Genomes and Genes
University of Basel
Organization: University of Basel
- Reduction in the proportion of fevers associated with Plasmodium falciparum parasitaemia in Africa: a systematic reviewValérie D'Acremont
Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 9:240. 2010..The objective of this systematic review was to estimate the change in the Proportion of Fevers associated with Plasmodium falciparum parasitaemia (PFPf) over the past 20 years in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Personal and environmental factors associated with active commuting to school in SwitzerlandBettina Bringolf-Isler
Department of Environmental Health, Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Basel, Steinengraben 49, CH 4051 Basel, Switzerland
Prev Med 46:67-73. 2008..To assess whether prevalence of active commuting and regular car trips to school varies across communities and language regions in Switzerland and to determine personal and environmental correlates...
- Changes in plasma copeptin, the c-terminal portion of arginine vasopressin during water deprivation and excess in healthy subjectsGabor Szinnai
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3973-8. 2007..Copeptin is the C-terminal part of provasopressin and has been shown to be a useful tool to indicate AVP concentration in critically ill patients...
- Correlation of protein structure and dynamics to scalar couplings across hydrogen bondsHans Jürgen Sass
Biozentrum and Department Chemie, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Am Chem Soc 129:5898-903. 2007..In contrast, MD averaging with implicit water models deteriorates the agreement with experiment for all proteins. The differing behavior can be explained by an artifactual lengthening of H-bonds caused by the implicit water models...
- Visions for novel biophysical elucidations of extracellular matrix networksJurgen Engel
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Biozentrum, University of Basel Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39:311-8. 2007..Work needs to be extended to large integrated systems and the functions of molecular machines need to be explored. Electron tomography, fluorescence resonance energy transfer, and other biophysical techniques are very promising...
- Age-related changes in the circadian and homeostatic regulation of human sleepChristian Cajochen
Centre for Chronobiology, Psychiatric University Clinics, Basel, Switzerland
Chronobiol Int 23:461-74. 2006..Our data suggest that manipulations of the circadian timing system, rather than the sleep homeostat, may offer a potential strategy to alleviate age-related decrements in sleep and daytime alertness levels...
- Structural development of free or coordinated 4'-(4-pyridyl)-2,2':6',2''-terpyridine ligands through N-alkylation: new strategies for metallamacrocycle formationEdwin C Constable
Department of Chemistry, University of Basel, Spitalstrasse 51, 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Chemistry 12:4600-10. 2006....
- Cytokine-induced metabolic effects in human adipocytes are independent of endogenous nitric oxidePhilippe Linscheid
Dept of Research, Univ Hospital Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E1068-77. 2006..We conclude that, in human adipocytes, endogenous NO is not involved in metabolic regulation during either basal or cytokine-activated conditions...
- Rapid urban malaria appraisal (RUMA) I: epidemiology of urban malaria in OuagadougouShr Jie Wang
Swiss Tropical Institute, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 4:43. 2005..Rapid urbanization in sub-Saharan Africa has a major impact on malaria epidemiology. While much is known about malaria in rural areas in Burkina Faso, the urban situation is less well understood...
- Dual nature of the genome: genes for the individual life and genes for the evolutionary progress of the populationWerner Arber
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
IUBMB Life 57:263-6. 2005..Finally, the general relevance of the postulated duality of the genome for our world view is briefly mentioned...
- Unilateral or asymmetric localization of lambda waves is not a pathologic findingPeter Weber
Department of Neuropediatrics, University Children s Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
J Child Neurol 20:250-1. 2005..The report documents that asymmetric lambda waves and photic driving might be normal variants, not requiring further investigation...
- Swiss epidemiology needs Swiss epidemiologistsUrsula Ackermann-Liebrich
Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Basel, Switzerland
Soz Praventivmed 50:31-2. 2005
- Systemic immediate allergic reactions to arthropod stings and bitesAndreas J Bircher
Allergy Unit, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Dermatology 210:119-27. 2005..Currently, primary prevention by avoidance of stings and bites, and adequate instruction of sensitized individuals in the use of emergency drugs are mandatory...
