Genomes and Genes
University of Zurich
Organization: University of Zurich
- Hysteresis effects of the subjective visual vertical during continuous quasi-static whole-body roll rotationA Palla
Neurology Department, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Prog Brain Res 171:271-5. 2008..These results demonstrate static hysteresis for SVV estimation...
- Metabotropic glutamate receptors: intracellular signaling pathwaysUrs Gerber
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Pharmacol 7:56-61. 2007..Characterization of these novel transduction mechanisms is providing new insights into the roles of metabotropic glutamate receptors in the regulation and modulation of diverse functions in the nervous system...
- Deposition of fluoride on enamel surfaces released from varnishes is limited to vicinity of fluoridation siteT Attin
Department of Operative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, Georg August University Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Clin Oral Investig 11:83-8. 2007..Within the first day after application, intra-oral-fluoride release from the tested fluoride varnish Duraphat leads to KOH-soluble fluoride uptake only in enamel samples located in close vicinity to the fluoridation site...
- [Imported coenurosis in sheep]G Schweizer
Department für Nutztiere, Universitat Zurich
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 148:490-9. 2006..The locations corresponded with the clinical findings. Despite Praziquantel or Oxfendazol treatment, living protoscoleces could be found in the parasite cysts...
- Influence of pretreatment polarographically measured oxygenation levels in spontaneous canine tumors treated with radiation therapyCarla Rohrer Bley
Section of Diagnostic Imaging and Radiation Oncology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Strahlenther Onkol 182:518-24. 2006..The aim of the present study was to investigate the impact of pretreatment oxygen level measurements in spontaneous canine tumors on treatment outcome...
- The bonding area of intra- and extra-coronal tooth preparationsWerner H Mörmann
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, Center for Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, Zurich, CH 8032, Switzerland
Am J Dent 19:201-5. 2006..area measurements (mm2) using the Cerec digital mouth camera in vitro and to analyze a collection of 514 Cerec camera in vivo optical impressions of preparations from 274 patients according to the size of preparation/bonding area (mm2)..
- Antigen presentation in autoimmunity and CNS inflammation: how T lymphocytes recognize the brainBurkhard Becher
Neurology Department, Division for Neuroimmunology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:532-43. 2006..This review will discuss the recent advances in this field of research and we will discuss the journey of an auto-reactive T cell from its site of activation into perivascular spaces and further into the target tissue...
- Macromineral absorption in the black rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis) compared with the domestic horseMarcus Clauss
Division of Zoo Animals, Exotic Pets and Wildlife, University of Zurich, Switzerland
J Nutr 136:2017S-2020S. 2006
- Habitual use of the primate forelimb is reflected in the material properties of subchondral bone in the distal radiusKristian J Carlson
Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine, Stony Brook University, USA
J Anat 208:659-70. 2006..tensile or non-weight-bearing regimes indicates that subchondral apparent density in the distal radial articular surface distinguishes modes of habitually supporting of body mass...
- Quantitative profiling of housekeeping and Epstein-Barr virus gene transcription in Burkitt lymphoma cell lines using an oligonucleotide microarrayMichele Bernasconi
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital of Zurich, August Forel Strasse 1, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Virol J 3:43. 2006..We hypothesized that transcription levels of EBNA1, the gene essential for EBV persistence within an infected cell, are similar in BL cell lines...
- Differential dependence of axo-dendritic and axo-somatic GABAergic synapses on GABAA receptors containing the alpha1 subunit in Purkinje cellsJean Marc Fritschy
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurosci 26:3245-55. 2006..In contrast, maintenance of axo-somatic GABAergic synapses does not depend on functional GABAA receptors, suggesting differential regulation in distinct subcellular compartments...
- Anesthesia and periinterventional morbidity of rigid bronchoscopy for tracheobronchial foreign body diagnosis and removalMaren Tomaske
Emergency Department, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Paediatr Anaesth 16:123-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate anesthetic and periinterventional morbidity of a straightforward regime using rigid bronchoscopy to rule out or remove a tracheobronchial foreign body in children with suspicion of FBA...
- Changes in vascularity and blood volume as a result of photodynamic therapy can be assessed with power Doppler ultrasonographyStefanie Ohlerth
Section of Diagnostic Imaging and Radio Oncology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Lasers Surg Med 38:229-34. 2006..One principal mechanism of photodynamic therapy (PDT) in tumors is destruction of tumor-associated vasculature. In the present study, the vascular effects of PDT in tumors were investigated with power Doppler ultrasonography...
