Marc Y Donath
Affiliation: University Hospital
- Effects of gevokizumab on glycemia and inflammatory markers in type 2 diabetesClaudia Cavelti-Weder
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Care 35:1654-62. 2012..Gevokizumab is a novel, human-engineered monoclonal anti-IL-1β antibody. We evaluated the safety and biological activity of gevokizumab in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- IL-1β activation as a response to metabolic disturbancesMarc Y Donath
University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Cell Metab 12:427-8. 2010..A recent report in Nature Immunology (Masters et al., 2010) identifies amyloid polypeptide as an additional enhancer of IL-1β production...
- Type 2 diabetes as an inflammatory diseaseMarc Y Donath
Clinic of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University Hospital Basel, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Rev Immunol 11:98-107. 2011....
- Inflammation in obesity and diabetes: islet dysfunction and therapeutic opportunityMarc Y Donath
Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism and Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Cell Metab 17:860-72. 2013..In this article, we describe the physiology and pathology of the immune system during obesity and diabetes with a focus on islet inflammation, the IL-1β pathway, and clinical translation...
- Islet inflammation impairs the pancreatic beta-cell in type 2 diabetesMarc Y Donath
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, and Center for Integrated Human Physiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Physiology (Bethesda) 24:325-31. 2009..We propose that this insulitis contributes to the decrease in beta-cell mass and the impaired insulin secretion observed in patients with Type 2 diabetes...
- Diabetes mellitus Type 2--the new face of an old ladyKatharina Timper
Clinic of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 142:w13635. 2012..This review will highlight recent pathophysiological aspects of type 2 diabetes, actual diagnostic and treatment guidelines and discuss some possible upcoming new therapeutic strategies...
- A role for interleukin-22 in the alleviation of metabolic syndromeElise Dalmas
Clinic of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, and the Department of Biomedicine, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Nat Med 20:1379-81. 2014..Two new studies in mice indicate treatment with interleukin-22 restores mucosal immunity in diabetes and alleviates metabolic disease, resulting in improved glycemic control...
- Interleukin-6 enhances insulin secretion by increasing glucagon-like peptide-1 secretion from L cells and alpha cellsHelga Ellingsgaard
Clinic for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and Department Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Nat Med 17:1481-9. 2011..This previously unidentified endocrine loop implicates IL-6 in the regulation of insulin secretion and suggests that drugs modulating this loop may be useful in type 2 diabetes...
- How biologics targeting the IL-1 system are being considered for the treatment of type 2 diabetesMarianne Böni-Schnetzler
Clinic for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Br J Clin Pharmacol 76:263-8. 2013..Currently, long lasting and specific IL-1β blocking antibodies are being evaluated in clinical trials and this may lead to a novel cytokine-based treatment for type 2 diabetes. ..