- Indication for psychotherapy in offspring of a parent affected by a chronic somatic disease (e.g. multiple sclerosis)B Steck
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Psychopathology 38:38-48. 2005..In our sample, half of the children and adolescents were estimated to benefit from individual psychotherapy, which might enhance their ability to cope with the parental illness...
- Effectiveness of global health partnerships: will the past repeat itself?Nicolaus Lorenz
Swiss Centre for International Health of the Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 85:567-8. 2007
- Supporting medication adherence in renal transplantation--the SMART studySabina De Geest
Institute of Nursing Science, University of Basel and Clinical Nursing Science, University Hospital of Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 137:125S-127S. 2007
- Evolution of two distinct phylogenetic lineages of the emerging human pathogen Mycobacterium ulceransMichael Kaser
Swiss Tropical Institute, Socinstr, 57, 4002 Basel, Switzerland
BMC Evol Biol 7:177. 2007..ulcerans, to define features of a hypothetical M. ulcerans most recent common ancestor and to confirm its origin from Mycobacterium marinum...
- Dyslipidemia in HIV-infected individuals: from pharmacogenetics to pharmacogenomicsPhilip E Tarr
Infectious Disease Service, Infektiologie and Spitalhygiene, Kantonsspital Bruderholz, University of Basel, 4101 Bruderholz, Switzerland
Pharmacogenomics 11:587-94. 2010..In an effort to explain an increasing proportion of the heritability of complex metabolic traits, ongoing large-scale gene resequencing studies are focusing on the effects of rare SNPs and structural genetic variants...
- How the immune system detects lipid antigensGennaro De Libero
Experimental Immunology, Department of Biomedicine University Hospital, University of Basel, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Prog Lipid Res 49:120-7. 2010..The immunogenicity of lipids is being exploited in novel approaches to immunotherapy, including inhibition of autoimmunity and anti-cancer and bacterial vaccines...
- Longitudinal analysis of early semantic networks: preferential attachment or preferential acquisition?Thomas T Hills
Cognitive and Decision Sciences, University of Basel, Switzerland
Psychol Sci 20:729-39. 2009....
- Physical activity, bodyweight, health and fear of negative evaluation in primary school childrenT Hartmann
Institute of Exercise and Health Sciences, University of Basel, Brüglingen Basel, Switzerland
Scand J Med Sci Sports 20:e27-34. 2010..05) indicating that enhanced weight may be a risk factor for FNE. In conclusion, the associations among high FNE, low PA and increased BMI should be considered when promoting an active lifestyle in children...
- Rationale and background as basis for a new classification of the ectodermal dysplasiasPeter H Itin
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, Basel, Switzerland
Am J Med Genet A 149:1973-6. 2009..This is much more common than earlier anticipated and with the classification of ectodermal dysplasia on the basis of molecular diagnosis a new avenue is opened for symptom complexes which were impossible to classify in former times...
- Affinity threshold for thymic selection through a T-cell receptor-co-receptor zipperEd Palmer
Department of Nephrology and Biomedicine, Laboratory of Transplantation Immunology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Nat Rev Immunol 9:207-13. 2009....
- [The role of the dentist in modern forensic age determination]Dorothea C Berndt
Klinik für zahnärztliche Chirurgie, Radiologie, Mund und Kieferheilkunde, Universitat Basel, Hebelstrasse 3, CH 4056 Basel
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 118:1073-88. 2008..Therefore dentists are more and more appointed to this job. There are varieties of methods in age estimation. Dental examination and analysis of panoramic x-ray are usually used for dental age estimation...
- Analyzing refractive index changes and differential bending in microcantilever arraysFrancois Huber
NCCR Nanoscale Science, Institute of Physics, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 82, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Rev Sci Instrum 79:086110. 2008..Moreover, to obtain a deeper understanding of molecular stress formation, the differential curvature of cantilevers is analyzed by positioning the laser spots along the surface of the levers during pH experiments...