- Energy and fibre intake in a group of captive giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) offered increasing amounts of browseJ M Hatt
Division of Zoo Animals and Exotic Pets, Vetsuisse Faculty University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 52:485-90. 2005..Whether additional browse supplementation will lead to increased intakes in a feeding scenario with restricted concentrate provision can be suspected but remains to be demonstrated...
- Vacuolar transporters and their essential role in plant metabolismEnrico Martinoia
Institute of Plant Biology, University of Zurich, Zollikerstr 107, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
J Exp Bot 58:83-102. 2007..An overview is given of the main features of the transporters present in the tonoplast of plant cells in terms of their function, regulation, and relationships with the microheterogeneity of the vacuome...
- Personality, aging self-perceptions, and subjective health: a mediation modelCaroline Moor
Center for Gerontology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Aging Hum Dev 63:241-57. 2006..Unlike many predictors of subjective health, such as age, gender, socio-cultural differences, actual health, or personality traits, negative attitudes about one's own aging may be modified through adequate intervention...
- Congenital prothrombotic disorders in children with peripheral venous and arterial thrombosesManuela Albisetti
Division of Hematology, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Acta Haematol 117:149-55. 2007..To evaluate the prevalence of congenital prothrombotic disorders in children with peripheral venous and arterial thromboses...
- [Pulmonary vasculitis]Rudolf Speich
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsspital, Zurich
Ther Umsch 65:289-93. 2008..This paper will review clinical aspects of pulmonary involvement in the systemic vasculitides...
- Genetic variation and covariation of aphid life-history traits across unrelated host plantsC Vorburger
Institute of Zoology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Bull Entomol Res 98:543-53. 2008..Alternative explanations are discussed...
- Vertical perturbations of human gait: organisation and adaptation of leg muscle responsesV Bachmann
Spinal Cord Injury Center, University Hospital Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Exp Brain Res 186:123-30. 2008..This is assumed to be due to the required compensation of the perturbations by polysynaptic spinal reflexes released following the perturbations. The findings underline the importance of load receptor input for the control of locomotion...
- Parapharyngeal neuroglial heterotopia extending through the skull base in a neonate with airway obstructionThierry A G M Huisman
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, University Hospital Zurich, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
J Pediatr Surg 42:1764-7. 2007..Preoperative identification of intracranial extension is essential for planning surgery to prevent postoperative cerebrospinal fluid leaks or possible meningitis...
- Metabolic acidosis: new insights from mouse modelsCarsten A Wagner
Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Human Integrative Physiology ZIHP, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 16:471-6. 2007..This review summarizes recent insight, gained primarily from mouse models, into the mechanisms whereby the kidney regulates and adapts acid excretion...
- [Comment on the case: "A request for intensive care in spite of a palliative treatment concept"]Nikola Biller-Andorno
Institut für Biomedizinische Ethik, Ethik Zentrum, Universitat Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 96:679-80. 2007
- The Cape element in the Afrotemperate flora: from Cape to Cairo?Chloe Galley
Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Biol Sci 274:535-43. 2007..Dating estimates show that the migration into tropical East Africa has occurred in the last 17 Myr, consistent with the Mio-Pliocene formation of the mountains in this area...
- Association study of cholesterol-related genes in Alzheimer's diseaseM Axel Wollmer
Division of Psychiatry Research, University of Zurich, August Forel Str 1, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Neurogenetics 8:179-88. 2007..004). We conclude that genetic variants investigated in this study may be associated with a moderate modification of the risk for AD in some samples...
- Adult age differences in errand planning: the role of task familiarity and cognitive resourcesMatthias Kliegel
Department of Psychology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Exp Aging Res 33:145-61. 2007....
- Type II Na+-Pi cotransporters in osteoblast mineral formation: regulation by inorganic phosphatePatrik Lundquist
Institute for Physiology and Center for Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Cell Physiol Biochem 19:43-56. 2007..Their expression thus seem regulated by phosphate in a manner consistent with their playing a role in transcellular P(i) flux during mineralization...
- WNK4, as thiazides, shuts off NaCl reabsorption to stimulate Na/K exchangeFrancois Verrey
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1305-8. 2007
- Novel biomimetic affinity ligands for human tissue plasminogen activatorFang Wu
Department of Biochemistry, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355:673-8. 2007..The designed affinity matrix A showed high efficiency to purify sc-tpa from the crude samples with 18-fold of purification...
- A combined immunofluorescence and fluorescent in situ hybridization assay for single cell analyses of dental plaque microorganismsRudolf Gmür
Institute of Oral Biology, Section of Oral Microbiology and General Immunology, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
J Microbiol Methods 69:402-5. 2007....
