Affiliation: University of Bern
- HGF/c-Met related activation of β-catenin in hepatoblastomaRachel Purcell
Children s Cancer Research Group, University of Otago, Christchurch, Christchurch, New Zealand
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 30:96. 2011..In this study we have investigated alternative activation of beta-catenin by HGF/c-Met signaling in a large cohort of 98 HB patients enrolled in the SIOPEL-3 clinical trial...
- The diagnostic value of liver biopsyC Spycher
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Berne, Switzerland
BMC Gastroenterol 1:12. 2001..The aim was to review the liver biopsies for 5 years after introduction of testing for hepatitis C, in order to evaluate what diagnostic insights - if any - remain after serologic testing...
- Primary perivascular epithelioid cell tumor of the liver not related to hepatic ligaments: hepatic PEComa as an emerging entityA Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology of the University Berne, Switzerland
Histol Histopathol 23:1185-93. 2008....
- The emerging family of hepatoblastoma tumours: from ontogenesis to oncogenesisArthur Zimmermann
SIOPEL Liver Tumour Study Group, Institute of Pathology of the University, Berne, Switzerland
Eur J Cancer 41:1503-14. 2005..In this review, novel findings relating to these issues are discussed...
- Regulation of liver regenerationArthur Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology of the University, Murtenstrasse 31, CH 3010 Berne, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:iv6-10. 2004..Hepatocyte regeneration proceeds along a sequence of distinctive phases and results in a precise reconstitution of the lost tissue mass. The molecular mechanisms regulating liver regeneration have recently been elucidated...
- Myofibroblasts in the cirrhotic rat liver reflect hepatic remodeling and correlate with fibrosis and sinusoidal capillarizationA Zimmermann
Department of Pathology, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Hepatol 30:646-52. 1999..Myofibroblasts are essential in fibrogenesis during development of cirrhosis. In the present study we stereologically quantitated MFB's and correlated them with fibrosis and sinusoidal capillarization...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma with an unusual medullary-like histology and signs of regression ("medullary-like hepatocellular carcinoma")A Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology, University of Berne, Switzerland
Dig Liver Dis 34:748-53. 2002..Medullary-like hepatocellular carcinoma is a lesion which mimics several features known for other medullary carcinomas, including a marked immune response which may be responsible for partial regression of this tumour...
- Pediatric liver tumors and hepatic ontogenesis: common and distinctive pathwaysArthur Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology of the University, Berne, Switzerland
Med Pediatr Oncol 39:492-503. 2002..Some key steps of hepatogenesis and the regulatory factors involved may, in the future, deliver an armamentarium to search for novel molecular mechanisms involved in tumorigenic pathways...
- Hepatoblastoma with cholangioblastic features ('cholangioblastic hepatoblastoma') and other liver tumors with bimodal differentiation in young patientsArthur Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology of the University, Berne, Switzerland
Med Pediatr Oncol 39:487-91. 2002..A possible pathogenetic pathway is suggested, i.e., uni- or bipotential neoplastic progenitors switch into either of the two lineages...
- Liver regeneration: the emergence of new pathwaysArtur Zimmermann
Institute of Pathology of the University, Bern, Switzerland
Med Sci Monit 8:RA53-63. 2002..In contrast to hepatocytes, less is known for the the regenerative replacement of bile ducts, blood vessels and hepatic stellate cells...
- Adult-type hepatocellular carcinoma in the center of a fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinomaGuido Seitz
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery and the Institute of Pathology, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Hum Pathol 33:765-9. 2002....
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of ursodeoxycholic acid with vitamin e in nonalcoholic steatohepatitisJean Francois Dufour
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Bern, and Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1537-43. 2006..UDCA and vitamin E have been considered separately as therapeutic options and have not been shown to be effective. This study tested their combination...
