO) and its partners aim to treat 3 million people infected with HIV in poor and middle income countries with antiretroviral treatment by the end of 2005...
- Effectiveness and acceptability of vitamin E and low-dose aspirin, alone or in combination, on Norplant-induced prolonged bleedingCatherine d'Arcangues
Special Programme of Research, World Health Organization, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction HRP, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Contraception 70:451-62. 2004....
- The significance of the Cancun (non)outcome for the health sectorAlaka Singh
World Health Organisation, Health and Development Policy, 20 Avenue Appia, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
Health Policy 70:255-6. 2004
- Overcoming health-systems constraints to achieve the Millennium Development GoalsPhyllida Travis
Department of Health System Policies, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 364:900-6. 2004..The forthcoming Ministerial Summit on Health Research seeks to help define a learning agenda for health systems, so that by 2015, substantial progress will have been made to reducing the system constraints to achieving the MDGs...
- HIV drug resistance surveillance: summary of an April 2003 WHO consultationStefano Lazzari
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 18:S49-53. 2004..Although relevant progress has been made, several important challenges still exist to the implementation of this essential and innovative programme...
- The WHO/FIGO Alliance for Women's HealthT Turmen
Community and Family Health, World Health Organization, Avenue Appia 20, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 86:323-7. 2004
- World health system performance revisited: the impact of varying the relative importance of health system goalsJeremy A Lauer
Evidence and Information for Policy, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
BMC Health Serv Res 4:19. 2004In 2002, the World Health Organization published a health system performance ranking for 191 member countries. The ranking was based on five indicators, with fixed weights common to all countries.
- Health information for all by 2015?Christopher Bailey
World Health Organization, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Lancet 364:223-4. 2004
- Dangerous pathogens in the laboratory: from smallpox to today's SARS setbacks and tomorrow's polio-free worldDavid L Heymann
Polio Eradication InitiativeWHO, Geneva 1211, Switzerland
Lancet 363:1566-8. 2004
- What's in a policy context?Miguel A Gonzalez-Block
Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, Office No 3148, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
J Public Health Policy 25:56-7. 2004
- The epidemiology of human immunodeficiency virus in South AfricaB G Williams
World Health Organization, 20 Avenue Appia, Geneva 27, CH 1211, Switzerland
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 356:1077-86. 2001..We conclude by discussing some of the research that is needed and steps that could be taken to reduce the continued spread of the infection...
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA M OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..