- Sealing smooth enamel surfaces with a newly devised adhesive patch: a radiochemical in vitro analysisPatrick R Schmidlin
Clinic for Preventive Denstistry, Periodontology and Cariology, Center for Dental and Oral Medicine and Cranio Maxillifacial Surgery, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, 8028 Zurich, Switzerland
Dent Mater 21:545-50. 2005..To assess the enamel-protective potential of a newly devised adhesive patch when used as a smooth surface sealant...
- Sex and immunity in the yellow dung fly Scathophaga stercorariaG A Schwarzenbach
Zoology Museum, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Evol Biol 18:455-63. 2005..We also measured the heritability of PO activity. The sexes differed in haemolymph PO activity and PO was significantly affected by age, but not by copulation or egg laying. There was significant heritable variation for haemolymph PO...
- A neural network approach to the acoustic startle reflex and prepulse inhibitionL Leumann
Artificial Intelligence Lab, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Brain Res Bull 56:101-10. 2001..Relations between stimuli, behavior (motor output) and the underlying architecture are discussed. Potentially, this modeling technique can be extended to investigate the impact of drugs and higher brain regions on PPI...
- Effect of chronic phenelzine treatment on REM sleep: report of three patientsH P Landolt
University of California at San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, CA, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 25:S63-7. 2001..06). This observation indicates that compensatory REM sleep mechanisms may occur in wakefulness during chronic MAOI treatment...
- Steps towards constructing a global comparative risk analysis for alcohol consumption: determining indicators and empirical weights for patterns of drinking, deciding about theoretical minimum, and dealing with different consequencesJ Rehm
Addiction Research Institute, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Addict Res 7:138-47. 2001..In addition, using methodology based on aggregate data, patterns were relevant for attributing harms for men but not women...
- [Implantation of synthetic mesh for the closing of abdominal wall ruptures in the ventral flank of cows: a retrospective study of 16 cases]U Koller
Veterinär Chirurgische Klinik der Universität Zürich
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 143:351-8. 2001..Synthetic mesh was used successfully to close the defect in 15 animals. The functional as well as the cosmetic result of the described operation was good to excellent...
- The anorectic effect of a chronic peripheral infusion of amylin is abolished in area postrema/nucleus of the solitary tract (AP/NTS) lesioned ratsT A Lutz
Institute of Veterinary Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:1005-11. 2001..Further, we tested the role of the AP/NTS region in mediating the anorectic effects of high doses of amylin and its receptor agonist salmon calcitonin (sCT) after an acute single injection...
- [Therapy of chronic urticaria and recurrent Quincke edema]T M Kundig
Dermatologische Klinik, Universitatsspital Zurich
Ther Umsch 58:321-4. 2001..Therefore this article will first briefly describe the most frequent subforms of urticaria and relapsing angioedema, and then discuss their management and treatment...
- A characteristic EEG pattern in 4p-syndrome: case report and review of the literatureA Zankl
Division of Medical Genetics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 160:123-7. 2001..We report a patient with PRDS and the typical EEG pattern and review 14 WHS patients with similar EEG findings reported in the literature...
- Evolution of floral symmetryP K Endress
Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Plant Biol 4:86-91. 2001....
- Intraoperative validation of functional magnetic resonance imaging and cortical reorganization patterns in patients with brain tumors involving the primary motor cortexJ Fandino
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neuroradiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurosurg 91:238-50. 1999....
- Detection of new Enterocytozoon genotypes in faecal samples of farm dogs and a catA Mathis
Institute of Parasitology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Parasite 6:189-93. 1999..Enterocytozoon seem to be ubiquitous and consist of many genotypes in various naturally infected animal species...
- Comparative study to determine the optimal melatonin dosage form for the alleviation of jet lagA Suhner
University of Zurich Travel Clinic, Switzerland
Chronobiol Int 15:655-66. 1998..The lower physiological dose of 0.5 mg was almost as effective as the pharmacological dose of 5.0 mg. Only the hypnotic properties of melatonin, sleep quality and sleep latency, were significantly greater with the 5.0-mg dose...
- [Driving fitness/driving capacity of patients treated with methadone]R Hauri-Bionda
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitat Zurich Irchel
Schweiz Med Wochenschr 128:1538-47. 1998..In making the final medical judgement on driving ability, the presence of a mixed drug use and the personality of the person in question are of far greater importance...
- Human hippocampus establishes associations in memoryK Henke
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Hippocampus 7:249-56. 1997..Our results indicate that the hippocampal formation may be particularly involved in the establishment of associations among components of an episode in memory...
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas: prognosis and quality-of-life issuesR Dummer
Department of Dermatology, University of Zurich Medical School, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Lymphoma 1:S21-5. 2000..Due to the anatomical localization, these lymphomas have significant impact on the quality of life of the patient...