- Secretin receptors in the human liver: expression in biliary tract and cholangiocarcinoma, but not in hepatocytes or hepatocellular carcinomaMeike Korner
Division of Cell Biology and Experimental Cancer Research, Institute of Pathology, University of Bern, Murtenstrasse 31, P O Box 62, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
J Hepatol 45:825-35. 2006..The secretin receptor expression was investigated in the human liver because the liver is a physiological secretin target and because novel diagnostic and treatment modalities are needed for liver cancer...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase is not essential for the development of fibrosis and portal hypertension in bile duct ligated miceAbraham Koshy
Institute for Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Murtenstrasse 35, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Liver Int 25:1044-52. 2005..It is postulated that nitric oxide (NO) is responsible for the hyperdynamic circulation of portal hypertension. Therefore, we investigated induction of fibrosis and hyperdynamic circulation in endothelial NO synthase knock-out (KO) mice...
- Desmoplastic reaction influences pancreatic cancer growth behaviorMark Hartel
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
World J Surg 28:818-25. 2004..Because patients with high CTGF mRNA expression levels have a better prognosis, our findings indicate that the desmoplastic reaction provides a growth disadvantage for pancreatic cancer cells...
- Role of hepatic stellate cell/hepatocyte interaction and activation of hepatic stellate cells in the early phase of liver regeneration in the ratAyako Mabuchi
Department of Physiology, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, P O Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Hepatol 40:910-6. 2004..Hepatic stellate cells (HSCs) are known to play a role in hepatic regeneration. We investigated hepatocyte/HSC interaction and HSC activation at various times after 70% partial hepatectomy (PHx) in the rat...
- Transitional liver cell tumors (TLCT) in older children and adolescents: a novel group of aggressive hepatic tumors expressing beta-cateninAndrzej Prokurat
The Children s Memorial Health Institute, Warsaw, Poland
Med Pediatr Oncol 39:510-8. 2002..We encountered on seven malignant hepatocellular tumors developing in older children and adolescents...
- Reduced hepatic glycogen stores in patients with liver cirrhosisLukas Krahenbuhl
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Berne, Switzerland
Liver Int 23:101-9. 2003..Patients with alcoholic liver cirrhosis have reduced hepatic glycogen stores but the mechanisms leading to this finding are not clear...
- Suppression of transforming growth factor beta signalling aborts caerulein induced pancreatitis and eliminates restricted stimulation at high caerulein concentrationsStefan Wildi
Department of Medicine and Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Gut 56:685-92. 2007....
- Expression and activity of the cytochrome P450 2E1 in patients with nonalcoholic steatosis and steatohepatitisHaithem Chtioui
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Liver Int 27:764-71. 2007..The pathogenesis of NASH implicates the overexpression of cytochrome P450 2E1 (CYP2E1). We investigated whether the noninvasive determination of CYP2E1 activity could replace a liver biopsy in order to differentiate NASH from NAFL...
- Active caspase 3 and DNA fragmentation as markers for apoptotic cell death in primary and metastatic liver tumoursEva Karamitopoulou
Institute of Pathology, Flow Cytometry Facility, Department of Clinical Research, University of Bern, Switzerland
Pathology 39:558-64. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the immunohistochemical detection of active caspase 3 and single-stranded DNA in primary and metastatic liver tumours as markers of apoptotic cell death...
- A randomized controlled 1-year study of daily deferiprone plus twice weekly desferrioxamine compared with daily deferiprone monotherapy in patients with thalassemia majorYesim Aydinok
Ege University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Hematology 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Haematologica 92:1599-606. 2007..The aim of this prospective, randomized, 1-year study was to compare the efficacy and safety of oral deferiprone (DFP) with those of combinations of parenteral desferrioxamine (DFO) with oral DFP...
- Hepatoblastoma with a low serum alpha-fetoprotein level at diagnosis: the SIOPEL group experienceMaretta De Ioris
Department of Paediatric Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 44:545-50. 2008..To investigate the characteristics of patients with hepatoblastoma and low serum alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) at diagnosis...
- Hepatic and skeletal muscle glycogen metabolism in rats with short-term cholestasisCorinne Lang
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Inselspital, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Hepatol 36:22-9. 2002..To study the effect of short-term cholestasis on glycogen metabolism...
- Clinical significance of cell cycle- and apoptosis-related markers in biliary tract cancer: a tissue microarray-based approach revealing a distinctive immunophenotype for intrahepatic and extrahepatic cholangiocarcinomasEva Karamitopoulou
Institutes of Pathology, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland Second Department of Pathology, University of Athens, Haidari, Athens, Greece
Am J Clin Pathol 130:780-6. 2008..Moreover, p16 was identified as an important prognostic marker in cholangiocarcinomas...
