Affiliation: University Hospital
- [Neurogenic appendicopathy: a frequent, almost unknown disease picture. Evaluation of 816 appendices and review of the literature]U Guller
Allgemeinchirurgische Klinik, Departement Chirurgie der Universität Basel, Kantonsspital Basel, Schweiz
Chirurg 72:684-9. 2001..We evaluated the incidence of NA in macroscopically normal specimens from patients presenting the symptoms of acute appendicitis and in incidental appendectomies...
- Laparoscopic vs open colectomy: outcomes comparison based on large nationwide databasesUlrich Guller
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Arch Surg 138:1179-86. 2003..Laparoscopic colectomy has significant advantages over open colectomy in the treatment of diverticular disease with respect to the length of hospital stay, routine hospital discharge, and postoperative morbidity and mortality...
- Sample size matters: a guide for surgeonsUlrich Guller
Department of Surgery, Divisions of General Surgery and Surgical Research, University of Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
World J Surg 29:601-5. 2005....
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy is associated with improved survival compared to level I & II axillary lymph node dissection in node negative breast cancer patientsI Langer
Division General Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:805-13. 2009....
- Isolated tumor cells in stage I & II colon cancer patients are associated with significantly worse disease-free and overall survivalB Weixler
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital Olten, Baslerstrasse 150, CH 4600, Olten, Switzerland
BMC Cancer 16:106. 2016..The objective of this prospective study was to assess the prognostic impact of isolated tumor cells (ITC, defined as cell deposits ≤ 0.2 mm) in loco-regional LN of stage I & II colon cancer patients...
- Discrete improvement in racial disparity in survival among patients with stage IV colorectal cancer: a 21-year population-based analysisA W Castleberry
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, 27710, Durham, NC, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 18:1194-204. 2014..Recently, multiple clinical trials have demonstrated improved outcomes in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. This study investigated if the improved survival is race dependent...
- Negative appendicectomy and perforation rates in patients undergoing laparoscopic surgery for suspected appendicitisU Guller
Department of Surgery, Division of Visceral Surgery and Transplantation, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Br J Surg 98:589-95. 2011..This trend analysis examined whether rates of negative appendicectomy and perforated appendicitis have decreased over time, and sought to evaluate clinical predictors associated with negative appendicectomy and perforated appendicitis...
- Phase I/II clinical trial of a nonreplicative vaccinia virus expressing multiple HLA-A0201-restricted tumor-associated epitopes and costimulatory molecules in metastatic melanoma patientsP Zajac
Institute of Surgical Research and Hospital Management, Department of Research, University Hospital of Basel, ZLF, Laboratory 404, Hebelstrasse 20, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Hum Gene Ther 14:1497-510. 2003..The results described here, in terms of safety and immunogenicity, support the use of this reagent in active specific immunotherapy...
- Propensity scores and the surgeonM Adamina
Division of General Surgery and Institute for Surgical Research and Hospital Management, University of Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Br J Surg 93:389-94. 2006..Unfortunately, many surgeons are unaware of this important analytical approach that has gained increasing stature in medical research. Thus, propensity score analyses are not used often in surgical studies...
- Early introduction of laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy during residencyS Daetwiler
Department of Surgery, Spital Limmattal, Schlieren, Switzerland
Br J Surg 94:634-41. 2007..However, few residency programmes incorporate the procedure. This study evaluated the safety and feasibility of the early introduction of laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy during residency...
- Elevated preoperative CEA is associated with worse survival in stage I-III rectal cancer patientsI Tarantino
Department of Surgery, Kantonsspital St Gallen, 9007 St Gallen, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 107:266-74. 2012..The objective of this investigation was to assess whether preoperative carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) level is an independent predictor of overall survival in rectal cancer patients...
- [Cecum volvulus--a frequently misdiagnosed disease picture. Results of a retrospective study of 26 patients and review of the literature]U Guller
Allgemeinchirurgische Klinik, Departement Chirurgie, Universitat Basel, Kantonsspital Basel
Swiss Surg 7:158-64. 2001..We specifically evaluated possible differences concerning clinical presentation, therapy and postoperative course of patients with vital bowel as opposed to necrotic cecum...
- Long-term outcomes of breast cancer patients after endoscopic axillary lymph node dissection: a prospective analysis of 52 patientsI Langer
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Breast Cancer Res Treat 90:85-91. 2005..The objective of this prospective study was to assess the oncological and functional outcomes in breast cancer patients after endoscopic ALND...
- Population-based trend analysis of laparoscopic Nissen and Toupet fundoplications for gastroesophageal reflux diseaseU Zingg
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Basel, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 24:3080-5. 2010..This study was designed to analyze trends in the use of Nissen versus Toupet fundoplications, and corresponding short-term outcomes during a 10-year period between 1995 and 2004...