- High pressure simulations of biomoleculesEmanuele Paci
Laboratoire de Chimie Biophysique, ISIS, Universite Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1595:185-200. 2002..Another purpose of this review is to try to point out potential future studies that may be both interesting and feasible, with constantly increasing computing power...
- Arterial inflammation and atherosclerosisBurkhard Ludewig
Institute of Experimental Immunology, Department of Pathology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Cardiovasc Med 12:154-9. 2002..The evidence to date suggests that the mutual chronic perpetuation of immune mediated vascular inflammation and cholesterol-induced atherosclerosis is a key step in atherogenesis...
- Successes and drawbacks in the caries-preventive use of fluorides--lessons to be learnt from historyT M Marthaler
Clinic for Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, Center for Dentistry, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:129-40. 2003....
- [Forgetting : theories and potential mechanisms]Isabelle M Mansuy
Ecole Fédérale Polytechnique de Zurich Université de Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Suisse
Med Sci (Paris) 21:83-8. 2005..This review provides a brief account of the main features of forgetting and a summary of the most recent findings on its potential mechanisms...
- The influence of cortical maturation on the BOLD response: an fMRI study of visual cortex in childrenValentine L Marcar
University of Zurich, Institute of Psychology, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Pediatr Res 56:967-74. 2004....
- Serial EEG findings in sporadic and iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseHeinz Gregor Wieser
Department of Neurology, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Neurophysiol 115:2467-78. 2004..To study temporal and spatial development of EEG patterns in sporadic and iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease patients...
- Transfer of motor performance in an obstacle avoidance task to different walking conditionsTania Lam
Spinal Cord Injury Center, Balgrist University Hospital, Forchstrasse 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurophysiol 92:2010-6. 2004..The results are discussed in the context of emerging concepts in the neural control of walking and motor learning...
- A WNT4 mutation associated with Müllerian-duct regression and virilization in a 46,XX womanAnna Biason-Lauber
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 351:792-8. 2004..WNT4 appears to be important in the development and maintenance of the female phenotype in women, by means of the regulation of müllerian-duct formation and control of ovarian steroidogenesis...
- Shape discrimination by wasps (Paravespula germanica) at the food source: generalization among various types of contrastMiriam Lehrer
Department of Neurobiology, Institute of Zoology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 190:651-63. 2004..Thus, wasps generalize the learned shape from one colour to another, as well as between colour contrast, luminance contrast, and motion contrast...
- Social norms and human cooperationErnst Fehr
University of Zurich, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics, Blumlisalpstrasse 10, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Trends Cogn Sci 8:185-90. 2004..Moreover, the explicit study of sanctioning behavior provides instruments for measuring social norms and has also led to deeper insights into the proximate and ultimate forces behind human cooperation...
- Molecular tools for studies on the transmission biology of Echinococcus multilocularisP Deplazes
Institute of Parasitology, University of Zurich, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Parasitology 127:S53-61. 2003..In intermediate rodent hosts, PCR is routinely used in epidemiological studies for identifying E. multilocularis from liver lesions which are often very small, atypical or calcified...
- Modulation of rhythmic brain activity by diazepam: GABA(A) receptor subtype and state specificityC Kopp
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:3674-9. 2004....
- Lifespan-developmental differences in physiologic reactivity to loud tones in trauma victims: a pilot studyAndreas Maercker
University Zurich, Switzerland
Psychol Rep 93:941-8. 2003..Covariance analysis yielded one significant difference, mean skin conductance response, with a higher mean for the younger group. Results are discussed in light of its limitations and further prospects...
- Neural mechanisms in insect navigation: polarization compass and odometerThomas Labhart
Zoologisches Institut der Universitat, Winterthurerstr 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Neurobiol 12:707-14. 2002..The odometer for measuring travelling distances in honeybees relies on optic flow experienced during flight, whereas desert ants most probably use proprioreceptive cues...
- Attritional wear and abrasive surface alterations of composite resin materials in vitroT N Göhring
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Dent 30:119-27. 2002....
- Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of some recently established coryneform bacteriaG Funke
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 40:2874-8. 1996..Most significantly, for C. amycolatum strains the MICs at which 90% of isolates are inhibited were > or = 32 micrograms/ml for nearly all agents. However, all 480 strains examined were susceptible to glycopeptide antibiotics...
- Conference on Transmissible Spongiform EncephalopathiesAdriano Aguzzi; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Gordon Research Conference on Staphylococcal DiseasesBRIGITTE BERGER BACHI; Fiscal Year: 2003..S. This will afford a unique and rich opportunity for fellowship and scientific exchange between young and established investigators in the field. ..