- Down-regulation of DOC-2 in colorectal cancer points to its role as a tumor suppressor in this malignancyJorg Kleeff
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 45:1242-8. 2002..In these tumors it negatively influences mitogenic signal transduction of growth factors and blocks ras activity. In the present study we sought to determine the role of DOC-2 in colorectal cancer...
- Macrophage activating syndrome is associated with lobular hepatitis and severe bile duct injury with cholestasisFlorian Bihl
Department of Internal Medicine, Ospedale Civico, 6900 Lugano, Switzerland, and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ont, Canada
J Hepatol 44:1208-12. 2006..This communication suggests that a macrophage, T- and NK-cell network is operational in the pathogenesis of the cholangiocyte, hepatocyte and sinus endothelial cell damage in MAS...
- Effects of immunosuppressant FTY720 on renal and hepatic hemodynamics in the ratMichael N Tawadrous
Microcirculation Research Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University of Otago
Transplantation 74:602-10. 2002..However, the effects of FTY720 on renal or hepatic hemodynamics are unknown. The aim of this study was to establish the hemodynamic and renal actions of FTY720 at therapeutically relevant dosages...
- The metabolic and microcirculatory impact of orthotopic liver transplantation on the obese Zucker ratCheuk Kwan Sun
Microcirculatory Research Laboratory, Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Transplantation 75:761-9. 2003....
- Management of hepatobiliary cystadenocarcinomaShailesh Shrikhande
Shrikhande Clinic, Mumbai, India
Dig Surg 20:60-3. 2003..The patient remains asymptomatic at 2 years following surgery. The importance of differentiating these rare tumors from hepatic hydatid cysts, especially in areas where the disease is endemic, is highlighted in this case report...
- Neurokinin-1 receptor expression and its potential effects on tumor growth in human pancreatic cancerHelmut Friess
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Lab Invest 83:731-42. 2003..These findings illustrate that the NK-1R pathway is activated in human pancreatic cancer and has the potential to contribute to cancer cell growth, thus suggesting the existence of a neuro-cancer cell interaction in vivo...
- Connective tissue growth factor gene expression alters tumor progression in esophageal cancerAlexander Koliopanos
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
World J Surg 26:420-7. 2002....
- Myoid hamartoma of the liver--a novel variant of hamartoma developing in the hilar region and imitating a malignant liver tumorBarbara Gornicka
Department of Pathology, Medical University of Warsaw, uk Pawińskiego 7, 02 106 Warsaw, Poland
Med Sci Monit 10:CS23-6. 2004..We report here an unusual variant of hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma exhibiting a marked myoid differentiation and clinically imitating hilar malignancy...
- Bile duct infarction following intraarterial hepatic chemotherapy mimicking multiple liver metastasis: report of a case and review of the literatureShailesh Shrikhande
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Switzerland
Dig Dis Sci 47:338-44. 2002
- Persistence of impaired hepatic microcirculation after nonarterialized liver transplantation in the ratMichael N Tawadrous
Microcirculation Research Laboratory, Department of Physiology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Microcirculation 9:363-75. 2002..The present study sought to establish whether NOLT represents a reasonable model for the study of the hepatic microcirculation beyond the immediate reperfusion phase...
- Influences of the lysosomal associated membrane proteins (Lamp-1, Lamp-2) and Mac-2 binding protein (Mac-2-BP) on the prognosis of pancreatic carcinomaBeat M Künzli
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Cancer 94:228-39. 2002..The authors studied the expression of Lamp-1, Lamp-2, and Mac-2-BP in pancreatic carcinoma and evaluated their influence on patient prognosis...
- Changes in activin and activin receptor subunit expression in rat liver during the development of CCl4-induced cirrhosisElspeth J Gold
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology and Centre for Gene Research, University of Otago, Otago School of Medical Sciences, P O Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
Mol Cell Endocrinol 201:143-53. 2003..We conclude that the increased activin subunit expression is associated with apoptosis, rather than hepatic fibrosis and nodule formation...