- Anteroposterior regionalization of the brain: genetic and comparative aspectsRobert Lichtneckert
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Adv Exp Med Biol 628:32-41. 2008....
- Antibodies as pharmacologic tools for studies on the regulation of energy balanceKarl G Hofbauer
Applied Pharmacology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Nutrition 24:791-7. 2008..We selected the melanocortin-4 receptor (MC4R) as a target because its blockade could provide a treatment for anorexia and cachexia...
- Signal-induced repression: the exception or the rule in developmental signaling?Markus Affolter
Biozentrum der Universitat Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Dev Cell 15:11-22. 2008..These new findings raise the interesting possibility that this repressive mode of action is shared by many or most developmental signaling pathways...
- Analysis of twin of eyeless regulation during early embryogenesis in Drosophila melanogasterJorge Blanco
Department of Cell Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Gene Expr Patterns 8:523-7. 2008..Whereas Bicoid, Dorsal and Torso signaling synergistically act as activators, Hunchback, Knirps and Decapentaplegic act as repressors...
- Comparing growth development of Myriophyllum spp. in laboratory and field experiments for ecotoxicological testingKatja Knauer
University of Basel Program of Sustainability Research, Klingelbergstr 50, 4051 Basel, Switzerland
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 15:322-31. 2008..This study provides data on the endpoints biomass, plant length and root development...
- Fructosyltransferase mutants specify a function for the beta-fructosidase motif of the sucrose-binding box in specifying the fructan type synthesizedTita Ritsema
Department of Molecular Plant Physiology, University Utrecht, Padualaan 8, CH, The Netherlands
Plant Mol Biol 54:853-63. 2004..This is in agreement with the observed activities of the chimerical proteins and indicates that the beta -fructosidase motif of the sucrose-binding box is specifying the fructan type synthesized...
- It takes time to make a pinky: unexpected insights into how SHH patterns vertebrate digitsRolf Zeller
Developmental Genetics, Centre for Biomedicine, University of Basel Medical School, Mattenstrasse 28, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Sci STKE 2004:pe53. 2004..In addition, a fraction of cells changes their SHH responsiveness progressively during limb bud pattering, which is indicative of local nonlinear modulation of cell fate specification...
- The enthalpy of acyl chain packing and the apparent water-accessible apolar surface area of phospholipidsH Heerklotz
Department of Biochemistry, Health Sciences Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Biophys J 80:271-9. 2001..The heat capacity changes suggest about three methylene groups (ASAap approximately 100 A2) per LPC remain exposed to water in a micelle (DAPC: 2 CH2/70 A2)...
- A two-channel four-dimensional image recording and viewing system with automatic drift correctionT R Burglin
Division of Cell Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
J Microsc 200:75-80. 2000..Second channel live GFP recordings are presently limited by the fact that the high intensity of the blue light heats and kills C. elegans embyros quickly. To view and annotate the stacks a MacOS viewing application was developed...
- Potential prognostic value of mitogen-activated protein kinase activity for disease-free survival of primary breast cancer patientsH Mueller
Departments of Research and Gynecology, University Women s Clinics, Kantonsspital Basel, and Stiftung Tumorbank Basel, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 89:384-8. 2000..A survival analysis demonstrated that the MAP kinase activity in primary breast tumors is potentially prognostic for relapse-free survival of patients...
- [Significance of endoscopic axillary dissection in invasive breast carcinoma after introduction of the "sentinel lymph node" method]T Kocher
Departement Chirurgie, Universitat Basel
Swiss Surg 6:121-7. 2000..In this prospective study the axilloscopic approach was evaluated...
- Genomic distribution and functional characterisation of two distinct and conserved Plasmodium falciparum var gene 5' flanking sequencesT S Voss
Swiss Tropical Institute, Socinstrasse 59, 4051, Basel, Switzerland
Mol Biochem Parasitol 107:103-15. 2000..Furthermore, these sequences provide new markers for the investigation of the chromosomal organisation of var genes...
- Gene duplication and recruitment of a specific tropomyosin into striated muscle cells in the jellyfish Podocoryne carneaH Groger
Institute of Zoology, University of Basel, CH 4051 Basel, Switzerland
J Exp Zool 285:378-86. 1999..J. Exp. Zool. (Mol. Dev. Evol.) 285:378-386, 1999...
- Premunition in Plasmodium falciparum infection: insights from the epidemiology of multiple infectionsT Smith
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 93:59-64. 1999..This has important implications for our understanding of immunity against P. falciparum, its ecological niche, and the epidemiological impact of interventions against it...
- [Malnutrition and mental functions]H B Stahelin
Geriatrische Universitätsklinik, Kantonsspital, Basel
Z Gerontol Geriatr 32:I27-30. 1999..Subtle dietary deficits can lead over many years to quantifiable impairment of cognitive performance. Severe dietary deficiency leading to major cognitive impairment is nevertheless rare...
- Polymorphism and interactions of a viral fusion peptide in a compressed lipid monolayerG Schwarz
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Biocenter of the University, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Biophys J 76:3167-75. 1999..Beyond a critical peptide/lipid ratio, the peptide's area requirement was found to become substantially enhanced, possibly because of the formation of water-filled pores...
- Structure, evolution and action of vitamin B6-dependent enzymesJ N Jansonius
Biozentrum University of Basel Klingelbergstrasse 70 CH 4056 Basel Switzerland
Curr Opin Struct Biol 8:759-69. 1998..Alanine racemase is the first known representative of this new fold. Significant progress has been made in understanding the allosteric effects in the tryptophan synthase reaction...
- Transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia: a lower incidence with prilocaine and bupivacaine than with lidocaineK F Hampl
Department of Anesthesia, University of Basel, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 88:629-33. 1998..Accordingly, the present, prospective double-blind study compares prilocaine with lidocaine and bupivacaine with respect to duration of action and relative risk of TNSs...
- 15N backbone dynamics of the S-peptide from ribonuclease A in its free and S-protein bound forms: toward a site-specific analysis of entropy changes upon foldingA T Alexandrescu
Department of Structural Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Switzerland
Protein Sci 7:389-402. 1998..Consequently, calculations that model the entropy of a residue in a denatured protein as that of a residue in a di- or tri-peptide, might over-estimate the magnitude of entropy changes upon folding...
- How lysophosphatidylcholine inhibits cell-cell fusion mediated by the envelope glycoprotein of human immunodeficiency virusS Gunther-Ausborn
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Biozentrum of the University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, Basel, CH 4056, Switzerland
Virology 235:201-8. 1997..These data indicate that gp120/gp41-induced fusion is inhibited by LPC because LPC affects viral protein-host cell binding and not because LPC prevented the formation of lipid intermediates required for fusion...
- Integrin and talin in the jellyfish Podocoryne carneaS Reber-Müller
Institute of Zoology, Biocenter Pharmacenter, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50, Basel, CH 4056, Switzerland
Cell Biol Int 25:753-69. 2001....
- Nontruncating APC germ-line mutations and mismatch repair deficiency play a minor role in APC mutation-negative polyposisK Heinimann
Research Group Human Genetics, Division of Medical Genetics, University Clinics, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Cancer Res 61:7616-22. 2001....
- Distinct forms of DAF in urine and bloodSylvie Miot
Department of Research, Immunonephrologie, Kantonsspital Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, 4031, Basel, Switzerland
J Immunol Methods 260:43-53. 2002..The concentration of soluble DAF in human serum was always lower than in the corresponding plasma, suggesting that this form might adhere to the clot during the coagulation process...
- [Structural dynamics and psychoanalysis -- plea for a dialogue]J Küchenhoff
Abt Psychotherapie und hygiene der Psychiatrischen Universitätsklinik Basel
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 72:S29-33. 2004..The structural dynamic psychopathology may likewise profit from psychoanalysis, mainly in terms of its therapeutic application...
- Bayesian age-stage modelling of Plasmodium falciparum sequestered parasite loads in severe malaria patientsT Smith
Swiss Tropical Institute, Socinstrasse 57, Postfach, CH 4002, Basel, Switzerland
Parasitology 129:289-99. 2004..The resulting models should prove a useful tool for cross-validating biochemical approaches for estimating the sequestered load...
- Precedence of cell-zona adhesion over cell-cell adhesion during marsupial blastocyst formation prohibits morula formation and ensures that both the pluriblast and trophoblast are superficialAnnetrudi Kress
Department of Anatomy, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Cells Tissues Organs 177:87-103. 2004..In 1-mm blastocysts, numerous vesicles contain rod-shaped crystalline inclusions...
- Weight change and cognitive performanceD Brubacher
Memory Clinic, Geriatric University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1163-7. 2004..To investigate whether under- or overweight and weight change is associated with cognitive performance of elderly citizens...
- Ataxin-10, the spinocerebellar ataxia type 10 neurodegenerative disorder protein, is essential for survival of cerebellar neuronsPia März
Institute of Physiology, Vesalgasse 1, University of Basel, 4051 Basel, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 279:35542-50. 2004..Knock down of SCA10 in primary neuronal cells by small interfering RNAs resulted in an increased apoptosis of cerebellar neurons, arguing for a loss-of-function phenotype in SCA10 patients...
- The G protein-coupled receptor rhodopsin in the native membraneDimitrios Fotiadis
M E Müller Institute for Microscopy, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
FEBS Lett 564:281-8. 2004..Finally, we compare our model with other currently available models describing the supramolecular structure of GPCRs in the membrane...
- Monitoring and assessment of acute lung injuryJürg Hammer
Division of Intensive Care and Pulmonology, University Children s Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Pediatr Pulmonol Suppl 26:123-4. 2004
- About the origin of European spelt ( Triticum spelta L.): allelic differentiation of the HMW Glutenin B1-1 and A1-2 subunit genesR H E Blatter
Institut für Prähistorische und Naturwissenschaftliche Archäologie, Universitat Basel, Spalenring 145, 4055, Basel, Switzerland
Theor Appl Genet 108:360-7. 2004..The conjoint differentiation of alleles of the A- and B-genome in European spelt suggests the introgression of a tetraploid wheat into free-threshing hexaploid wheat as the origin of European spelt...
- Attitudes of pediatricians regarding influenza self-immunization: a survey in a Swiss university children's hospitalUlrich Heininger
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital Basel, PO Box CH 4005, Basel, Switzerland
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:391-4. 2003..To assess the attitude toward influenza immunization of doctors among physicians in our hospital...
- Complex restriction enzymes: NTP-driven molecular motorsAude A Bourniquel
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, Klingelbergstrasse 50 70, Switzerland
Biochimie 84:1047-59. 2002....
- Introduction of pneumococcal vaccine to standard immunisation programmes in Europe: what are we waiting for?Ulrich Heininger
Division of Paediatric Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital Basel, PO Box, 4005 Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Pediatr 161:S125-6. 2002
- Polyomavirus BK nephropathy: a (re-)emerging complication in renal transplantationHans H Hirsch
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Basel, Switzerland
Am J Transplant 2:25-30. 2002..Current management aims at the judicious modification and/or reduction of immunosuppression which, in view of preceding or concurrent rejection, is not without risk...
- The T-cell receptor signalosome: a dynamic structure with expanding complexityGuy Werlen
Laboratory of Transplantation Immunology and Nephrology, Department of Research, University Hospital Basel, Hebelstrasse 20, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Curr Opin Immunol 14:299-305. 2002..This review describes how 'vertical' displacement mechanisms and lateral coalescence of lipid-raft-associated scaffold proteins combine to form distinct signalosomes, which control signal specificity...
- Self renewal of embryonic stem cells in the absence of feeder cells and exogenous leukaemia inhibitory factorC N Berger
Department of Research, Kantonsspital, Basel, Switzerland
Growth Factors 14:145-59. 1997....
- Analysis of Thymic Epithelial Precursor CellsGeorg Hollander; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..